leaking coolant? is this the thermostat gasket?

ham4864

Registered
i leaked a few drops of coolant,i found the source but is this the thermostat housing.I need a new gasket. 1.Should i also use high temperature gasket sealer.2.will coolant spill out when i remove the housing to replace the gasket. Please see pic below.

leaking 2.jpg

Last edited:
i did that,but it is the gasket,i see it coming from around the housing.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok i found out that it is the thermostat cover,is there a gasket under it,i'm looking on to see.
HTML:
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/YearID/47/Year/2006/ModelID/7853/Model/GSX1300R,Z/GroupID/373186/Group/RADIATOR_HOSE_

You got it.
Clean the old one off, make sure to put the thermostat in the right way (check it when it comes out), re-torque the bolts, and refill the antifreeze, and bleed the air from the system (the manual tells how to do that) and you are good to go.

ok so it was on my mind that it was leaking,so i wanted to see if there was a gasket.So it took me all but 5min to take off the housing to find out there was no gasket, but also there was no thermostat:snap::banghead::mad2::wtf::wtf: why would anybody take out the t-stat.Now remember i brought this bike used so i have no clue what that person was doing.So now i have to buy a thermostat.

The uninformed think that will make the bike run cooler.
There are lots of threads on here about thermostats and how the work.
Yes it is a must to have one.
Good luck!

thanks mike1180,the nerve of some people.That's why it started to leak.so now i have to replace t-stat,gasket,and bleed the air.In a way i'm glad it leaked because i would have never checked for a thermostat.

Back