Is it safe to move the rectifier???

Because it is a Heat Sinked electrical component that is getting covered in road tar, etc. This coating is reducing it's ability to dissipate heat.

I have been pondering this question for a long time, I would like to move it, but I feel it should be in an air flow.

Semicondutor lifespan is directly related to it's temperature.

I think a bit of road grime is preferable to stagnant air flow?

Because it is a Heat Sinked electrical component that is getting covered in road tar, etc. This coating is reducing it's ability to dissipate heat.

I have been pondering this question for a long time, I would like to move it, but I feel it should be in an air flow.

Semicondutor lifespan is directly related to it's temperature.

Sounds like basic semi conductor circuit design to me. (Couldn't have said it better). If it wasn't trying to dump heat it wouldnt have cooling fins. Wether it has the design capacity to take worst operating conditions is the question, and for how long. Such as a discharged battery, bike running with high beam on, very high ambient heat, and minimal airflow. I read what Schnitz had to say, and it sounds ok. My deal is, its easy to come up with a bracket, but why would zuke put it where its at now, if cooling were not an issue? If the unit's design is robust it will take it, if not it will just overheat and fail. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I think a bit of road grime is preferable to stagnant air flow?

Agreed, this is my current thought, even though I hate the grime. I have not looked at the connectors,(are they heat shrinked/coated?), I thought, well shoot!, what if they start to oxidize from all the grime, that will cause higher temps as well.:banghead:

Almost a darned if you do and darned if you dont. Insufficient data to make me move it out of the "airflow" at this time.

Staying put until I see a "move it into the "clean" airflow mod"

Last edited:
Sounds like basic semi conductor circuit design to me. (Couldn't have said it better). If it wasn't trying to dump heat it wouldnt have cooling fins. Wether it has the design capacity to take worst operating conditions is the question, and for how long. Such as a discharged battery, bike running with high beam on, very high ambient heat, and minimal airflow. I read what Schnitz had to say, and it sounds ok. My deal is, its easy to come up with a bracket, but why would zuke put it where its at now, if cooling were not an issue? If the unit's design is robust it will take it, if not it will just overheat and fail. Just my two cents.

All good points! Solid State Physics/Semicondutor design was my major. Practical experience includes my burning up many semiconductors :laugh:

You hit the nail on the head with "How Robust", that is the real "unanswered" question.

Does taking it out of the airflow take days off a possible 10 year lifespan, or years off a lifespan ?

Unfortunately all unknowns without detailed information.

Ill keep my eyes and ears on those brave souls who moved it out of the airflow, perhaps it is soooo "overspeced" it could survive a Chernobyl meltdown :laugh:

Last edited:
Back