Help me decide......Horrible phone call to get

Well and this is just my opinion mind you, you have a lot of things to consider. for one I absolutely agree that those kids should be held accountable to a point. Unfortunately gone are the days when two kids disagree and beat each other up and become good friends after it's done. the system is not set up the way it was back then and parents are very limited to how they discipline children. Where I do not think beating the cr@p out of your kid is a good idea a good tossing is sometimes in order. Some kids don't have that respect and fear because of the system. They are over protected by it and really hold no true accountability for their actions that leaves a mental imprint to not do that again.

As for the other kids parents I would see what they are all about first, If they have no control over their kids then yeah I would press charges, if they don't seem to care I would definitely press charges. It's to a point more their fault than the kids. The only problem is that will affect your son in school and you realistically can't be there 24 7 to watch him.

The only problem with pressing charges is the other kid doesn't really suffer anything he's an underage kid. And he get's into the court system which is not designed to teach or rehabilitate anyone. So in essence you may be making the other kid a worse offender and it may be more of a guidance issue at home. So once again I go back to the parents being the ones held accountable. Too bad the court system won't jail the parents in the kids place. I bet that would make dad rethink his parenting role.

The unfortunate truth is that every kid is going to feel that loss of morale and that feeling of helplessness. The best thing you can do is help your son become mentally stronger, this is the real world and he just got a small taste. Yes it sucks that he did and he had to go through it even worse cause it involved 2 on 1. But that's a heck of a selling point to him it took two guys to take him out not one.

Here's an interesting concept, if your son is fairly tough enough put some boxing gloves on both of them(with the parents permission of course) and let them duke it out one on one. nothing illegal about it controlled enviroment and maybe they might both learn something. It's just a thought it may even make them friends if they have to go 10 rounds they'll be too tired to argue when it's all done. no matter what I would have you and your son enrolled in some sort of self defense just to boost his confidence some and make him feel stronger mentally.

I'd try to have a talk with the other boy's parents first to see how they react and behave like adults. I don't like to see much older boys picking on the younger boys, but part of it is part of growing up - as boys we've all been in a few altercations. Courtroom not necessary unless they've got a record of it and been getting away with it.

+1

I think ten days is too much, boys fight. As long as it is not gang related or a patern. a kid should get like 3 days first time. You should probally talk to all three boys and let them know why fighting isn't good. Even if it's on speaker phone with the princepal. If they respect you it will be easy for them to respect your son.

Josh,

Tough to say. There are some things you said that need to be clarified.

You son was jumped in the bathroom - was it just bad luck? Or were they targeting him?

One has a history - after the suspension, is he coming back? I'd speak to the principal about that one.

Don't know about charges without more info...

Hope your son is ok

I know exactly how you feel....I would press charges, IF and only IF the parents seem like they dont give a hoot and it might happen again....It happens and wont be the first time, BOYS...... i went through the same thing....but i didnt...instead I told my stepson to next time not wait until some other kid or kids decide to pick on him since he is really small build....so i taught him how to defend himself and told him to deliver first blow if he felt threatened and id deal with the school....some way bigger kid decided to try and take his jacket and without hesitation he clocked him in the Jaw and knocked him out....I had to go to school but luckily he did not get suspended because he immedietly started to cry cause he thought he killed the other boy....i spoke to the principal and talked to the parents during a parent teacher conf....Id try to speak with the boys parents and if they dont seem like the straight and seriously caring types id press charges...screw it....if not, and they seem the caring type, then they hopefully will address the situation. Boys will be Boys...its part of it..

Last edited:
Back