Is the peg on the foot shifted pressed or screwed in?

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
My bike is 2005 model. The only online manuals I can find or for 1999-2000 and after 2005-2013. Looking in the 99-2000 manual I cannot find a diagram of the foot shift. I've looked until I'm blind.

What I want to do is increase the length of the peg (with the rubber cushion) on the foot shift. I have really big feet, and I find myself pigeon toeing my foot to get under it or over it. I would like to lengthen it by about an inch.

If the peg is pressed in, I will have to take it to a shop and let them punch it out and replace it with a longer one. If it is threaded it would be easier. Either way I'm wondering where to get a longer rubber sleeve for it.

Anyone have any ideas? I have a large bunion on the big toe joint on that side, which a doctor will gladly remove, leaving me in a walking cast for 6 weeks. I think it would be easier to lengthen the peg than to cut my foot down. ???

Floyd,
If I'm not mistaken they are pressed in but also welded from factory. Hence selling a whole new lever in case of a tip over etc. Not simply replacable as a aftermarket toe peg would be(simple allen head bolt from backside into peg). What I would suggest if you plan to keep factory rearsets would be take off your lever assembly(snap ring & bolt on bracket to tranny linkage) or whole left rearset(3 main bolts & bracket to tranny linkage) which ever is easier or you prefer.

And then simply cut/grind off your peg on there now. And then you can maybe punch out or just drill out piece left in lever. You can buy toe pegs for aftermarket rearsets seperatley and in different styles colors etc. They have them knurled,rolled and also with rubbers just depends on brand and what you want. And once yours is off and hole opened up all you would need to do is simply bolt the new one on.

OR if you want something simple and cheap you can do same procedure and then get you a threaded spacer/stand off like in pics. Thru hole in lever, slim nut on back w/red loctiteor screw in from backside depending on which you get, slide your rubber over it, screw fairing bolt into outer side which will hold rubber on and cap it off. And doing it this way you should be able to make the peg any length you want.

Can do the same thing with a 3/16-1/4 bolt,2 nuts and a piece of fuel line. now that's a rigged scenerio but you could also use that way to find out the length that works best for you. Had a buddy dropped his bike over once and snapped off that peg on a 750 ride before we were going riding and he got POed cause he though his day was done. 10 minutes and the bolt/nut trick and he was riding again, cheap ass rode it like that for a year and 1/2 and sold the bike still like that. And he was one that thought you need to slam every gear and it held up to him.

Dang, took longer to type that than it would to do it. :laugh:

31gZaAV9ykL.jpg

8056.Jpg

Here ya go, I found this pic to try to explain what I meant about pressed then welded in. See how it's coned out off the lever.

$(KGrHqF,!o8FC1324CWeBQ01frMeMg~~60_57 (1).jpg

Here ya go, I found this pic to try to explain what I meant about pressed then welded in. See how it's coned out off the lever.

Thank you for the help. I pulled the rubber back, and just as you say and show, it is welded. That is damned cheap, almost designed to be expensive manufacturing!

I believe I will do the cut and grind down idea, and then use a bolt to figure out what the exact length should be. Then I will take it to the metal shop and let them press fit or maybe thread a new peg in. The reason is that I had the foot shift extended by 1-1/2 " to fit my big foot.

I haven't seen any aftermarket levers with pegs that would come on a lever that could be of different lengths, although if there were, I would rather purchase something that looks nicer than the one I have with a welded in extension.

BTW, when you say rear set, what are you referring to?

Thanks,

Floyd

Here are a couple of pics that a commercial shop did with the shift peg. Really neat work I thought. I wish I had known these guys when I had the lever extended 1.5 inches.

LongerPegFront.jpg

LongerPegBack.jpg

I have an 05 and can tell u its welded on.

As you can see from the pictures mine is not welded on anymore. RMac Shop ground the old welded one off and replaced it with the aluminum ribbed one which is bolted on from the rear side with a flush hex head bolt. Pretty nice job I think. The peg is 3/4" longer than the original to accommodate my big foot.

Floyd

LongerPegBack.jpg

Back