K8 Fuel filter issues

ldposse

Registered
I started having problems with my K8 missing and sputtering, not wanting to run anything more than about 10% throttle.

I pulled the fuel pump assy, and found the 'bushing' (ribbed rubber seal) between the fuel pump output and the fuel filter canister was ruptured and blown out of place. The fuel strainer/pickup looked dirty, and I tried back-flushing the filter canister and I had some cloudy looking fuel with some fine particulates coming out, but it didn't seem excessive for a bike with 26,000 miles on it.

Has anyone else seen this before? It seems like a strange failure, maybe the bushing was just installed wrong from the factory?

In the first picture you can see where the bushing is pushed down out of the fuel filter housing, on the second, you can see how the bushing is split apart.

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

my pump/filter assembly was assembled correctly, however my pump kicked the bucket on me at approx. 25k miles. right around the time yours did. if you decide to replace it, PM me. i got a good deal on a brand new pump.

Back