Is it safe to move the rectifier???

Greenbean

Registered
Well, I had the 08 running for a while today while on the rear stand,

I have removed my rectifier and re-routed the wiring but the bracket isn here just yet so I had it sitting on a towel and both seats were off the bike,

I went to grab that thing after shutting the bike down and Holy Crap I didn't realize how much heat it had coming off of it, I almost put a 2nd degree blister burn on my fingers.:banghead:

Should I really relocate it or leave it down south there.???

:laugh:

SANY0243.jpg

no problems yet...

What does that part even do?
It converts an A/C current to DC current it also dissipates excess current as heat.. Does exactly the same thing as a "diode bridge/trio" in a cars alternator and then some..

On the relocation...

Suzuki moved it down into the airflow from the original spot and I would have to guess that there was a reason.. I was unaware of any real issues with the original placement but the added air flow may be needed .. (did they increase the output on the charging system by chance?) IMO, I would just leave it where it is.. not causing any trouble..

Last edited:
I am really thinking about leaving it down low,

I mean that thing got hot just sitting there, and I realized it wasn't going to encounter any air flow inside my tail end, lol...

Now I can put my rear end back together, :laugh:

Bene's for leaving it where Zuk mounted...

- Better cooling (cooler implies less chance for failure to me)
- Lower center of gravity (than if mounted higher)
- rectifier blocks filthe from being thrown on your expensive aftermarket shock from rear tire / or the oem shock in my case.
- $25 (or an hour labor) can go toward something else

Benefits of relocating at the popular spot
Cleaner appearance

hope the post add's value for someone..

I can't take the chance here in Florida of the rectifier's heat sink not being able to dump heat efficiently enough to stay within its design specifications, when repositoned out of the flow of air. I say try it but be prepared for failure of the charging circuit.

Last edited:
great I just moved mine and put the tail back on. maybe I will leave it there for a while and see what happens:whistle:

No issues so far...got more then 1300 miles since my install and 320 miles of that on the dragon! No issues! No more dirt and grime on mine!

P1010028.jpg

Same here, I moved mine when I did the slam & stretch......1000miles or so with no problems :beerchug:
BTW, mine is in the rear tail section also.

ya y move it ???

Because it is a Heat Sinked electrical component that is getting covered in road tar, etc. This coating is reducing it's ability to dissipate heat.

I have been pondering this question for a long time, I would like to move it, but I feel it should be in an air flow.

Semicondutor lifespan is directly related to it's temperature.

Last edited:
Back