Kid 'calls out' a cop

Come on guys! The kid had an agenda! He wants to be the next big YouTube sensation, nothing more. It's bad enough to disrespect an adult but to put a camera in a police officers face?! Major ass whoopin time!!

I park there too all the time.the cop might park his own bike on the sidewalk and does the same thing to his work bike.but it beats the parking lot

I park on the side walk all the time..... Just sayin
:laugh: I live in a small city, but I park in the white lines at the end of the row, where I normally eat lunch so I can see the bike and at Wal Mart because cameras cover that area and because bikes can be harder to see in parking spaces. I always park the bike near the end of a space because of that. Out of town I park in spaces.

what a little wiseass! he will be getting is ass kicked soon in high school im sure for his mouth. first of all cops are exempt from motor vehicle laws in the performance of their duties and with good reason.

is the motorcycle cop supposed to park on the other side of the parking lot where he cant get to his motorcycle quickly if a robbery is taking place or a house is burning and kids are inside?

if that was my kid it would have been the last time he ever mouthed off to a cop again. I can only imagine how he speaks to his teachers.

teach your kids to be free thinkers. there is nothing wrong with respectuflly telling a adult they are wrong...when they are wrong
no actually YOUR wrong cause the cop can park anywhere he wants and the law gives him that authority to do so. once again ur shooting ur mouth off and you have no clue what ur talkn about....:whistle:

First, awesome mustache on that cop.

As far as the vid, I think the police should abide by the same rules as us and if they don't, they should be confronted about it. Set an example for the public to follow.

Ps- I woulda just pushed that kid to the ground and took his lunch money if he started asking me questions. :laugh:

no actually YOUR wrong cause the cop can park anywhere he wants and the law gives him that authority to do so. once again ur shooting ur mouth off and you have no clue what ur talkn about....:whistle:

$5 says he wasnt throwing his slurpie away no matter what call came over the radio. :rofl:

As far as the park wherever to be ready, I had no idea that was the case. I figured they just did stuff like that cause the could, heck, I would.

$5 says he wasnt throwing his slurpie away no matter what call came over the radio. :rofl:

As far as the park wherever to be ready, I had no idea that was the case. I figured they just did stuff like that cause the could, heck, I would.
no I would not take that bet. he didnt look like he's missed too many meals lately....:laugh:

and yes he can absolutely park anywhere he wants. the point is being able to get to ur vehicle as fast and effecient as possible. its not like he's working for Fedex. it has nothing to do him being on a motorcycle. police cars can do the same and do.

cops get thirst and need to eat like everyone else but heir first priority is getting to an emergency call as fast as possible and parking in a place that will not block him in. cause I can assure u it happens. and azzholes have been known to tip motorcycle cops bikes over if they think they can get away with it.

Geeesh do I have to do everything?

The kid is obv too young to have thought that up by himself. An adult put him up to it for sure.
Doesn't make what the cop did ok but that's how I see it.
Having said that, as a public servant and one who is paid with my tax dollars doesn't a cop have to give me his badge number if I ask? The cop seemed like a buttwad as he started the bike on the kid and tried to ride off on him.

And did he really put that big gulp in his side bag?

teach your kids to be free thinkers. there is nothing wrong with respectuflly telling a adult they are wrong...when they are wrong

AMEN! The cop was in that situation b/c he choose to park on the sidewalk. Either he choose to broke the law or he wasn't aware of the law that he was breaking. In either case, he was at the fault.
As for the considering the kid to be a "smart a**" for calling holding the cop accountable, I disagree. Cops are sworn to uphold the law. They are paid to do so. By the public. And they are beholden to the public. NOTHING wrong with what the kid did. Was he a bit cheeky? Perhaps. Disrespectful? Far from it. He held a civil tongue and a civil tone and made no demands that weren't his right to make. He was completely within the law (his bike on the ground causing trip hazard is a straw man argument...the kid is not sworn to uphold the law and, if such a "trip hazard" law exists, he's probably unaware. Besides, he could park a tank in on the sidewalk and it doesn't change anything about the cops behavior. As they like to say in court, it doesn't matter who else was wrong...it doesn't excuse anyone else.).

Last but not least, comments have been made about kids running amok b/c society doesn't hold them accountable and punishes parents that attempt to discipline thier kids. Well, why do you suppose that cop was so comfortable parking on the sidewalk? Could it be that it's b/c society doesn't generally hold him accountable and punhishes citizens that attempt to discipline the police? The kid did what we all SHOULD do. And not just with cops, but with anyone that we see in the wrong. Without accountability, folks tend to do as they please. In this case, all the kid did was attempt to hold the cop accountable for the cops own choices.

