Rectifier failed 2008

dennisr

Registered
The bike is 2 months and 3300kms old and the rectifier failed. Off course it failed 60 kms from home and the first warning was the F1 light. When I stopped the battery was flat. A charge failure light would be a useful feature. The bike was delivered home on the back of a truck and I got it back from the workshop today.

My concern is why did the unit fail? I found on this site a comment about damage from stones off the rear wheel and while I couldn't see any visible damage there are road stones in the rear undercowl fairing and on top of the rectifier bracket.

I am thinking about how to protect the rectifier. Any ideas welcomed?

:welcome:

Don't know if I can help you there. I haven't found any rock on the rectifier on my bike. Might be worth making an aluminum splash plate.

I moved mine to the right rear of the tail section. E-bay has a them for a cheap price. I made my own rectifier relocation bracket. I added adjustable dog bones to mine and the rectifier was in the way. It was also covered in sand, grease, etc.

move it... just tilt it a little forward and it doesn't touch any plastic... :thumbsup:

SANY0243.jpg

I wondered about its placement my self. But basicly its got to dump heat given off by rectifing AC to DC,via its heat sink body & cooling fins. Usually the design is such that the semi conductor circuit will operate even under the worst conditions,ie, high ambient heat,poor to no air flow, and a discharged battery demanding a high current flow, along with operatng the bike at 13.8 volts. I don't see small stone impacts as a failure issue.Sooo; heat,the design or just plain failed components.Just my two cents.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
That's why you have a warranty...parts FAIL!!!

Defective unit...replace and ride on :thumbsup:

Well, if it was from rocks then you can always get at rear wheel hugger, I did:

3004213436_92f71df164.jpg
|

3004211212_4b7628886d.jpg

3004212272_1465b21742.jpg

This might never happen if you get a hugger plus its good for extra protection. I was going to get mine painted to match the bike but never got around to it.

BTW, that one posted on my bike is a power bronze, the black version not carbon fiber.

Last edited:
Mine failed when it was new. Left me stranded in Daytona during Biketoberfest. It also caused some midpipe discoloration because of the low voltage. After i finally got it back home the dealer stated it was defective and just went out. They replaced it under warranty. I haven't had an issue since, but it has only been since late October of 08 untill now. I haven't ridden that much because of winter and work. I hope the problem is solved, whatever it was.

but in the first place y did they put it there????? they should move somewhere protected

Well like I said before, their trying to keep it cool. If you relocate it where it can't dump heat efficently, it may stress it past the design.

Back