Is there really a difference?

pseudo

Donating Member
Registered
I'm not really all that technical, and these sort of questions get asked a lot, but rather than ask "which is better" I want to ask:

1. Do after market exhausts systems really improve performance that much? And if so is there much difference between systems, or does it just come down to style and sound?

2. Header differences. I've noticed differences, such as welding styles, hydro-forming (cobra snake looking stuff), and springs? Does all that stuff really matter? I noticed that the HMF system looks to be pretty basic, but the Akrapovic Evolution system has spring connections, and a funky welding setup.

3. Ease of install. I'm looking to save myself money. As I said above, I'm not technical, but I am mechanically competent, and can usually figure things out. Would anyone suggest trying to install either of these systems themselves? and what is involved?

4. I was planning on getting the RAM single sided swing arm for my bike. I have heard rumors of the HMF being a tight fit and rubbing on the swing arm. Has anyone here had any experience with the RAM arm, and know if this will work or not?

Thanks guys.

Read and comprehend....... Then you will be able to answer your own questions!
I know it's a long read, but it's worth it.

The HMF is harder to install than the Akrapovic, I dont want to start a pissing contest, but it will depend on what you want.A 1 can set up, dual cans etc.The HP levels achieved with both set/ups is relatively close with the HMF with the slight advantage as someone posted up a while back on a dyno session on which these 2 were tested along with a yosh system.The akrapovic is a beautiful piece if you opt for the EVO full titanium,Its just a matter of what you want.Hope this helps.NJ.:)

Okay, ater reading the thread, I'm still left with the question of "what are the springs for?" and "Whould any of you suggest installing these myself?"

As far as ease of install goes, the HMF isn't easy, but it can be done if you've got time, patience, and basic mechanical skill. I can't imagine the Akrapovic would be any different. I do know there is a full walkthrough floating around on how to install the HMFs. It helped me a lot.

Get the CF HMFs. If you don't like them, get the Povics and send me the HMFs
biggrin.gif

As far as ease of install goes, the HMF isn't easy, but it can be done if you've got time, patience, and basic mechanical skill. I can't imagine the Akrapovic would be any different. I do know there is a full walkthrough floating around on how to install the HMFs. It helped me a lot.
I dont think there are any shimming issues with the akrapovic system with respect to rear passenger pegs.The HMF requires some experimentation in this aspect to get the cans right.NJ.

also, it appears in some of the photos, that there is a "bar" connecting the cans? Can somone verify this? If so, does that mean I would need a replacment undertail for it to fit?

Also, if anyone has a link t that walkthrough, that would be great!

The Akra Evo system (full Ti.) is a EASY to install. Everything fits perfectly. Nothing rubs, nothing must be forced, it all FALLS into place. If you see the two systems side by side, the welding and overall fit and finish goes to Akra HANDS DOWN. From what I've read HP gains are about the same. Beyond that, it's just a matter of going with what style turns you on. My Evo system is brand new at it's just slightly less noisy than the HMF's. Also, from what I've read it will gain a little volume over time.

Back