Engine knock

amoredelanotte

Registered
hello everyone .
before i start i want to say happy easter / passover to all
i ride a 2005 F1000 AGUSTA my buddy has a 2002 busa and last night after riding around for about 20 minutes he started to hear a knocking sound ?
so we pull over and saw his oil light on in neutral but in gear the light disapeared . at idle there was no noise but when we reved the rpm u heard the engine knocking ( loud ) sounds like valves or rods type of knocking . added some oil and same thing engine had a loud knocking when giving it some gas . we shut the bike off waited 10 minutes turned the bike on it ran at idle for a minute then stalled . went to restart, it back fired a few times and thats it , bike cranks but wont start ? i was wondering if the engine is blown ? he bought the bike used second owner less then 2 thousand miles on her . i dont know anything about busa's but from what i saw and heard i feel its very unusual for that to happen , just my thought.

Welcome to the Board!

Well, I'm no engine expert, so I'll just offer up what I can...

If I recall there have been some having issues with the automatic cam chain tensioner. If the cam chain comes loose, that could cause it to skip a tooth on the cam(s)/crank and the timing messed up. Could be a cause of the backfiring and it not starting.

Not sure what would cause the knocking. Oil light coming on doesn't sound good.

Sounds like she'll turn, so it's not seized. May just need to drop the motor and pull it apart to see what's going on...

<!--EDIT|omslaw
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145230521 -->

If the oil light is coming on...you have low oil pressure, was the oil level low and you had to add oil
rock.gif
If you ran it too low...sounds like you hurt the bottom end (spun bearing)  
sad.gif

Oms...cam chain tensioner probs were non-existant in the 01 an up models. It was a problem that only plagued the 99-00 models.

In regards to the knockin sound, I'm not too sure what may have happened. I'm leaning towards BA BUSA's diagnosis, but let's hope that he's wrong. Spun bearings are a heart-breaker...and expensive to fix.

Were there any additives to the gas? That could be a factor as well.

Back