Busa sound system radio mp3 ipod speaker system ....great sound for under $100

jbusa80

Registered
I've been wanting to have music on my bike since my first one (Honda F4). I got a Busa last year and felt it was worthy of all the doo-dads I ever wanted to put on a bike. I've seen busa tunes, that hump speaker deal, shark radio, etc., not to knock them but I wasn't paying that much money for sounds and the shark radio is actually priced good but the speakers are too big. So I was able to put together a nice sounding system by myself for under $100. If you already have a mp3 player you'd like to use it will only cost you around $70.

Here's what you will need: a small amp, 3.5 inch 2-way speakers 35 watts rms, mp3 player, additional wire Optional: switch, baffles for speakers

I bought the amp and speakers off ebay. This is similar to the amp I got: 2CH 500W 12V USB Mini AMP MP3 Car Motorcycle Amplifier | eBay

Speakers: NEW PAIR POLK AUDIO DB351 3.5" 2 WAY 105W CAR AUDIO SPEAKERS 105 WATT (747192112707) | eBay

Infinity Kappa 32.9cf 3-1/2" Kappa Series Coaxial 3.5" Car Stereo Speakers | eBay

I chose the Polk speakers because they were marine certified. The infinities sound good too though. Get whatever 3.5" speakers you want but the need to be rated 35 watt rms each or 70 watt rms per pair. Do not cheap out and get some that are 25 rms because you will blow them.

It's nice and loud and clear. You can hear it good until you get up to around 70mph, then the wind will begin to start to drown out the sound.

The sound clip above is with the amp set just over half power.

Now for the walk through of the install. I have some pics but they are after the fact, but you will get the idea.

First plan your job. I ran the rca cable or my ipod along the left side of the bike and I ran the speaker wires along the right side. I chose to put both speakers on the right side because of the wiring harness under the left panel. I suppose you could do some fanagaling so you could have one speakers on each side. I chose to use a switch to turn on the amp and I mounted that up on the right side too.

1. Mount your amp in the trunk. I used the 3M stuff and ended up using that and double sided tape since it kept coming unstuck with that fastener stuff. The amp will have 2 harnesses. One is for the speakers and the other is to power the amp, that harness will have a ground, power, and remote wire. I grounded at the bolt for the rear seat latch, the power I ran directly to positive on the battery, and the remote I ran into an on/off switch and I spliced that into the rear tail light. I did this so the amp can only come on while driving or if I turn the key all the way back to the P. I did this so I wouldn't have to worry about accidentally draining the battery.

100_0396.jpg

100_0397.jpg

100_0398.jpg

100_0402.jpg

100_0403.jpg

2. You can run your rca/aux cable up the left side. You will have to remove your side fairings and lift your gas tank for this install. There are cables you can zip tie to to keep it clean. Make sure you wrap any part of the cable you think can be exposed to heat. There should be excess wire but it tucks under the gas tank nicely when you're not using your radio.

3. Run your speaker wire up the right side. You will need extra wire for this. Remember to wrap wire as needed and use the type of connectors that slide in together. That way you don't have to cut wire if you need to do work on your bike. Also tape those connectors. You don't want them touching each other or the frame....causes grounding issues.

100_0394.jpg

100_0395.jpg

4. Maybe this step should be first but you need to cut your right panel and drop the speakers in. I used a protractor with a scribe on it to cut the holes. Just measure diameter of hole needed. Set your protractor at half of that and cut in your holes. It's optional to put baffles on the speakers on the underside of the panel. I just used some bolts and lock nuts I got from work to hold the speakers in place.

2 FOAM WATER & MUD BAFFLES FOR 3.5 INCH MARINE SPEAKERS | eBay

It doesn't do anything for sound its more to keep them protected. Also, if you speakers come with bass blockers use them. It's just a resister that you put in the positive wire on the speaker somewhere but I think it is good to them for this application.

100_0406.jpg

100_0404.jpg

I used some silicone to hold the baffles in place. They will squish some because the air dam is there.

5. Now you should be ready to test it out. If it sounds good button everything up.

Make sure to use the right connectors and wrap them. Its so convenient when you have to remove your fairings. Ask any questions if I didn't explain it clear enough or missed something.

100_0393.jpg

Also on the polk speakers...do they have the covers that cover up the speaker. So the cones are not exposed?

As a ex car audio installer a 3.5" speaker does not put out loud or good sound and i love polk speakers ive ran them for a long time and installed hundreds of sets of them. My personal opinion is that no one wants to listen to your music so keep it to yourself. Buy a good set of in helmet speakers and honestly you will love them and get alot more bang for your buck.

OK so I have seen jbusa80's set up and I liked it. I think I would have done the extra work to have one speaker on each side but to each his own. When I went riding with him through town (45 and under) I could hear his music loud clear if I kept up next to him but not so loud it was annoying. It was nice coming up to a stop and having something to listen to sitting for that green light. I myself will probably have helmet speakers as I do mostly highway riding which I don't think this setup would work for me. If I did mostly town riding I would be doing this setup for sure. Nice write up man. :thumbup:

Jbusa… question I am lost on this part

"the remote I ran into an on/off switch and I spliced that into the rear tail light. I did this so the amp can only come on while driving or if I turn the key all the way back to the P. "

According to the link you provided, for the power plug all I see is 2 wires. Red and black. You indicate (as shown by your pic) there is a 3rd wire? I do not see that in the pic.

Thanks Joe.

Card, these speakers do put out a good sound in my opinon and those I ride with. I had nice earbuds but I wanted a radio, if the cagers don't want to listen they can roll up their windows. I prefer it over wearing earbuds because I can still hear everything this way and honestly it's just f-in cool.

MrNYC, the polks did not come with any speaker covers. I found a link to my exact amp....seems like it was cheaper when I bought it and it came with the rca plug and some rinky dink tweeters MITZU 2CH 500W Car Audio Amplifier Motorcycle AMP ATV MIT-75R MP3 iPod Amplifier | eBay

So if you get this amp then it will have the remote wire, power, and ground on the one harness. Hope this helps. If you got the other amp I guess you'd want to put in an inline fuse and power it off the rear light so it doesn't drain the battery while sitting. You could still put a switch on it too if you wanted.

Nothing wrong with listening to a little Ja rule(I think thats right) at the light. Plus in Saginaw most people are bumping there tunes alot louder then this little setup. :D

Thanks Joe.

MrNYC, the polks did not come with any speaker covers. I found a link to my exact amp....seems like it was cheaper when I bought it and it came with the rca plug and some rinky dink tweeters MITZU 2CH 500W Car Audio Amplifier Motorcycle AMP ATV MIT-75R MP3 iPod Amplifier | eBay

So if you get this amp then it will have the remote wire, power, and ground on the one harness. Hope this helps. If you got the other amp I guess you'd want to put in an inline fuse and power it off the rear light so it doesn't drain the battery while sitting. You could still put a switch on it too if you wanted.

Ok thanks I will get this altogether soon and hook it up. My only change would be to try and find some marine grade speaker with the covers on them.. I just think it look better that having them exposed.

Back