Cupping Tires

sccrvettel82

I've been quiet lately...Don't m
Donating Member
Registered
Has anyone ever had their Pilot Powers Cup just off the center of the tire? My front tire is begining to cup about 1 inch off the center all the way around the tire. Kinda like a bunch of cups around the entire wheel. They have about 3,000 miles and plenty of tread left on them.

I hve only ever seen bike tires do this once before and that was on a used Royal Star I picked up. I always have the air pressure around 33-36 lbs

All I see on the tire is 42 psi, the manual calls for 42 psi. I run 38 psi, but 33 sound awful low. Just put a PP 2CT on front about 500 miles ago. I hope that I don't have this issue. Was planning on getting at least 15K on the front.

I understand you might build up more heat if you are corner carving, but would you gain a 6 - 7 psi delta
rock.gif

If you consistently ride at 33-34 psi that could be the root of the problem. That puts you at almost 22% below manufacturer recommended psi. I'll typically run 38-39 psi. Also, PPs have a very soft rubber and many refer to the tires as being a little squishy or forgiving when compared to other sport tires but provide exceptional grip.

If you run 33 or even lower for some over time the tire will build up lots of heat - too much heat than designed for actually - and stress and ultimately minimize the integrity of the tire casing.

Also check your alignment...look at the alignment marks on either side of your swingarm and make sure they are the same. Try running your tire with the bike securely on stands and look to see how well it consistently rotates. Check the tension on your chain as well.

When I had the pilot power on the rear i couldnt stand it, no traction. Cupping that is in a bunch of different spots is caused by defective shocks/struts/forks on all tires. Either your fork springs are bad or the seals are out. If it was low tire pressure it would be an even wear all the way around the tire. If it was a bad belt in the tire it would only be in one spot

Cupping is usually a fault of the suspension. Have your forks checked out.

Might check to see if the front is still in balance also.

All lower PSI is going to do is increase tire wear, it won't cause cupping. All of us trackday junkies run 29-34PSI at the track and I've never heard anyone complain of cupping. Remember 42PSI is max gross weight PSI, that's with a passenger and luggage, not riding solo.

(sccrvettel82 @ Apr. 25 2007,09:02) Has anyone ever had their Pilot Powers Cup just off the center of the tire?  My front tire is begining to cup about 1 inch off the center all the way around the tire.  Kinda like a bunch of cups around the entire wheel.  They have about 3,000 miles and plenty of tread left on them.  

I hve only ever seen bike tires do this once before and that was on a used Royal Star I picked up.  I always have the air pressure around 33-36 lbs
Have you EVER had your suspension adjusted
rock.gif
Sounds like your compression and rebound
settings are off
wink.gif

(dadofthree @ Apr. 25 2007,15:23) I ho for a living  
laugh.gif
I'm a professional
And ruin the search engines on websites. Let's not forget that small detail....

ices_rofl.gif

(Shanling @ Apr. 25 2007,20:32)
(dadofthree @ Apr. 25 2007,15:23) I ho for a living
laugh.gif
I'm a professional
And ruin the search engines on websites. Let's not forget that small detail....

ices_rofl.gif
WTF is this search engine, please explain, so I can have fun too.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Back