If ANYONE was disrespectful, it was the COP! How? He disrespected all law abiding cops by breaking the law. As well as any other motorcyclist that's ever parked on the sidewalk and been ticketed for it. As well as the kid and the general public who employee the officer in the service of upholding the laws.

DISCLAIMER: Not bashing cops. But anyone that's sworn to all of us to do one thing and then turns around and does the other it out of line. Like teachers, parents and leaders, an officers first job is to lead by example. If he doesn't respect the law, then why should anyone else? Including the kid?

Everybody wants the same rights and privileges but doesnt want to do the work or have the responsibilities that come along with it. He parked his police bike on the sidewalk........ big fricking deal. Ive parked my bike in places I shouldnt so i could run in some where real quick or be able to keep an eye on it. And if I was to get a ticket from it then so be it but i wouldnt say oh but I seen a cop do it. Because I know that Im not a cop and they can do things that "normal" people arent allowed to do. Thats why they have the badge. Dont like go join the police academy and then put your life on the line for chump change and then you can park where you want. As for me Ive got more important things to do and worry about than illegal parking :boohoo: Just seems petty to me and an excuse to try and make a name for yourself on youtube. Thats the problem these days people dont know how to mind their own damn business and leave well enough alone :whistle:

Brett his post in general is correct. If an adult is wrong or a kid thinks they are sure they should question them. You want them to grow up sheep? But if the adult is actually right than it is their mature responsibility to explain themselves to the child and show them why.

This reminds me of Chips and he was no officer Poncherello. Ponch would have knelt down, looked the kid in the face and said 'you seen son my badge number is right here on my chest where I proudly wear while protecting you. I'm parked here because if an emergency arose say your cat got stuck in a tree at home (70s example) and I were needed quickly my vehicle has to be close by. That's why I'm parked here. Now would you like a sip off my big gulp?'

That's what's changed in this country. A Cheeky kid as Melodic says and an I don't care cop. Both are wrong.

I see a municipally owned vehicle illegally parked on a sidewalk. No lights or flashers, no emergency situation.

Ooops...just bumped up against that HOT exhaust and burned myself. That should be good for a couple thou$and.

Or for the more daring...I tried to get around it but it fell over on me! Time for an early retirement.

Give the kid a medal, good for him on putting that typical above the law @!$^& in his place.

Brett his post in general is correct. If an adult is wrong or a kid thinks they are sure they should question them. You want them to grow up sheep? But if the adult is actually right than it is their mature responsibility to explain themselves to the child and show them why.

This reminds me of Chips and he was no officer Poncherello. Ponch would have knelt down, looked the kid in the face and said 'you seen son my badge number is right here on my chest where I proudly wear while protecting you. I'm parked here because if an emergency arose say your cat got stuck in a tree at home (70s example) and I were needed quickly my vehicle has to be close by. That's why I'm parked here. Now would you like a sip off my big gulp?'

That's what's changed in this country. A Cheeky kid as Melodic says and an I don't care cop. Both are wrong.

Well said!

Kid's actually right. He do ir for bother the cop obviously. But the authorities should be the ones being good examples for todays youth. Park in the sideway... bad example. And for a smoothie?... Looks like that cop can use some walking too, so... I give the point to the spoiled kids on this one

I get that the kid has a question but he went about it a the wrong way, filmed it and was a little smart arse about it. I don't know about you but I call that disrespecting an authority figure. Was the cop wrong for parking on the sidewalk..yep but it is not the kids job to question the man about it. I see in the very 1st few frames that the kid has a bicycle laying down on the sidewalk. I don't see the cop questing the kid on why he didn't use the back rack or at least use his kick stand so the bike isn't a trip hazard.

There are 2 things that I will not put up from my children's

#1 Lying
#2 Disrespecting adults

I can deal with them getting in trouble (all kids do) but don't talk back to me or you're going to get a whoping for it. I see these punk kids talking crap all the time and I can think about is how lucky they are for being minors...and not my kids.

I always tell my kids to just fess up when in trouble. I can guaranty you that the punishment will be at least 3 times as bad if I catch you lying about it.

Amen. Was the cop wrong for parking there. Sure. When I was young I saw my parents do wrong every so often, but is it my place to shove a camera in their faces and question the about it? Fawk no! Much less a police officer. Kids have no respect these days and don't know their place. If that were my son his phone would be gone for quite some time, I'd wash his mouth out with soap, LIQUID soap, and he'd write a letter of apology to that officer.

Amen. Was the cop wrong for parking there. Sure. When I was young I saw my parents do wrong every so often, but is it my place to shove a camera in their faces and question the about it? Fawk no! Much less a police officer. Kids have no respect these days and don't know their place. If that were my son his phone would be gone for quite some time, I'd wash his mouth out with soap, LIQUID soap, and he'd write a letter of apology to that officer.

