The Diamondback and Rattler Ride North Carolina June 1st - 3rd

With only a few weeks left of nice warm weather before the southern hot humid sets in I was wanting to schedule a ride and run the Diamondback & Rattler located in North Carolina. Highly rated roads by motorcycle ride forums. Here is some information on the 2 rides. I am planning on leaving Plesantview TN. (350 miles) Friday morning towards Little Switzerland N.C. with an ETA of 5PM EST. Who else is up for some Blue Ridge North Carolina Twisties Weekend Of Fun.:thumbsup:

The Rattler - NC 209
There are over 234 twists, turns and curves from Lake Junaluska to Hot Springs and another 30 from Hot Springs down to the Bobarosa Saloon. We think the "Rattler" is better then the Drangons Tail, Hellbender, The Snake or The Devils Triangle for scenic beauty and for testing your riding skills.
NC 209 has a little bit of everything a motorcycle rider is looking for - pastoral valley views, challenging mountain climbs, twisty and tight technical sections, and a great little mountain town to visit - Hot Springs, NC. A popular weekend ride from Asheville, Maggie Valley, and Waynesville, it can be a lazy roll through the scenic countryside or a place to test the edge of your tires. It's up to you.
Total Distance :: 32.7 miles
Elevation Information
Lowest Point: 1329'
Highest Point: 3887'
Average Elevation: 2492'
Grade Information
Max Uphill Grade: 15.5%
Max Downhill Grade: -10.3%
Avg Grade: 4.0%

The Diamondback
Just outside Marion, NC, The Diamondback - NC 226A - has more than 190 steep, climbing curves in just 12 miles. The temperatures cool as you climb the steep switchbacks looping almost 360 degrees. Runs of S-curves climb and twist sharply as they snake through lush green forest en route to the Blue Ridge Parkway just above Spruce Pine, North Carolina.
Total Distance :: 12 miles
Elevation Information
Lowest Point: 1396'
Highest Point: 3466'
Average Elevation: 2354'
Grade Information
Max Uphill Grade: 14.9%
Max Downhill Grade: -19.7%
Avg Grade: 3.7%

Websites:
The Diamondback Motorcycle & Sportscar Route
209 The Rattler

diamondback-map.jpg

Rattler.png

Rattler sign.jpg

If your going to be in that area, you must do 181 and NC 80. 181 is wide and fast, perfect for the busa. NC 80 is very tight and technical, it's right down below 226a on your map. I wouldn't mind catching up with you if I'm not working that weekend. I'll have to wait till that week to know for sure.

If your going to be in that area, you must do 181 and NC 80. 181 is wide and fast, perfect for the busa. NC 80 is very tight and technical, it's right down below 226a on your map. I wouldn't mind catching up with you if I'm not working that weekend. I'll have to wait till that week to know for sure.

Sound great! Shoot me a message with your phone number and I will give you a call when I am in the area. Can you recommend any place to stay, or stay away from?

I found 181 near Morgantown. Have you ran this road Table Rock RD runs besides 181.. Also found 221 that runs up into Moses State Memorial Park. Been doing a lot of reading about that area. Some awesome roads out that way!!

Table Rock Road Morgantown NC.jpg

221 is a pretty good road. You need to watch for gravel in some curves but the road itself is pretty good. We take it over to Blowing Rock to grab some pizza at Mellow Mushroom sometimes. I have never been on that Table Rock rd. Alot of those roads turn to gravel or are all gravel. I've rode with the locals for over 4 years and they never venture over that way. Piedmont rd at the bottom of 181 is good and old 18 on the other side of I-40 is good. The only problem with those roads is the heat, you come down the mountain and you lose that nice cool air. Looks like I might be off Friday, may head that way. I'll know first of next week.

221 is a pretty good road. You need to watch for gravel in some curves but the road itself is pretty good. We take it over to Blowing Rock to grab some pizza at Mellow Mushroom sometimes. I have never been on that Table Rock rd. Alot of those roads turn to gravel or are all gravel. I've rode with the locals for over 4 years and they never venture over that way. Piedmont rd at the bottom of 181 is good and old 18 on the other side of I-40 is good. The only problem with those roads is the heat, you come down the mountain and you lose that nice cool air. Looks like I might be off Friday, may head that way. I'll know first of next week.

Great information:thumbsup: I figured there may be some roads that turn into gravel doesnt show it on Google.. :banghead:
I may need someone that knows the area to hit some of the local roads.
As of the plans go I should be arriving either late Thursday afternoon or Friday.

Here is a quick video of about half of 181. I was leading my son up there for the first time this past Sat. I was taking it easy because he has only been riding about 2 weeks. Gives you an idea of the type of road.

side mount - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is NC 80 from the bottom to the top at the BRP. We really start cooking around the 9:30 mark. The top part of the road is known as the devil's staircase.

80 Devil's Staircase - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back