Advice on a power inverter

RYC1966

Donating Member
Registered
Hello,

I am trying to build a mobile tool bench / cart with a powerful radio in it. I have a bunch of car audio amps and speakers / subs. The amps draw a significant amount of power. From what I have found there is brand astron that has 110 to 12 v @ 70 amps. The local car shop powers their stuff with 60 amp power supplies. Does anybody have advice on different brands of the power supplies? Any info is appreciated.

You said inverter. That converts DC to AC. You might want to look at a beefed up alternator that will produce the extra power you need from your vehicle, or will you have AC outlets available ? If so a simple power supply should handle your needs. Charles is in engineering I think and he can tell you what you need, but you need to know your max load and go from there.

I am new to the correct terms...what I am looking for is a power supply, inverter, converter...I do not know the correct term. I want to buy a part that takes 110v and puts out 12v. The reason is to power a bunch of car radio amps, some led lights, and the head unit. The amps at max draw 100 amps each and there are 2, a smaller amp that at max draws 50 amps, and the head unit / leds that would draw very little. The local stereo shop said for the 1000 watt amps they use a 60 amp power supply. I did not expect to see a $1000 price tag for the part on high end components...there are other brands that cost $350 or so and that is what the stereo shop suggested. I am looking for advice prior to placing the order and getting something way overkill or to small (I don't want to burn it up). Thanks again for the replies...it is helping my efforts

Do3 you are the man...that is exactly what I desire and for a fair price...thank you so much...

have you considered using home audio gear?? a decent receiver and some smaller speakers with a passive sub, or even a low powered home sub. would be simpler to wire then a complicated AC/DC conversion and multiple amps and such. Keep in mind that car audio speakers tend to have some pretty powerful magnets in them that are unshielded. could be detrimental to any magnetically sensative equipment in your tool box whereas home gear is generally shielded to protect sensative equipment in a typical home theater set-up
just my .02$

Back