Is my tire safe for another 50 miles?

maoz

Registered
My rear tire (D207) is balding in the center and there is a faint line in the center of it (it is the band, or whatever, it is called). How big of a concern is this? I am scheduled to get a new tire put on Tuesday (I'll be out of town Friday-Monday) and I want to ride around town tomorrow since it has been raining for the last week and tomorrow is supposed to be very nice weather wise. Is 50-75 miles a real concern if I can see this band? Forgive me if this is an absurd question - I have no experience with this.

mine is sitting in the garage for the exact same reason... it's gonna be beautiful this weekend.. but i'm not willing to risk it personally... if you do it will spin very easily when your on that part of the tire.. that means if you ride it be easy and be especially easy if your running it hard from left to right transitions..

i personally don't think it's worth the risk.. the tire is toast.. hehe..

look at it this way.. not being able to ride till tuesday will teach you a valuable leason about having a reserve tire... hehe trust me... I am learning right now.

you DO realize your riding a MOTORCYCLE and not driving a 4 wheeled vehicle right???

Your margin for error is just about 0.0001% for a blowout or lost traction on a bike. When you push a tire for "just a couple more miles" on a car, you dont dont low-side, hi-side, or ass over tea kettle!! But your busa will

Your tires sound BEYOND bald, dude. leave it in the garage, nice days will be here soon enough. Be patient!

Sounds like it is as bad as I thought - I'll take the cage tomorrow. Thanks for your advice guys
smile.gif

If you are showing chord that is concern. Don't chance the ride. get your new tire on period.

Doesn't take long for the Busa to eat that rubber up. Last year
I was living in Myrtle Beach during fall Harley week. To sum it
up rear tire bald on Wed.....30-40 minute ride Wed night....
chord showing Thur morning. And that was after an easy ride,
nuthin hard. Wise choice to take the cage..ya only have 2
wheels as it is, so better make em good ones if ya know what
I mean
wink.gif

I'd like to get it taken care of today but I don't have a tire changer and the Suzuki stealer here is booked up until Thursday. I might give the other Suzuki stealer (about 30 miles away) a call and see if he has anything.

My old tire had a bald spot but not showing cords. Went out for a 60 mile ride and when I got home this is what it looked like. 2700 miles and no burnouts!

old_tire.jpg

Imagine doing a mere 70mph the tire warms up and blows weven on a straight-away ... It aint gonna be pretty. and what would make its worst is you'ld be thinking "I knew better and now instead of having to wait 2 or 3 days to ride I have to wait 2 or 3 months while the bike gets fixed and I recover from my injuries". As they say haste makes waste!

I found a place to get it changed today at noon. Here was my conversation with the Suzuki dealer service guy:

Me: I'd like to get a new tire put on my Suzuki Hayabusa.
Tech: Ok, what size is it?
Me: The bike or the tire?
Tech: The bike.
Me: A 1300cc.
Tech: Ok, what size tire do you want?
Me: 190-50-ZR-17.
Tech: Ok, so what kind of bike do you have.
Me: A Hayabusa, GSX1300r.
Tech: Is that a Suzuki?
Me: Yes.
Tech: Its not a scooter, is it?
Me: Thank you, goodbye.

I'll wait to go to the other dealer on Tuesday. No way was this guy going to touch my bike!
rock.gif

Back