I'm a big guy 300 lbs plus can I safely use a gixxer 600 swing arm?

Chango

Registered
It's getting to be that time of year again where I put my bike up for the winter. I was going to do the 4" stretch. I don't like the bulky look of the busa swing arm and I noticed that a guy running around town has the extensions but he doesn't have the bulky thing on his swing arm.

My mechanic says he used a gixxer 600 swing arm with the extensions to get that look. He said it's not uncommon and "it should be safe" I can't say I'm completely ok with that recommendation considering I'm a big dude.. So I wanted to bring it to the .org . I have seen the video of a swing arm failure. I'm really giving this consideration if it is a common swap.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Personally I'd think the 600 arm would be pretty weak by comparison.. but I have nothing to really base that on besides speculation..

-D

I was thinking the same thing how ever I have to admit I have no idea about anything on the 600. I just wanted to see if some have done it and what their feelings on my using extensions as well! Thanks for the reply and input.

If SUZUKI R&D believed a 600 swingarm can be safely used in a 1340 cc bike, then they would have done so from THE FACTORY. My 2 cents: when it comes to a choice between FORM (looks) vs. FUNCTION (safety......the no-brainer choice for is safety.

If I was 300lbs and riding a busa I wouldn't trust my life or my bike on a swingarm of any kind with extensions....??? I would order a quality extended swingarm from a name brand company.

i wudnt trust extensions at 200 lbs let alone 300. spend the money on a decent arm. u can find em used all the time over at psychobike

My mechanic says he used a gixxer 600 swing arm with the extensions to get that look. He said it's not uncommon and "it should be safe" I can't say I'm completely ok with that recommendation considering I'm a big dude.. So I wanted to bring it to the .org . I have seen the video of a swing arm failure. I'm really giving this consideration if it is a common swap.

So are you going to bet your life on SHOULD?
If you don't like the look of a car you don't buy it, and then try to mod it with a smaller car's parts because you didn't like
the looks of a mod that appeared too beefy which is what was the norm.

You said you have seen a swing arm failure. Do you want to be in a hospital room saying I wish I had gone with
a swing are DESIGNED for my bike? That is, if your still around and able to talk......

You can do what you want, but I think you already know the answer to your question - don't you?

Thanks for the input! I didnt like the sound of his suggestion. The stretch was not just for looks as some assumed. On a few more times then I would like on aggressive throttle I had the front come up on me. I plan on going with a full swing arm intended for a busa about 4" longer. Thanks again .org

I'm 300 lbs and my Busa ride is much different than you lighter guys. I can roll on full throttle from dead stop and the wheel will hover 8" above the ground. Rarely does the wheel lift without me making it happen. I have 180+ hp and it is not a problem because the bike is pulling a lot of weight (me). I ride right on the tank when getting aggressive. When I hear about these guys on here with 300hp turbo busas I can totally see using that power. Bottom line is a normal Busa is not going to flip a 300 lb rider unless you pull it up.

An underbraced 600 arm isn't an issue. That's what was on my turbo bike for years.

Back