Last weekend

dewie

Registered
Last weekend I decided to haul the bike 2 hours away to drag race. I get there and there are only about 12 bikes. other busa's, ZX12, RC51, ZX10 and on and on. And I made my first few passes and the bike is SLOW. like 4 tenths off every run. The bike would stall in the burn out box!
wtf.gif

So on the trip home I started to think about why my bike sucked so bad. I looked at the elevation change between my home track and this track, not much of a change. WTF??

Then I wondered if I had skunky gas, then I figured out the last time I filled up was on my road trip from Canada into Montana. So after doing some research I found out that Canada's 87 octane is equal to USA's 91 octane!!

And when I filled up in the states I just put in 87..
ohsnap1.gif

Yesterday I got home and put in premium and she is back to normal. It was a easy fix but I just wanted to let some of you guys know be mindfull about the gas you put in when you go across the border.

And I did see a JR dragster with a busa engine in it!! He couldn't get it to run right, he had allot of air shifter problems.

I use 87 and never have had a problem, of course I don't drag race either, so I guess my opinion is useless
laugh.gif

I never noticed a differance while on my tour thru the states, but when it was race time I could feel it was slow.

Last weekend I decided to haul the bike 2 hours away to drag race. I get there and there are only about 12 bikes. other busa's, ZX12, RC51, ZX10 and on and on. And I made my first few passes and the bike is SLOW. like 4 tenths off every run. The bike would stall in the burn out box!  
wtf.gif

So on the trip home I started to think about why my bike sucked so bad. I looked at the elevation change between my home track and this track, not much of a change. WTF??

Then I wondered if I had skunky gas, then I figured out the last time I filled up was on my road trip from Canada into Montana. So after doing some research I found out that Canada's 87 octane is equal to USA's 91 octane!!

And when I filled up in the states I just put in 87..  
ohsnap1.gif

Yesterday I got home and put in premium and she is back to normal. It was a easy fix but I just wanted to let some of you guys know be mindfull about the gas you put in when you go across the border.

And I did see a JR dragster with a busa engine in it!! He couldn't get it to run right, he had allot of air shifter problems.
Theres alot of guys on here(and im sure they will chime in)that say there busa's are making as much as 2-4hp more with 87 over 91
dunno.gif

muscle.gif

Why 87 over 91? My sticker says 90 or higher as does my user's manual.  What gives?
The U.S spec is 90 or higher, the Canadian spec is 87 or higher. You can run 87 in the states you will give up a little performance, and depending on elevation listen for knock. But just for cruising around it's fine.

I just never knew the two countries rated octane differently.

Back