Knocking from Engine

1stBusa99UK

Registered
I need some help, I am from the UK (England).  I just got a 1999 Suzuki Hayabusa S/Hand, it has done about 35,000 miles and I am getting a Noise from the Engine, It has been to a Suzuki Dealer (NOT where I got it from, Setup Valves wrong, Did not do Full check on bike before letting me have it, just new Chain, Tyres and MOT) to have the Valves, Jets and have a look at the Cam Chain tensioner and he tells me, Suzuki Dealer, that all is OK with them (setup right,after he had re-setup the Valves and Jets).

Anyway I only get the noise after the engine has warmed up (Normal but mostly when Hot) and I can only hear it on revving up the engine a bit and letting it go back to idle, its a knocking noise (Sounds like its coming from the top of the tank) going from sort of fast to slow before idling (its on the Right hand side, which makes me think that it was the cam chain, but can not hear it on start up or if the engine is idling when hot).  

The Dealer told me it may be a damaged clutch basket moving around or the cam chain, but he can only tell if he takes the engine a part on that side (and that is not going to cost much) apart from that the bike runs like a dream when moving.

Can you please help
smile.gif
, I am stuck with what to do
down.gif

P.s. Very Sorry about an spelling errors, not my best area.

<!--EDIT|1stBusa99UK
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083707903 -->

To elimate your clutch problem, pull the clutch in and if it quiets down then it is the clutch. Hate to say it but I think it may your tensioner. I have heard if you're replacin' it go with the stocker for street applications.
This may be a wild guess, but worth it. Open your air-box and check the flap in there depending how it may be modded it will make a clicking noise simalar to valve/cam lobe slapping sound. If this noise is occuring between 3,500 and 4,000 rpm exactly than I believe it may be it. Good luck.

Thanks

I have been told that it has had a new tensioner put on it(Second Suzuki Recall, the one with the Oil line on it), and that it has had a New one put on by the so called bike shop I got it from after I took it back to them the sort out this problem, This is where they messed up the Valves and Jets. The Suzuki Dealer has checked it out, and finds it to be working fine, so could it be the cam chain itself do you think???.

What rpm's doe's the "knock" start. Is it a knock? Or is it a tapping that starts at 3500 rpms and stops after 4000rpm? How many miles ago was the tensioner replaced? Do you have proof of this service? How about the clutch thing? Did you try it?

What kinda fuel grade do you guy's run over sea's Are you putting in what the owners manual requires.

Well the tensioner was replaced about less any 200 Miles ago, The Oil lever is OK, Middle (But I have not changed it myself) and the "Knocking" starts about 2500 to 3500, But only after the Temp goes up over normal, Sitting in traffic (I Think). fuel will we use is Unleaded fuel here and it runs fine.

For the Clutch, It has its only noise, but not the same one (Total background, You would not noice it)

It is 12.52am here so I can't Test anything at the min.

I will let you know, soon

But it had its Second Suzuki Recall, the one with the Oil line on it before this new one, Suzuki Do have it on Record at about 24000 miles

Do you think I should change the Oil filter and Oil, I have put some ZX1 in which adds to the Oil. But the Shop where I got it from should have changed it before I got, Should I do it again the make sure??

<!--EDIT|1stBusa99UK
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083715408 -->

Changing the oil never hurts. Change to Mobil 1 15-50 or Silkolene synthetic. About the fuel, what octanes are available.

Got Oil (Silkolene Pro 4 10-40) all I could find at the time, a new Oil filter and 4 NGK CR9E spark plugs (Standard) today, will fit tomorrow.

Will wait until BMF (Bike show) here in the UK at the end of this month to get K&N air filter.  This is so I can do the full works to the bike.  As I know the Valve and Jets have been done.  I have already checked the rest of the bike this is all that needs done.

May be the noise  (I hope will go, I am not holding my breath). If not I know all the work I can do has been done and it will have to go back to the Suzuki Dealer for them to have a look at.

If anyone can help me find out want is going on with my bike then please help, Read first Note I left to find out what is going on
1zhelp.gif

grabntwist Many Thanks for all the help you have given me so far  
beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|1stBusa99UK
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084055483 -->

Sounds like cam chain tenshioner to me but, it could be the chain as well. Sounds like it may be time for a second opinion by a different mechanic.

Hi

The "knocking" only starts with the engine gets to normal temp (around 1750 to 2250 Revs and then its gone after I rev up the engine, but is till there).  The Cam chain tenshioner I have been told was changed about 200 miles ago (but this could be S**T, this was from the shop I got the bike from, but I am not going there again, after the s**t they gave me about the bike).

But I did take it to another Dealer, a <span style='color:red'>Suzuki Dealer</span>, been going for years, Very good Rep, he told me it did come in for a cam chain tenshioner around 24,000 miles.  The cam chain tenshioner was checked out and I was told it was OK and working right, I keep thinking the same thing about the cam chain.

After renewing the oil and filter today, its still there.

Do you think I should get it back in and get a new Cam chain, fitted.  If so how much do you think this would cost me to have it done, I know I am in the UK, but I think it would give me a good idea of what I am looking at, cost.

Many Thanks

<!--EDIT|1stBusa99UK
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084206562 -->

i had a knocking that sounded similar to yours so took it to local garage he said you can tell cam noise and clutch noise as clutch is from bottom of engine cam is top.
he listened to mine and said it did have a noisey tensioner but it went wen warm so leave it till its noisey all the time.
also he said he has never had to change a cam chain on one of these they are pretty strong but it is quite a big job.i asked about the tensioner being changed when in for service and he said he changed one for a suzuki and a week later it was the same again.
i think its one of them manufacturer faults with suzuki its cam chain tensioners.
im running on synthetic oil no problems yet but have herd that it makes clutch slip other than that the oil didnt make a difference to the noise.

Many Thanks

Its just a pain in the ass, to hear a very good engine, sound like someone has dropped their tools in it and you only get to hear it when it get hot.

Well it not that bad, but you have always got one ear on it just to make sure and that the speed you CAN (By Law you know) get to is out of this world, you don't want to come off, just because the engine locks up.

Paul

Back