Is there such a thing as the "yips" on a Busa?

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Ladies and gents -
Over the last few days, I have noticed that I take left hand turns much more agressively than I had in the past. At the same time, I find myself backing off on right hand turns. My comfort level isn't there. Now I've watched Tin Cup, so I put all my change in my right pocket and untied my left shoe, put my helmet on backwards -etc. Nothing helps.

Has this /does this happen to anyone else?

i think it's pretty normal... alot of riders go thru that for awhile..

although I think your backwards from most others... most are just opposite.. hard in the rights, softer in the lefts..

maybe your a southpaw rider!!

Nope -
Right handed - all day and twice on Sunday. It doesn't make any sence to me either. Left hand turns are usually crossing traffic and I am trying to lick the pavement. Right hand turns, it just isn't there.....

strange one MC and even stranger , thats exactly what I do too. hard in the lefts , on rights I'm not as confident.Must be a mental thing or maybe you have a mental dissorder and its affecting ME..

Same here. I'm definitely a righty, and don't really know what the deal is. Guess I never really thought about it until right now.
rock.gif

Its more of a mental block... It works pretty much like this for me -

a) Going up-hill, lefts are more confident!! Right had turns are not
b) Coming down-hill Right turns are confident ... lefts are not
c) Regular roads - no mental block!!

I have the same condition. For me I think that I push harder in a left hand turn because if I lose it, I slide off the road ino the ditch. On a right hand turn I will have a chance of going head-on with a vehicle before I get to the ditch. Just the little things that run through my head!!
biggrin.gif

I have the same condition. For me I think that I push harder in a left hand turn because if I lose it, I slide off the road ino the ditch. On a right hand turn I will have a chance of going head-on with a vehicle before I get to the ditch. Just the little things that run through my head!!
biggrin.gif
Busain -
I think you've hit it. Some many crashes around here lately (especially motorcyclists being hit by cars) I may have mentally focused on this. That's why I'm hear to get the perspective of others. Thanks!

What you have all posted makes sense. Along with that you might just need to sort of calibrate the old gyros in your brain.

An easy training method is to find a large flat paved area and then start riding in a circle. Start out going about fifteen mph in a large circle and then cut across the circle by increasing your lean angle a few times. After you get bored as snot with that, start out in a large circle and then slowly start increasing the speed of your bike but maintain the same track. When you get up to a speed that puts you about half of the lean angle you think you want to be at, maintain that speed but decrease the size of the circle, whiich will require a greater lean angle.

For what it's worth.

I used to be the same way, ride aggressive into left turns and so so into rights. After a couple of months riding the drive, I got my right turns as aggressive as the lefts. I was on a GSXR750 using my knee sliders. Lots of fun when you do get it though!!
biggrin.gif

I used to semi-pro water ski. In the slalom course I never missed a right hand cone that must be cleared by turning to the left. But the cones on the left I had to make right hand turns which were much more difficult for me to perform.
Turning right on a motorcycle is very difficult for me just as it was with watersking.

Mad`

What you have all posted makes sense.  Along with that you might just need to sort of calibrate the old gyros in your brain.

An easy training method is to find a large flat paved area and then start riding in a circle.  Start out going about fifteen mph in a large circle and then cut across the circle by increasing your lean angle a few times.  After you get bored as snot with that, start out in a large circle and then slowly start increasing the speed of your bike but maintain the same track.  When you get up to a speed that puts you about half of the lean angle you think you want to be at, maintain that speed but decrease the size of the circle, whiich will require a greater lean angle.

For what it's worth.
Heli -
Thanks for the comments. I have done a lo of the slow speed roadwork, what I am talking about is relatively new.....I have only noticed it for a few days. Need to get it back over though.

I used to semi-pro water ski. In the slalom course I never missed a right hand cone that must be cleared by turning to the left. But the cones on the left I had to make right hand turns which were much more difficult for me to perform.
Turning right on a motorcycle is very difficult for me just as it was with watersking.

Mad`
Mad,
Hadn't seen you here before - welcome and Semper Fi!

me too....left like crazy, rights are tough. For me I think it has to do with the controls...the throttle, front and rear brakes all on the right side. When I'm going left I have easy access to all the controls, but when I'm going right I have to adjust my hand and foot position to get into the turn and I think that new position is what makes it fall apart for me. I gotta get back into the parking lots and do the circles again to work on my right turn positioning...

rock.gif
for me..i can make a right turn or a right u turn with the best of ease..even lean it like crazy...but when im going to my left..i seem to have a hard time...even when making a u turn slower than a turtle, i still have to find a huge spot to turn to..weird huh??
down.gif
i need to go to a parking lot too and practice some lefty's...
tounge.gif

Im right handed also and much more comfortable in the left turns. I noticed this when I was a kid on a bike coming off large hills going into a corner pretty fast. It is kind of weird.

its all in your head.

MC> you riding this weekend? I got monday free if you want to go burn some gas

Back