Iron Butt trip to Florida for bike week, North Carolina and back to Wisconsin

I think it's awesome. My wife and I did a trip last year from Western NY to Florida & back (3520 miles in 10 days total). No interstate riding, basically all Rt15 & 17 all the way down then west for the return hitting Deals Gap. We'll do it again that's for sure, just not this trip home as it's a bit to early in the season. We were planning a trip to Colorado and back but still to early in the season, maybe in August or so.

Great pics too! I can't wait to get home this week and do some riding! Jealous jealous jealous............... :banghead:

That sounds like a good trip:thumbsup: I also was planning to hit the deals gap on the way back, but the weather wasn't that great. :banghead:

Awesome, thanks for posting!! Daytona bike pics are always non-stop fun!

Wow, lots of miles, memories and pics! Thanks for sharing!! :thumbsup:

I'd love to make it to bike week just once in my lifetime...

When are we riding to the keys to mile marker zero:laugh::laugh:

Yes, that got me thinking. Once I got done with this trip I started thinking how can I made it 1500 in 24 hrs? I need it Around 166 more miles and only had 1.5 hours left. That was going to be tough, less stops and more speed, more planning too, I did hit some traffic that set me back some time :banghead:

You can see the route I did on my 1550 in 23 ride here - https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/trips-touring/153357-1550-miles-23-hours-gen2.html

Out here in the west is way easier to eat miles. Don't even need to speed as all the highways have 75-80 MPH limits. But the most important thing is managing your stopped time. When your wheels aren't turning your overall average drops quick.

1. How much did you spend on fuel?
From Wi to Fl it took $140, on the whole trip I spend around $370

2. What did you take with you such as a flat tire kit, wet weather gear, etc?
Flat tire repair kit, a lil air compressor, basic tools, some ear plugs, aspirin, the 5hr energy bottle (but didnt use it) full leather suit (nothing for wet weather )

3. How did you prepare for the trip?
I try to rest up the night before, took some snack and water for the way, made sure I had a charger on the bike for the tunes, but Im not sure if thats what you meant asking.

4. How often would you stop and for how long?
My first 2 stops was about every 3-4 hrs, after that I was stopping around 1-2 hrs, I tryed to keep my stops around 10-15 min long.

5. How did your body feel after the trip?
My neck and shoulders were a lil sore the next day, thats where I notice the more damage. Butt, legs and back were lil tired but not too bad.

6. Any speeding tickets?
No speeding tickets, the faster I was traveling the more pressure I felt on the neck, arms and shoulders area due to the increase air hitting the body, the faster I was going the faster I was getting tired, so I just cruise along with the flow.

7. Hotels that you stayed at did you feel that your bike was secure and or did you use security measures?
I didnt stay in any hotels, stayed with friends and family, but I packed a steel cable with a lock just in case. I did lock it up to a light pole at my friends house cause he didnt have a garage. If I need to stay at a hotel I would try to get something on first floor to get bike inside. :laugh:

8. How did you take pictures while riding?
Ah, thats just a lil trick I have, small phone very easy to get in and out of the pocket, very easy to use and get on camera mode.

9. Did you use a GPS and if you did what type?
I used a regular car gps, but I did mounted it inside the windscreen, just above the speedometer in case that it rain.

10. Any rain?
I did hit some lil rain just about 45 min or so, I keep an eye on the weather to plan my route. I do need to get me a rain suit, I got rain for 8 hr on my last trip.

I hope this helps, any other question or if its not clear feel free to ask again

Thanks for you reply, this should help me out in a couple of months.

You should have hit Southernmost in Key West while here, still one of my top 5 rides ever is the run to Key West, not a Parrot Head and dont even like the Keys for more than one day but is a great ride from top to bottom. Looks liek you had a great ride, miss the hills.

Man that looks like a lot of fun. Did you go solo? I can't believe you fit all your stuff in that bag. Any different seat or handle bars? Thanks for the share.

Back