Greetings SS1!

I have to respectfully disagree here. Looking at the math, it seems that you're condeming the kid simply b/c he's a kid and condoning the officer simply because he's a cop.

The cop parked in such a manner as to a) break the law, b) obstruct public foot traffic and possibly handicapped traffic and c) be a bad example to the public in general. All of this will no apparenty emergency for the sake of nothing more than getting a drink. You propose that the officer is beyond reproach in this encounter simply b/c the other party is a kid.

The kid sees the cops behavior and questions the officer in a civil manner. Perhaps with the intent of being a "smart a**" (or, perhaps not), but civil and within the law nonetheless. You propose that the kid s/b punished by a) taking his phone, b) washing his mouth out with soap (potentially hazardous, likely to inspire resentment rather than learning and a bit archaic), and c) having him write a letter of apology for, essentially, exercising his right to free speech and his duty to take responsibility as a citizen to question authority rather than overlook what appeared to be an abuse of power and position.

Doesn't add up for me. Just b/c one is young, doesn't make one lesser. Just b/c one is a cop doesn't make one greater. Folks complain about power and corruption and abusive authorities all the time, railing on about how things are so "wrong" and that we wish that we could do something about it. Well, seems to me the kid saw an abuse and was attempting to do something about it. And he went about it as the law prescribes. Yet you would punish him for it, presumably trying to discourage such behavior out of blind "respect" for authority. That's exactly what allows corruption to persist on such an epic scale.

Let's look at it from another perspective. Let's say the cop was robbing the store. And let's say the kid confronted the cop in the same exact manner? Would you still see the kid as being in the wrong and in need of discplinary action? Would you still see the cop as beyond reproach?

Things that make ya go.... "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....?"

Regards,

Melodic

You propose that the officer is beyond reproach in this encounter simply b/c the other party is a kid.

Yep, that's right.

The kid sees the cops behavior and questions the officer in a civil manner. Perhaps with the intent of being a "smart a**" (or, perhaps not), but civil and within the law nonetheless.

It appears thay your definition of "civil" is different from mine. I think it is offensive and antagonistic to put a camera phone in between your face and the person you are speaking to. It says, "I don't need to make eye contact with you because you are an object, not a person." It also says, "here is my camera, it's here to catch you slipping and my mission is to document this for future use against you." Try walking into customer service situations looking at the display screen of the camera you're using to record the employee, instead of speaking to the employee like a normal person. Tell me that employee is not taken aback by that.

You propose that the kid s/b punished by a) taking his phone, b) washing his mouth out with soap (potentially hazardous, likely to inspire resentment rather than learning and a bit archaic), and c) having him write a letter of apology for, essentially, exercising his right to free speech and his duty to take responsibility as a citizen to question authority rather than overlook what appeared to be an abuse of power and position.

Hazardous? LOL Washing a kid's mouth out with soap is hazardous now? Wow

A 12 year old (age guess there) has no need, nor does he have the life experience to question an adult four times his age. It's not his place.

Doesn't add up for me. Just b/c one is young, doesn't make one lesser.

Sure it does

Just b/c one is a cop doesn't make one greater.

Sure it does. They command an additional level of respect that should be given until there is a reason not to give it. Same goes for military personnel or in the case of a child his age, teachers.

Folks complain about power and corruption and abusive authorities all the time, railing on about how things are so "wrong" and that we wish that we could do something about it. Well, seems to me the kid saw an abuse and was attempting to do something about it. And he went about it as the law prescribes. Yet you would punish him for it, presumably trying to discourage such behavior out of blind "respect" for authority. That's exactly what allows corruption to persist on such an epic scale.

The law prescribes? Please show me the penal code section that proscribes a person to whip out their camera phone and question a police officer about his activities. Did the kid break a law? Of course not. Does the law call for him to do that? Of course not. Checks andbalances exist for good reason, I'm with you on that. Our founding fathers certainly did not intend for a 12 year old to be putting the Marshall in check. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that you'd NEVER see that happen back when "checks and balances" were written for us.

Let's look at it from another perspective. Let's say the cop was robbing the store. And let's say the kid confronted the cop in the same exact manner? Would you still see the kid as being in the wrong and in need of discplinary action? Would you still see the cop as beyond reproach?

Apples to oranges. Not even close to comparable.

It boils down to this; An adolescent need not question an authority figure, especially on a petty level such as this. If in fact it is necessary, this is not the way to go about it. In fact, pretty much just subtract the camera and change his wording a bit, and I'd have zero problem with it.

Yep, that's right.

