Knocking noise from rear wheel, still haven't found the culprit

punisher454

Registered
Hi guys. A while ago I wrote a post on a knocking noise coming from my rear wheel. I had my swing arm powder coated and installed back, thats when I noticed the noise. I checked and replaced rubber dampers, while the wheel was off I replaced bearings and all spacers are present, checked chain, seems good. everything put back together and while bike is on the stand I roll the wheel and no noise. I lower the bike down I sit on it and roll it and there's the noise again. The other day while investigating further I noticed a picture of a small plate on the inside left hole of the swingarm where the axle goes thru, it is held by one screw. I checked my swing arm and that small plate is missing. What is the porpose of this small plate? Could the swing arm missing this plate be the cause of the knocking noise? What do you guys think? I have taken the bike to so called Busa experts here in Florida and they say they can't figure it out. One guy oiled the chain and said problem solved. Rode it 500 ft and the noise was loud than ever….lol. I'm at my wits end.

Looking back I replied to your last thread . Is all suspension linkages greased and tight ?

Hey Max, Ill check the chain again, but wouldn't a kink chain make that noise on a stand as well as on the ground? And C10 what do you mean by suspension linkages? Swingarm bolt? axle nut?

Have you checked for side to side play in the rear wheel while it's on the stand?
As in improperly installed spacers.
How much slack is in the chain with YOU sitting on it?
Could it be the chain popping on the rear sprocket's teeth once your body weight compresses the spring and tightens the chain?
Too tight a chain will also limit the rear spring's travel, and the bike will ride and handle poorly.
You need someone close to your weight to sit on it while you try to shake the wheel side to side.
It will be much easier to find the slack once there is a load on the swingarm, chain, rear wheel and suspension.

Good points Sixpack, I didn't think of that. I did adjust the chain with nobody on the bike and I never bothered to check the slack with me on it. I'm away from the bike now, but that is the first thing I'm going to check. Thanks

Hey Max, Ill check the chain again, but wouldn't a kink chain make that noise on a stand as well as on the ground? And C10 what do you mean by suspension linkages? Swingarm bolt? axle nut?

It could get worse when you put weight on the bike , Have you looked at front sprocket to ? Check teeth

Back