leave it lowered

makahabusa

Registered
need your expert advice on a lowered busa. just purchased a friend's 06 busa with 900 miles on it. the only modification done to it was being lowered about 1.5-2 inches so that he could reach the ground while straddling the bike while stopped. are there any issues that i should be concerned about the busa being lowered, i.e. ground clearance, bottoming out, etc.....or should i just have it raised to the stock height? thanks in advance for your response.

You'll be fine with it as is, and close to ready in case you want to drag race it. Only bottoming out issues you may have with that short of drop is going off curbs and loading it on a ramp, unless you live in the south where there are really bad roads.

Edit: if you're doing some serious cornering, roadcourse racing, fast mountain riding, etc., you might think about it. But if not, you're fine.

Shouldn't have any issue. Like stated it does effect cornering, but not much. Mine is lowered and haven't been on a road I couldn't drive down. Just be weary of stuff like speed bumps etc...

The only time I bottom out is over speed bumps and my header takes the blow.It rides fine and handles fine.

Lowering your bike limits your suspension to function as designed. As we all know, the suspension is most compliant in the middle one third of travel. The amount of suspension compliance given up is directly related to the distance the bike is lowered.

Other than lowering the CG in order to assist in holding the front down during a hard launch, there is no benifit to a lowered bike. However, there is a long list of negatives created and the list becomes longer as you adjust the suspension lower.

I put 24K miles since lowering it and not planning on going back to stock height any time soon. I love the feel and the looks of it. I do mostly highway and it's the perfect setup for me.:thumbsup:

Mine is lowered and it works fine. I have been pretty fast in some curves and have only scrapped one time. I don't do curves very fast anymore :laugh: but like red above I love the look and feel of it and don't plan on going back to stock height anytime soon.

IMG00243-20110622-1509.jpg

Even though I'm a performance oriented guy, I must admit these lowered bikes on this thread are beautiful to say the least. Is the bike rideable with this configuration? Of course it is. At slow speeds a lowered bike works just fine but the faster you go the more demand you put on the suspension and performance will suffer. As most everyone knows, high performance riding is all about Suspension - Suspension - Suspension placing Horse Power secondary.

Climb off a lowered bike onto a bike with well tuned suspension and it's like getting out of a dune buggy and into a Lamborghini. The difference is huge!

need your expert advice on a lowered busa. just purchased a friend's 06 busa with 900 miles on it. the only modification done to it was being lowered about 1.5-2 inches so that he could reach the ground while straddling the bike while stopped. are there any issues that i should be concerned about the busa being lowered, i.e. ground clearance, bottoming out, etc.....or should i just have it raised to the stock height? thanks in advance for your response.

#1 question is how has it been lowered?

I've seen the pre-load backed of the rear and straps on the front on street bikes. Big no-nos.

I've seen only the rear lowered and the front was still stock.

There is not doubt a stock height bike will handle better everywhere but the drag strip. A lowered bike looks great, but still you give up a bit to get the "look". If you are not vertically challanged I'd suggest raising it back up, even if it was lowered "correctly". If you need it to be lowered, only lower it as much as neccessary. Take it out of the seat if possible before messing with the suspension.

Anybody else noticied he said 06 with only 900 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will admit that the stock height is better for cornering but as far a straight line I am not sure. I have been 170 + in a straight line on mine both ways (lowered & stock height) and really did not notice any difference at all. I also have road mine on 6 to 8 hr rides and it is better for me to be lowered so I am not on my tip toes when I stop because I am so short :laugh: Decided what you are going to do with the bike and go from there. Either way I think you will be happy with it. :thumbsup:

Long and low is how i roll, just gotta learn to ride it low, ie where you can and cant go, only takes one speed bump to realize ya gotta slow it down and maybe stand up next time. :laugh:

Other than lowering the CG in order to assist in holding the front down during a hard launch, there is no benifit to a lowered bike.
well that is the benifit of a lowered bike and why it gets lowered. thats like saying the only benifit of a Turbo is to go faster and other then that there is no benifit. well, yea......???

Take a trip to the curvy roads and see how you keep up with others. It's all in how you ride it.

My bike felt smoother the lower I went. Not sure why, or if it was an imagination, but it was noticeable.

Take a trip to the curvy roads and see how you keep up with others. It's all in how you ride it.

It's not about skill level, it's about suspension performance.

By altering the suspension in a negative way, you have ultimitly limited your ability to improve your skill level. There is absolutely nothing any worse than throwing a leg over a bike that behaves badly. If you ride a lowered bike and think it rides great,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, all I can say is "The best you've rode is the best you know"! :dunno:

Back