Kick stand mod on Gen 3

Armoni76

Registered
It's a shame that Suzuki did not improve this detail on the gen 3, so like other owners I did mod the kick stand.
To do it I used a bench grinder and took off about 4 or 5 mm.

Here is some pictures of the result and the before/after position of the bike.

BEFORE
20221110_015610.jpg

AFTER
20221110_015655.jpg

20221110_022258.jpg

20221110_015854.jpg

20221110_021558.jpg

20221110_020858.jpg

20221110_020532.jpg

20221110_020646.jpg

I did the mod a little over a month ago, looks more secure now putting the kickstand further forward. I also park in first pushed against the gear and never downhill. I remember back around 1999 or so I had a ZX11 and a friend had a ZX10 that he put over 100k miles and traded it in on a brand new Hayabusa and I called him a week later to ask how he liked it and he said it just fell over 15 minutes ago for no reason and now 20+ years later I’m still reading about Busa fall overs so I try to take every precautions when parking.

I did the mod - almost a must IMO. I did a notch and added about an inch to the kick stand. I took it up to the local speed shop with a used kick stand off of ebay. He cut and welded about an inch in then tempered it.

When and if you do the mod - NOTE: a little cut out goes a long way. I think a 1/16 maybe 3/32 would do the job nicely. I didn't like the lean over so that's way I added the inch. Now that Busa is solid - you can push and its very hard to get that stand to fold up. Yes, with out the notch it's easy to push and fold the kick stand.

side stand / busa - let me sum up my experiences regarding the side stand modification (side stand mod)

1. the notch of approx. 2-3 mm (1/8-1/10 inch) depth is completely sufficient - more could (ultimately) weaken the stand so much that it could break here after a heavier load
2. the estimated 5-10° more lateral lean (caused by #1) is perfectly sufficient and keeps the busa (and its stand) absolutely stable
3. to maximize safety on the side stand, one allways should
a. generally switch off the engine with the 1st gear engaged by folding out the side stand, provided there is a switch
b. release the clutch lever and
c. then push the busa forward into the engine brake

because - even if the busa stands with its nose downhill, it never rolls over this engine brake - this works like a stable ´n strong stick in the rim. ;)

additionally something else to #3a.-c. (above)
- i generally do that way with really ALL bikes when i want/have to use the side stand

and by the way :
an extension of the stand is nice but technically completely unnecessary
:lol: it only helps weak (left) legs to lift the busa off the stand before the start :lol:

in summary, my clear recommendation
notch? YES! (and do it yourself - diy)
extension? NO (save the money for welding etc.) ;)

Agreed with everything stated above. I'll add one point - with the extension the busa sure looks better when it's not leaning so much. :) And It's still rock solid (forward rolling and left tip over)!
As a reminder - don't overdue the notch.

If only this mod was available to do on the Harley. I keep waiting for it to fall down.
Ha! So I’ve a 2022 RoadGlide and I’ve learned from my Harley friends that it’s not a kickstand but a “jiffy stand” and one them walked over to his bike that was on the stand and pushed it! My heart already hurt for him but it never fell! I guess there’s some locking mechanism that won’t let it fold back!
Suzuki needs to take a page out of Harley’s book!

I did the mod a little over a month ago, looks more secure now putting the kickstand further forward. I also park in first pushed against the gear and never downhill. I remember back around 1999 or so I had a ZX11 and a friend had a ZX10 that he put over 100k miles and traded it in on a brand new Hayabusa and I called him a week later to ask how he liked it and he said it just fell over 15 minutes ago for no reason and now 20+ years later I’m still reading about Busa fall overs so I try to take every precautions when parking.
Not sure it fell over for no reason.

Back