jeep cherokee

forestgump

Registered
Hey guys , I was at the local repo yard and was looking at atvs and wondered outside and seen a jeep cherokee stuffed in the back, a 98 with low miles, the sport model with 4x4 , cruise tilt air, and seeing it went for half price of what the papers are selling for and well below black book I went back and bought it and pick it up monday, anybody here know about them, its got a 4.0 straight six, auto, runs good, I guess if they dont get what they want in the auction they offer for sale for what the bank is owed so I was at the right place at the right time . Btw thanks for the condolances about the police officers that were slaughtered, I have a few friends in the rcmp here in canada and will pass it on.

My sister has an older one.. maybe a 92... gave it to her 16 year old daughter to drive. My niece was driving some friends home, deer ran out in front of them, she swerved and hit the ditch, rolled it twice.

They all had on their seatbelts, and were all fine. My brother -in-law pounded out the roof, replaced the windshield and the oil... good to go.

That thing has lived a hard life and just keeps on rollin'.

Probably not what you wanted to know.. but I'd say they are well worth the money.

<!--EDIT|TheKatsMeow
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110050574 -->

They're pretty solid. The tranny is the weekest part of the drive train. Don't try to push too much HP through it unless you willing to spend BIG $$ for a bettery tranny. I'm not sure if the 98 has the same tranny concerns, but the older Cherokee's can run for more than 200,000 mi, if you take care of it.

Cherokees are the best kept offroading secret by jeep they can be awesome! The 4.0 is pretty much bulletproof. Now does your have 3 or 2 4wd positions on the shifter? What this means if it has 3
is that it has a grand cherokee drive train, which isn't neccesarily better just more expensive to fix

had older jeep wiyh the straight six , went on fire at my job by the time i came back the firewas out and there were three firemen with the hose blasting down the carb , laughing ! drained the 5 quarts of oil and 5 gallons of water foam re wired started ran for ten minutes at idle sprayin startin fluid in the carb changed the oil again two front tires painted hood and fenders < drove it for a year after that ,i still see it driving around got rid of it 4 years ago , it had 200000 miles when it went on fire ? had five speed so dont know about the auto trans but the motor is solid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
smile.gif

oh yeah ! the important part ! if it has a plastic valve cover swap it for the steel junkyard 20 bucks chrome from jc whitney 30 somthin ? plastic valve cover melts and starts fire ! that jeep probably has a steel one ? but my jeep was not the only one that went up i just found out too late !
blush.gif

Rubbah has 1... 275,000 km on it. Thats about 170 thousand miles.

1 clutch , 1 clutch slave, brakes an' shid , the usual.

mine has the 4.0 straight 6 likie yours... but I hav the 5 speed.

They are fuggin' heavy, a bit piggish on gas.

You'll like it thou. gr8 4x4.

hav a good 1....RSD

My Mom is on her third one.
Awesome vehicles....first one an 87 went for 240,000 miles...yes miles with zero trouble...sold it for $2500.
Second one was traded in at 180,000 miles...no troubles
Third is a 98 and currently has 125000 miles on it.
We are not easy on vehicles around here, and these have been great to us.

Back