Fuel Filter Question

OB_KawAbuser

Registered
That is an awful lot of work and money to spend every 3000 miles.

The new strainer in the tank is supposed to have a larger mesh size than the original. Suzuki claimed the mesh size on the plastic strainers was too fine allowing gasoline additives to plug them.

There was a post (jeffw ?) here on this site a long time ago before Suzuki released an "Official" solution as per Bulletins 108 and 109. The early unofficial post stated the gas tanks were coated with a corrosion inhibitor that was not disolving properly.

The fuel pump filter is a pain to change, an ingenious GSX1300guy installed a inline filter between the petcock and the fuel pump.
He also removed the strainer from the petcock. It must be noted that he did these changes before the release of 108 and 109.

If you are seriousy considering the fuel filter change you may entertain the inline filter idea.

Keep in mind that Suzuki never changed the metal strainer in between the fuel pump and pressure regulator, I had ordered all the strainers and filters in the fuel pump prior to the 108 and 109 release. Check that strainer if you take apart your fuel pump, the part number has not been changed as the others were. I still wonder of it is a condition caused from the tank coating, as some people have posted problems after the 109 and 109 service's.

The strainer I mention to you is on the Suzuki micro fiche:

Pump Assembly
On the diagram page it is #26
Part #1516524F00 Screen, Fuel, Strainer

108 & 109 doesn't clean the gas tank do they? I got vibes from you guys that perhaps dirty gas was clogging the filters, especially as it was taking folks a couple thousand miles to notice the cutouts.

If tank coating/manufacturing is the problem the tank strainer should be a once and done fix. Then Kaw you're right. If it's a problem with dirty gas then perhaps changing it every 6k or 12k miles makes sense. I don't know. I guess I'll just watch my '00 bike strainer WHEN it arrives and see.

After listening to all the discussion generated about cutouts, callback 108 & 109, etc, I am wondering if replacing the fuel filters on a regular basis would be a good idea. Perhaps every 3k miles with oil changes. At least do the first one in the tank regularly?

Any thoughts?

My thought about this suggestion is: Definitely! If its not going to cause the mechanic to "F" up my machine, and since I had it recalled and serviced they haven't yet, I will definitely ask them to do so again provided the same competent mechanic did the work at my next service.

Back