Just ordered hardbags!

todd moyer

Registered
I finally broke down and ordered a set of Trax Aluma-box hard luggage for our new Busa. I did a lot of looking and comparing and took the big step. We wanted a set of Beetle Bags but I wasn't sure on actual storage space. The BB looks awesome and flows well with the lines of the bike but I just couldn't do it. That and we didn't want to have to have an over-sized tank bag or tail bag to make up the lack of packing space of the Beetle Bag.

Once they arrive, I am home on vacation later in the month, and get them on I'll post some pics. We should have plenty plus a good review as we're headed south for a week long road trip (or so) for our 20th anniversary. Fingers crossed the weather will be good and the road treats us well :please:!

If anyone has feedback on the Trax boxes feel free to post. Oh, I ordered the 37 liter powder coated black boxes with carry handles.

Cheers - Todd & Tammy

OK, so until I get home and get things mounted all I can do is try and picture what it'll look like.

bagsnobags.png

Re: Just ordered hardbags! Quick update.

OK, quick update. No bags on Fionna yet but they are at the house. My wife snapped a few pics as treasers but I swear, as soon as I get home on vacation the bags will get mounted. With any hopes I will be there on the 24th so bags will get mounted the 25th. Stand by!

Trax_1a.jpg

Trax_2a.jpg

Trax_3a.jpg

Trax_4a.jpg

Trax_5a.jpg

Trax_6a.jpg

Fionna_04122011a.jpg

I am planning on a similar set up for my ride to Alaska in a couple years. May I ask why you went with the Trax bags instead of something like the Givi ones?

I did a fair amount of shopping and want to at some point carry over these bags onto a Beemer. I really like the style and simple square (rectangle) design for packing. Call me simple minded maybe.

The Givi combinations really had my attention and it was a toss up at one point but like I stated, these Trax boxes will end up on a Beemer one day.

Once home, boxes are mounted packed, and we've done a week traveling I will only really then be able to say if they are worth it.

More to follow!

Todd

We look forward to the further review. Are there handles on the top of the hard case other than the soft bag that fits around it? This is one feature that I do like about the Givis is that they can double as a small suitcase for easy transport into hotels and what not.

Yes, there are handles for the tops of the boxes but they just aren't installed yet. It's an option when ordering. and yes as the boxes will double as suitcases when parked for the nights on the road. Without handles I can see them being a PITA when handling or carrying full of stuff.

Those look well constructed:thumbsup: I imagine they were cheaper than the Corbin bags? Should look good when you get it all bolted up

Those look well constructed:thumbsup: I imagine they were cheaper than the Corbin bags? Should look good when you get it all bolted up

Cheaper than the Corbin option for sure. The Trax EVO boxes were about $1k or so from TwistedThrottle for everything (mount, locks, and carry handles) compared to $1699 for the Beetle bags.

OK, so until I get home and get things mounted all I can do is try and picture what it'll look like.

bagsnobags.png

Wow, they sure will add a huge amount of width to the bike, particularly when compared to the Corbins. I think I'd have had to go with the Beetle bags simply for the aesthetics. Only problem I see with them, other than the cost, is that they don't look like they'd fit with anything other than the stock exhaust.

Which beemer are you going to transfer these to later BTW?

Yes, it will make the bike a little wider but not as wide if I would have gone with the 45 liter option though. For me it's about usable packing space with ease. The Corbins just aren't offering the usable space at a compared 23 liters each to the 37 liter each of the Trax.

My plan is to add buy a BMW R1200GS Adventure in a year or so. Who knows at this point though but it's my basic plan.

Just bought my plane tickets for vacation, now I just need the next week to get by so I can start tinkering!

My plan is to add buy a BMW R1200GS Adventure in a year or so. Who knows at this point though but it's my basic plan.

Just bought my plane tickets for vacation, now I just need the next week to get by so I can start tinkering!
That's the bike I'd get if I was into long distance riding. Just a great looking, beautifully simple machine.

Have a safe trip!

Wow, they sure will add a huge amount of width to the bike, particularly when compared to the Corbins. I think I'd have had to go with the Beetle bags simply for the aesthetics. Only problem I see with them, other than the cost, is that they don't look like they'd fit with anything other than the stock exhaust.

Which beemer are you going to transfer these to later BTW?

The Corbins can't be lifted off and taken inside a motel room. Because of their shape you can't utilize a bag liner either. A PITA for a true Tourer.

these bags are a smart option. they make the busa much more versatile. they are wide, but I think they look great. the corbins are overpriced.

it's nice to see an intelligent accessory someone is getting for the gen2, instead of nasty bolt-ons only for grabbing someones attention for a second.

The Corbins can't be lifted off and taken inside a motel room. Because of their shape you can't utilize a bag liner either. A PITA for a true Tourer.

All in all then, apart from looking a little better than the larger, squarer bags, the Corbins are crap? No wonder I've not a single picture of a busa with them on this forum.

Back