Is this retarded or am I???

A for 2 reasons. If you are in the left side of the lane when you begin the pass you have the best view for safety and oncoming traffic. You only move from the left of your lane to the right side of the oncoming lane then back to the left side after the pass. Shortest distance possible if you think about it. Once you have taken the lane you have an opportunity to view behind you and see the traffic in the rear including the other motorcyclists. You have an opportunity to signal as well as note when the other motorcyclists are coming. We traditionally stay to the left of the lane until they start to pass then we will move to the right to allow the passing bike to take the lane then we will move back into the left lane and the bike(s) behind us move to a staggered position again for safety allowing the ride leader to see all the bikes behind him. # 2 staggered formation can help should one bike go down theres a chance they make be able to take corrective action and all the bikes don't have to go down.

I think if a "standard" passing maneuver is cut short with a sudden need to "dive in" between cars, that constitutes more of an avoidance maneuver. This question made no proposition of any "emergency" situation that needed dealing with. It just asked how you pass a car, not OMG we're all gonna die, I have to hit the brakes and slide in between these two trucks, what lane position do you take.

Like it or not, these are the :rulez: of the road.

One thing you may not have considered? If I happen to be ridding with you and God Forbid I find myself following you on a pass and we are forced to tuck into a slot between two vehicles. If you choose to do the right thing and stay next to the centerline blocking me from tucking into that spot with you, forcing me to make a choice between you or the oncoming BMW you are getting arse packed my friend! I think you would do the same if presented with the two choices?

What you are describing is an exceptional situation and not part of the question presented. We could go on for days evaluating what-if this or what if that. Rest assured if you were behind me I would not pass if I thought it would put you, or anyone following, in a dangerous situation.

If you stick to the information provided, which is all you have when riding, then the correct answer is A, LOC. This takes into account that you are smart enough to consider your surroundings and possible hazards prior to executing the pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew that was coming...that's why I made the first comment

Should you~?~ no

Does it happen~?~ it's not a perfect world, I'm sure it does happen. Remember, in some states it is in fact a law that states the vehicle must take position in front of each passed vehicle. If you pass two vehicles at once a ticket can be issued.

I'm simply stating one possible scenario that a rider might come across...yes I like most on here would still recommend that you assure yourself plenty of room before passing~!~

Really, there are states with a law that forbids passing two vehicles? I did not know that.

Really, there are states with a law that forbids passing two vehicles? I did not know that.

Yes sir~!~

It happens to be the state you live in~!~ :whistle:

� 46.2-856. Passing two vehicles abreast.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who passes or attempts to pass two other vehicles abreast, moving in the same direction, except on highways having separate roadways of three or more lanes for each direction of travel, or on designated one-way streets or highways. This section shall not apply, however, to a motor vehicle passing two other vehicles when one or both of such other vehicles is a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped; nor shall this section apply to a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped passing two other vehicles.

(Code 1950, �� 46-209, 46-209.1; 1950, p. 880; 1952, c. 671; 1954, cc. 225, 401, 458; 1958, c. 541, � 46.1-190; 1960, c. 510; 1964, c. 266; 1966, c. 694; 1968, c. 575; 1970, c. 521; 1974, cc. 222, 455; 1975, c. 633; 1978, c. 27; 1979, c. 86; 1981, cc. 333, 585; 1985, c. 148; 1989, c. 727; 2001, c. 834; 2002, c. 254.)

Virginia Code 46.2-856 - Passing two vehicles abreast - Virginia Virginia Code 46.2-856 - Passing two vehicles abreast - Virginia Code :: Justia

Yes sir~!~

It happens to be the state you live in~!~ :whistle:

� 46.2-856. Passing two vehicles abreast.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who passes or attempts to pass two other vehicles abreast, moving in the same direction, except on highways having separate roadways of three or more lanes for each direction of travel, or on designated one-way streets or highways. This section shall not apply, however, to a motor vehicle passing two other vehicles when one or both of such other vehicles is a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped; nor shall this section apply to a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped passing two other vehicles.

(Code 1950, �� 46-209, 46-209.1; 1950, p. 880; 1952, c. 671; 1954, cc. 225, 401, 458; 1958, c. 541, � 46.1-190; 1960, c. 510; 1964, c. 266; 1966, c. 694; 1968, c. 575; 1970, c. 521; 1974, cc. 222, 455; 1975, c. 633; 1978, c. 27; 1979, c. 86; 1981, cc. 333, 585; 1985, c. 148; 1989, c. 727; 2001, c. 834; 2002, c. 254.)

Virginia Code 46.2-856 - Passing two vehicles abreast - Virginia Virginia Code 46.2-856 - Passing two vehicles abreast - Virginia Code :: Justia

Yes but this is talking about 2 vehicles traveling abreast (side by side). I thought you were talking about 2 vehicles in a line.

Yes but this is talking about 2 vehicles traveling abreast (side by side). I thought you were talking about 2 vehicles in a line.

Sounds like you might be correct...it was interpreted to me as passing more than 1 vehicle in the same line in a passing zone

1 of the new "idiot" laws VA passed a short time ago...but maybe it was told to me incorrectly because I don't see the single lane interpretation

Sounds like you might be correct...it was interpreted to me as passing more than 1 vehicle in the same line in a passing zone

1 of the new "idiot" laws VA passed a short time ago...but maybe it was told to me incorrectly because I don't see the single lane interpretation

There are so many silly ass laws passed here in VA it is impossible to keep up.

Back