It appears thay your definition of "civil" is different from mine. I think it is offensive and antagonistic to put a camera phone in between your face and the person you are speaking to. It says, "I don't need to make eye contact with you because you are an object, not a person." It also says, "here is my camera, it's here to catch you slipping and my mission is to document this for future use against you." Try walking into customer service situations looking at the display screen of the camera you're using to record the employee, instead of speaking to the employee like a normal person. Tell me that employee is not taken aback by that.

Hazardous? LOL Washing a kid's mouth out with soap is hazardous now? Wow

A 12 year old (age guess there) has no need, nor does he have the life experience to question an adult four times his age. It's not his place.

Sure it does

Sure it does. They command an additional level of respect that should be given until there is a reason not to give it. Same goes for military personnel or in the case of a child his age, teachers.

The law prescribes? Please show me the penal code section that proscribes a person to whip out their camera phone and question a police officer about his activities. Did the kid break a law? Of course not. Does the law call for him to do that? Of course not. Checks andbalances exist for good reason, I'm with you on that. Our founding fathers certainly did not intend for a 12 year old to be putting the Marshall in check. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that you'd NEVER see that happen back when "checks and balances" were written for us.

Apples to oranges. Not even close to comparable.

It boils down to this; An adolescent need not question an authority figure, especially on a petty level such as this. If in fact it is necessary, this is not the way to go about it. In fact, pretty much just subtract the camera and change his wording a bit, and I'd have zero problem with it.

It seems that it boils to down to a bit more than losing the camera and changing phrasing. Unless you other statements are not true: To paraphrase: Cops are beyond reproach b/c their cops and kids have no voice or right to question authority b/c their kids. Although you did insert the a caveat that respect for authority s/b given "until there is a reason not to give it." It seems to me that witnessing authority breaking it's own laws is a fine reason to question it. I would also contend that questioning authority in such circumstances is not a lack of respect for authority but rather a GREATER respect for the law and the authorities that are supposed to uphold it. For every authority that does break the law, is not disrespectful to all those authorities that are truly serving the spirit of the law and the people the serve? And by extension, allowing authorities to break the law without accountabilty is actually fostering disrespect for the authorities that do serve with honor.

As for the definition of "civil", perhaps the camera was over the top. OR perhaps the citizen felt that since the officer seemed to not respect the law that he would also not respect criticism from a citizen, which seems to be the case in the video. Perhaps the kid was aware that the majority of the population would simply discount anything he said/claimed without proof to the contrary, merely because he is a kid. Bottom line, the incident occured in public, on public property and, as we are all painfully aware these days, there are no laws against filiming anything in public. (Although, that is changing as police departments everywhere, ironically, seem to have a MAJOR problem with being filmed while on duty.)

When I said as prescribed by law, I was referring to the fact that citizens do have the right inquire as to an officers badge number in many if not all legitimate legal jurisdictions. The same laws require the officer to provide their badge number upon such inquiry. This shouldn't even need to be a law. Why should an officer need a law to identify themselves? Unless they feel that they cannot explain/defend their behavior. That law is there for a reason. And, as I recall, the officer in the video chose to ignore the request for his badge number. Hmmmmm....?

As another member posted already, if the officer was truly in the right, why not just set the kid straight? Instead of blowing the kid off (which I'm sure instilled a sense of respect in the kid and everyone whose now seen this video...not), he could have addressed the kids concerns/questions, explained his behavior and why he felt he is excepted from the law in question, and he most certainly could have provided his badge number. Handling it in such a way would have set a much better example to the kid and bears a much better chance of instilling respect in the kid so that the next time the kid is more informed and maybe doesn't even feel the need for the camera. Hmmmmm....???

Oh, and as for the soap punishment, sure, it probaby won't hurt most kids, but these days kids have deadly allergies to everything from foods to germs to plants to even the air we breathe. Is it not reasonable to think that liquid soap, a collection of chemicals, might not have a pretty adverse effect on some kids? Ahh...it's beside the point anyway. IMHO, using force and humiliation to "teach" rarely teaches anything other than "whem I'm bigger and stronger, I get to do what I want" and it in the meantime it creates resentment, all the while shifting the focus away from learning the real lessons that one would wish to teach.

Realize that I agree that kids should be respectful of others in all cases. However, respect should also not be interpreted as ignoring/overlooking trangressions simply b/c of who or what the subject may be. Very little is black and white in this world, but for the most part, the laws are for all of us, regardless of who we are or what we do and it's up to ALL of us to take a role in that. We hear all the time that the cops can't do it all by themselves.

In this case, IMHO, the kid was civil and not out of line. I can't say the same for the cop. And the cop had the greater responsibility by FAR to step up as the sworn and paid public servant.

Kid was respectful, didn't call him a pig or ask how many donuts he ate in the store, cop handled perfectly, just one of those things that you just shrug the shoulders. The kid coulda asked him about his B rate porn mustache, like hey is that within policy or do you have a second job???????

Back