Just got my green belt

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Just thought I would share - I tested out for my green belt this week under the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (for all you old salts, MCMAP replace Line training) - bottom line, I've been beaten up for about the last two weeks, but yeah now it's over and I got my belt... debating moving on to brown - we'll see. But as I sit here aching, I thought I might let you all know.

Kill!
Semper Fidelis -

brown isn't that difficult, mainly sustainment. Get to have a bit more fun in the LZ drills though, actually get to practice take downs. Still waiting to find an IT that is willing to test a group of us out for Black Belt and that will be the last thing that I have to do before turning into a student in AMS-1
Rest up and get in the next class so everything is still fresh and that will be one less thing for your to worry about at a later time and you can still put it down for a bullet on your evals

brown isn't that difficult, mainly sustainment.  Get to have a bit more fun in the LZ drills though, actually get to practice take downs.  Still waiting to find an IT that is willing to test a group of us out for Black Belt and that will be the last thing that I have to do before turning into a student in AMS-1
Rest up and get in the next class so everything is still fresh and that will be one less thing for your to worry about at a later time and you can still put it down for a bullet on your evals
True -
The MAI out here is on leave, which is the only reason we didn't continue through... We may jump back in when he gets back...

What do you mean turn into a student? Did you latmove?

Did you take the old mans class?
Is there one of those?  Body hardening sucks....
I feel like an old man after all of this... our instructor is relatively new, so he's pretty ate up...
Our MAG offers a seniors class ( SNCO and Officer ) Its mostly set up around our must do events ie meetings flight op's and so on.
Now you tell me - sheesh!
You do yers?

I feel like an old man after all of this... our instructor is relatively new, so he's pretty ate up...
Our MAG offers a seniors class ( SNCO and Officer ) Its mostly set up around our must do events ie meetings flight op's and so on.
You do yers?
LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG ago, on the way home form the NEW sand box.

You do yers?
LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG ago, on the way home form the NEW sand box.
LOOOOOOONGGGGGG ago, 'cause yer so old. Hey - notice how the new sandbox ain't that far away from the old sandbox?

pretty much every unit will set up the old man's course when asked, they just don't like to advertise it. Just hit up the MAI's and see what you can get, the worst they can do is say no.

Yes I am lat-moving. Going to be crewchief on Osprey's. Right now its about the only chance I can see of getting promoted. The MOS I am in right now only has 57 Marines in the entire MOS and we are top heavy. Haven't have any promotions to SSgt in 4 years (the amount of time that I have been a Sgt.) and got 2 allocations this year. I'm number 1 in the below zone. Realistically I don't see us getting anymore allocations for another couple of years but I will hit 9 this year and don't want to take the chance of hitting high year tenure.
Sorry for the thread jack

Semper Fu for that next belt!

pretty much every unit will set up the old man's course when asked, they just don't like to advertise it.  Just hit up the MAI's and see what you can get, the worst they can do is say no.

Yes I am lat-moving.  Going to be crewchief on Osprey's.  Right now its about the only chance I can see of getting promoted.  The MOS I am in right now only has 57 Marines in the entire MOS and we are top heavy.  Haven't have any promotions to SSgt in 4 years (the amount of time that I have been a Sgt.) and got 2 allocations this year.  I'm number 1 in the below zone.  Realistically I don't see us getting anymore allocations for another couple of years but I will hit 9 this year and don't want to take the chance of hitting high year tenure.  
Sorry for the thread jack

Semper Fu for that next belt!
No sweat on the thread jack -
I was lucky, I picked up SSgt in 7, but that was coming out of Boot Camp as a LCpl and Meritorious promotions to Cpl (2 times - ouch) and Sgt. That was as a 53 mech.
V-22 should bve wide open since they are building the structure. Problem will be that since they are building, you will probably pick up SSgt quickly, but then sit there for awhile waiting for Gunny... They won't want to lose the new guys to MSgt as 6019s...

Dang, I think I have just jacked my own thread....

Congrats Shawn! Nothing like a bunch of jarheads beating the crap out of you for two weeks to make you appreciate a pain-free day...

Is MCMAP a certain style of Martial Arts, or a multi-discipline approach? Just curious, I'm a red belt in Tae Kwon Do and have always been interested in Budo. A retired Choisin Reservoir veteran bird Colonel friend was telling me about the old "Rough and Ready" training, is this what that evolved into?

Congrats Shawn...My brother took Kenpo Karate some yrs ago,made it to brown...and then quit because he got stuck teaching the class (for no $$) while the teacher wuz out banging one of the female students...

Good acomplishment bro!!
beerchug.gif

Congrats Shawn

for those of who don't know...
what Martial Arts do they teach you??

I started taking Kenpo at 6. TKD at 14. And BJJ last year.

Just curious what they're teaching you. I know it's a lot of techniques from different MA's.

Keep at it bro. There a very few accomplishments more rewarding!!!

MCMAP is pulled from: Boxing, Kickboxing, Jiu-jitsu, Sambo, Wrestling, and probably a couple of others. Not that difficult to learn or stay current with as it is a lot of base level moves that nonetheless are still effective.

Shawn, I really don't mind if I get stuck at SSgt. for a bit, I can still retire with that although I would prefer to move on. Right now I gotta take what I can get!

Back