LED for high beam?

Koops

Registered
I’ve had a 2008 Busa for a month now and recently been riding it in the dark. The high beam light is very poor: I’m amazed that Suzuki didn’t improve it for the gen 2 if this is normal! I want a simple improvement so don’t want to mess with HIDs. I could mount some LED saving lights and wire into the high beam circuit, I’m thinking mount from the mirror fixings or from the crash bungs (I don’t want to use the front fender mounts because of the shocks/vibration on the unsprung side of the suspension). Anyone done this?
Or much simpler would be to swap the high beam bulb for an LED one suitable for a projector lens: I’m thinking this one but only sold as a pair and quite expensive. Anyone got experience of this type of bulb? I’m a bit concerned that the reason for my poor high beam is a degraded projector lens: it’s not discoloured but is not clear when viewed from the outside, more like a white fog.

IMG_2611.png

I reckon you are better off buying a good used headlamp assembly off fleabay or similar site.
Why risk buying an expensive LED bulb that may not be suitable for the projector reflector, and the reflector may even be stuffed.
My Gen 1 hi-beam is great, no issues with the light intensity, colour, or distance it projects.
Hey, have you checked the beam on a beam setter to be certain its adjusted correctly?

I have LED high and low beam bulbs in my 2003 Gsxr1000.
The previous owner put them in the stock housing, and they work great!
Clear, bright white light, no glare or funky patterns, or waiting for a bulb to come back on like HID's.
I have ridden these bikes and many others at night too with stock halogen lights, and I know how awful they are.
Quality LED headlights are worth it for night riding.

Also
There is an old thread here somewhere where a member cut his Gen2 headlight so that the angle of the high and low beam could be adjusted seperately, instead of only together, like stock.
It has been many years since I had my Gen2 or it's headlight out too, but I really disliked the HID's I tried.
I later saw LED bulbs in a Gen2, and they looked as good as what I have in my Gsxr now(I'll have to look at them again for the brand).

I reckon you are better off buying a good used headlamp assembly off fleabay or similar site.
Why risk buying an expensive LED bulb that may not be suitable for the projector reflector, and the reflector may even be stuffed.
My Gen 1 hi-beam is great, no issues with the light intensity, colour, or distance it projects.
Hey, have you checked the beam on a beam setter to be certain its adjusted correctly?
Not checked on a machine. Low beam is great. High beam doesn’t illuminate the road ahead any better, although does illuminate the sides of the road ahead better. Am now wondering whether it’s adjusted too high (no independent hi/lo beam adjustment).

Because I’m not sure a brighter bulb is the going to improve the high beam, I’ve ordered a cheap LED on eBay to see whether it makes a difference. If good and the cheap LED doesn’t last then I’ll buy a better one.

hey @Koops

d u ever try to give the batt voltage directely to the high beam bulb (HB3) and watch then its brightness ?

maybe the inside-wire and/or switch - resistance became over the years so high, that the voltage is reduced to let´s say 11.5 volts (or less) at the bulb what will cause a lower brightness of the bulb.

around 20 years ago we had a similar issue with all our yamahas type fj 1100/1200 (´84-´93)
that we meassured only 9.6 volts at the H4-bulb lots of times so that the h4 only was as bright like a candle or carbide lamp

then a good buddy built in a relay-switch/circuit that brought full voltage from batt directly to the bulb and the mess with the bad head light (high & low) was done.
here at my homepage u´ll find the description & scheme .

Last edited:
Do you guys really log in a lot of night time miles?

I do, and really enjoy it...with good headlights.
Majority of it being country and moutain roads(I only ride highways when the destination requires it, day or night).
There is also little to no traffic most of where I ride, and all the wildlife is so used to cars that they pay me no mind.
I also tend to go under the speed limit at night too, mainly because of visibility, as it's easy to outrun the headlight, and not know what's coming, or be able to stop in time.
But, I really enjoy cruising slowly, 25-35mph for miles, one handed, sometimes side saddle, I find it really relaxing.
I'm planning on some led lights to mount on each side of the front axle on my '03 Gsxr1k.
Something bright, and I want to angle them out and up some, vs straight ahead, and get them in a position so they light corners better, and I'll put them on their own switch.

I think I need to make a quick release mount on my mirror stalks for a 36" double row led light bar, with a plug-in connector with inline switch on the bars.
lmao
But...now that I think about it...that would work, and I could Really see then...

hey @Koops

d u ever try to give the batt voltage directely to the high beam bulb (HB3) and watch then its brightness ?

maybe the inside-wire and/or switch - resistance became over the years so high, that the voltage is reduced to let´s say 11.5 volts (or less) at the bulb what will cause a lower brightness of the bulb.

around 20 years ago we had a similar issue with all our yamahas type fj 1100/1200 (´84-´93)
that we meassured only 9.6 volts at the H4-bulb lots of times so that the h4 only was as bright like a candle or carbide lamp

then a good buddy built in a relay-switch/circuit that brought full voltage from batt directly to the bulb and the mess with the bad head light (high & low) was done.
here at my homepage u´ll find the description & scheme .
Good idea, I’ll measure the voltage at the bulb connector under load

I've got H.I.D. on my bike and they are plenty bright....but I seldom ride at night..

The HJC helmet I have has a drop down dark visor so if I do get caught after dark it is a great thing to be able to go to a clear visor...in the past I used to carry a clear visor in my tank bag and switch when it got dark.

I enjoyed riding at night on warm nights when I was young but no longer. I ride more for the scenery than the road and after dark, all I can see is the pavement. See? Looking left and looking right. At night, just the road.

View attachment 1672868

View attachment 1672869

I can agree, and prefer riding the nights around a full moon, where the countryside is lit up.
We used to drive cars, trucks, 4wheelers on the road for miles with no lights on, bright moon, and especially in warm weather.

I can agree, and prefer riding the nights around a full moon, where the countryside is lit up.
We used to drive cars, trucks, 4wheelers on the road for miles with no lights on, bright moon, and especially in warm weather.
We used to do that on our snowmobiles...

It was fun in the open fields but got a little dicey in the bush (or close to it) as an errant branch would knock you off if you didn't see it...

Back