Is it easier to become out of control at speed in a car or motorcycle?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Was just outside on the lot and a Charger came in. It was a newer one and owner was telling us about how it made 1200 hp and cruised at 190. He was a nice guy so I asked him how solid it was at that speed. He said it was smooth as could be and didn't feel the least bit like it was on the edge. I was outside with a couple other guys and one asked me how stable my bike is at the speed. I told him I would feel alot more safe and sound at speed on a bike built and windtunnel tested to operate at that speed than a car that had been modified to go that fast. They all looked at me like I was an idiot. (I probably am) But anyway I said my bike was built for the sole purpose of going fast, super fast and that a car especially his charger was not aerodynamically designed to go that fast and to push it there was asking for trouble. Again they all said they would be more comfy in a car going fast than on a bike.
Me I feel fine at speed on a bike and don't feel as if I'm soon to take flight ang go for a roll, a car going fast unless it's an exotic designed for speed I don't feel comfy in.

So I ask you:

Do you feel safer on a bike, any bike going fast than in a regular car modified to go fast?
When you are at speed on said motorcycle do you feel more in control and less on the edge than in a car?

As far as design, I agree that a bike is better suited for speed. But I still feel safer in a car because of the seat belt and air bag.

i know it's a false sense of saftey, but i do too feel better a top end on the busa then at just 130mph in a regular mustang or some sort. the busa is def meant for some high speed mahem:thumbsup:

The Z06 I had felt fine at speed. My bigger beef would be the 1200HP charger. I'd have to see that to believe it going 190. Driveshafts, differentials, and things not designed for that kind of speed tend to be unforgiving.

The Z06 I had felt fine at speed. My bigger beef would be the 1200HP charger. I'd have to see that to believe it going 190. Driveshafts, differentials, and things not designed for that kind of speed tend to be unforgiving.

I looked under the hood. He had done a tremendous amount of modding to get it there. 1200hp and 190? I don't know but the topic was really which one would you feel safer on or in? I still feel safer on a bike.

I wouldn't say I feel safer on just any bike, but I would prefer to do those speeds on a Busa or other modern sport bike that's designed for it. My first thought was wheel bearing failure in the car. Just because you got the engine to be that strong certainly doesn't mean the rest of the car is up for it.

I'd have to say my bike over the Charger. I felt much safer in a porsche I got to drive than my bike. like twobrothers said the Charger is not built for that speed.

I'd have to say my bike over the Charger. I felt much safer in a porsche I got to drive than my bike. like twobrothers said the Charger is not built for that speed.

That's how I felt. A Lamborghini or Ferrari sure I'd feel fine in but a big blocky Charger pushing all that wind just didn't seem safe to me. I remember my 2000 Mustang Gt. I had a procharger on it and it made 462 to the wheels. At 150 it was shifting all over the road and felt like it was fixing to take off. Just unnerving is what it was.

a motorcycle, and here's why.
:learn:it starts with Newton's first law of motion: "Every object persists in its state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line unless it is compelled to change that state by forces impressed on it," :type: add to that the laws of Gyroscopic motion, where above the speed of 18mph the forces of gyroscopic motion make the machine want to stay upright. only with the application of an outside force will the motorcycle deviate from it's course.
:poke: a motorcycle wants to stay upright, especially at speed, in a straight line.

:whistle: i hope i explained that correctly. there is really ALOT more to it than that, but i didn't feel the need to go into it. :laugh:

I feel safer on a bike than in a car. There's a whole lotta inertia and momentum involved in going fast, and cars just make me uncomfortable past a certain point.

My bigger beef would be the 1200HP charger. I'd have to see that to believe it going 190. Driveshafts, differentials, and things not designed for that kind of speed tend to be unforgiving.
This is taken from LX forums

Fastest Top Speed -195.3mph
Year
Vehicle
Dodge Magnum SRT8
Engine type and displacement
429ci HEMI V8
Induction
S/C
Major modifications
Techco Twinscrew S/C, Motorad 170deg T-Stat, Diablo Predator
Tranny type
Hybrid

Fastest 1/4 Mile ET 8.433 1/4 Mile MPH 171.08
Year
Vehicle
Dodge Challenger SRT8
Engine type and displacement
Induction
Turbo
Major modifications
406,twin 76mm's
Tranny type
Automatic
Tires
Slicks
Race weight
Horsepower
60 foot time
1/8 Mile ET
1/8 Mile MPH

Until Audi gives me a shot in their F1 car, it's the Hayabusa for some Everglades high speed runs.
SR 29 Immokalee, Fl.

IMG_1103.jpg

since a bike and a car have different size contact points to the surface...turning chacteristics differ = a different line on a track. The chassis has a lot to do with handeling (a ducati tube frame vs a stiff aluminium suzuki frame) + suspension traits / set up. For the easier to get out of control question...I'd say a car becuase most people get in gas and don't go as fast as they want...in a car that will unload the front end while putting the power to the back tires will cause a spin out or a eat the wall situation...as for bikes (myself included) the running out of road is driver error...lean more and the machine will do what it is designed to do.

there are some nice F1 and rally car videos showing the brake/clutch/gas footwork ont ytube

Having been in a car or two with more the 500 at the ground I would rather be on a bike. 1,200 is a number big enough to make it snap loose at just about any speed, and once the car is loose it's going to cover a bunch of road straightening up.

I have been on 2-3 different bikes and found the rev limiter in 6th. All in all I felt more at peace on 2 wheels because I knew they had be specifically designed to do that. I think someone the more important parts of safely going 150+ were over looked in at least one of the cars I was in.

See that was my point. From motor to frame to suspension to fairings most sportbikes are made to go fast. That charger was nowhere near aerodynamic and sitting still looked like and accident waiting to happen.

He said he had like a 502ci engine in it with all afm internals as well as a procharger with intercooler. It sounded frigging mean and I don't doubt it made alot of power. Told me he had cracked a couple windshields and had to stiffen chassis with undercarriage supports as well as a roll bar inside. 1200hp? Ahhhhhhhhh I dont know and don't really care.

I would feel safer in a car...But I wouldn't feel safe in a car that a guy shoved a ton a hp in if he didn't do the appropriate modifications to the rest of the power train. Transmission, drive-shaft, rear-end and suspension trans-axles if has them. I will admit that charger is not aerodynamic, but neither is a naked Busa and someone went to over 250mph with one of those :laugh:

If he did all the work to it I'd feel better going 190 in that than on the bike.

4 wheels are more stable than two. I have been going down the road at 65 75 mph on a windy day and got hit by a gust of wind and had to slightly lean into the wind to keep her straight an headed in the direction I want. Now you tucked and rolling at 190 and get by a bad gust of wind could really ruin your day. Car is better planted and connected to the ground and heavier.

I have had some fast cars in my time and yes one of them had well over 1200 HP and was street driven. With that said I have been very fast with them also. At the top speed I never had any trouble with the cars wondering and it felt very stable at high speeds. How ever my cars were pretty much Pro Stock cars built for the street. I have road in quite a few cars that were not built for the kind of speeds this guy is talking about and I really think he is on borrowed time before something happens. I know the faster I go on my bike the smoother it is so I am going to say The Bike for me :laugh::thumbsup:

I`m gonna have to say the motorcycle. Pushed the cousins `91 Z28 to the upper limits (stock) and it felt rather `floaty`.
The bike at it`s upper limit felt pretty smooth....although the thought of a mechanical failure at those speeds can be a little unsettleing.
Now if the said car had something welded up(out of swing-set pipe) by BigBadDodge, that `resembled` a roll cage...:laugh:

Back