Lets talk car audio....

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So with the new truck I am now thinking of putting a small subwoofer and possibly an amp for the speakers also. What kind of audio brands compare with Rockford Fosgate nowadays? Thats what I used to have in my car and the clarity and quality were unreal. Im just wondering if nowadays you can find maybe another cheaper brand with the same quality...

I have one of these in my future.

Rockford Fosgate R300-12 Single 12" 600W Powered Subwoofer#

So with the new truck I am now thinking of putting a small subwoofer and possibly an amp for the speakers also. What kind of audio brands compare with Rockford Fosgate nowadays? Thats what I used to have in my car and the clarity and quality were unreal. Im just wondering if nowadays you can find maybe another cheaper brand with the same quality...

Yeah i may get a small woofer like that. I had 2 P3s with a t10001bd amp which were nice. Im not into all that pounding bass lol. Im an old man now. I think im going to go with rockford component speakers and see if they give me enough bass...

What kind of space you have in the truck is it the 4 door with a rear bench/with an unused space under the bench seat? extended cab? is it a full size or small pick?

what kind of sound you want hard knocking bass from a bass bin or the lows of sub or both?

Last edited:
What kind of space you have in the truck is it the 4 door with a rear bench/with an unused space under the bench seat? extended cab? is it a full size or small pick?

Its a 4 door. 08 tundra double cab. Not too much space under a seat. I think i may have to get a shallow mount for under the seat...

Im talking more along the lines of door speakers now, not so much interesting in a subwoofer right now. Fronts are 6x9 and rear are 6.5

You keeping the factory head unit??? Is it the factory JBL unit premium head unit???

are you sure you have 6x9 says 6 x9 are not compatible with your ride

Last edited:
Memphis Audio. Made the switch, won't look back! I have a single 10" in a sealed box that sounds absolutely amazing! I've had guys in the car thinking I have 2 12's. It's all about the volume of the box and CLEAN power.

If you want quality you need an aftermarket head unit and amps to get a true signal processing system.

If you want to throw some new speakers on the factory system, assuming there arent any funky 2ohm amps from the factory, I think any speaker that isnt cheap paper with a tiny magnet will sound fine.

For subs the flat piston technology means you can throw something under that read seat that will sound good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-up-Tundra-Double-Cab-Dual-10-Sub-Box-Rockford-/320609514003

Last edited:
Memphis Audio. Made the switch, won't look back! I have a single 10" in a sealed box that sounds absolutely amazing! I've had guys in the car thinking I have 2 12's. It's all about the volume of the box and CLEAN power.

In the Rex?

component systems- i love infinity
subs- alpine amp w/ jl audio 12s- make your kidneys hurt!
i had this setup for awhile in a standard cab tacoma- make your ears bleed!!

+1 although I'm more about the bass. Bass amp can run all day at 1 ohm and only get luke warm. 4 channel for the fronts and super clean output even at stupid volumes. Still using MTX speakers and subs though, so can't comment there

I have always run and will always run Hi-Fonics amps, for their price and performance I have never had a problem. I have a Brutus 1000 that has survived 3 cars over the past 7-8 years

Subs, i always preferred Fosgate or for a more mild system Infinity have a clean sound.

I think im definitely going to run two component systems. Just have to determine how thats going to work with the stock speakers that are in there. I think i just want to get rockford because on eBay i can get two of their prime component systems for 110 bucks shipped which is a steal. I will probably get an amp down the road but it is not necessary.

Tempted to go infinity components but i dont want to be dissappointed in the least... I unfortunately like really nice audio. Which makes me spend 100 bucks on stupid headphones. A sub is possibly in my future but for now i want to see if the component systems can give me the bass i want...

Last edited:
Polk, Boston, and Infinity are in my opinion some of the best mids and highs ... their components are even better!

Infinity's Kappa series components is what I had setup in my last system, clean and clear!! Especially once I put them on a amp of their own.

We had the latest and greatest Fosgate components in my cousin's Eclipse, unfortunately they didn't last a year before the speaker literally started to come apart where the cone meets the magnet. Replaced with Bostin Accoustics mid-priced series and they sounded ALOT better than the Fosgates did, and so far are holding up just fine.

But their woofers I personally have never had issues with.

Fosgate used to be the best you could get back in the day, but I have heard that that drastically changed a while back. Boston Acoustics are great speakers, their components are hard to beat.

Back