iphone-GPS

99'busa

Donating Member
Registered
Has anyone used the GPS APP for the iphone yet? I've tried the "free" gps apps but they aint worth more than I paid for it:laugh:

They have one thats 69.99 and is SUPPOSE to have all the regular features of say the Garmin but uses the iphone just as the hardware so all your really purchasing is the software which is why its only 70 bux.

On a 2nd. note: Has anyone mounted an iphone on their bike yet?

My idea is to mount it like a Garmin and somehow power it from an aux powr point on the bike. Either a cigarette lighter point or usb port.

i just use the maps app but it effin sucks. not a big fan of paying 70 bucks for an app either.

i just use the maps app but it effin sucks. not a big fan of paying 70 bucks for an app either.

the map will tell ya where your at but not where to go:laugh: The "FREE" gps app will show you where you want to go and where you are but NOT give directions let alone voice guided directions which is very handy on a bike:lol:

the maps app will give you directions but they are not voice guided. and you have to manually cycle through them. im looking to make an ipod mount with charger before my cross country trip. right now velcro is looking good lol.

I think my concern would be...

On the iPhone only one app at a time can run. So if I'm listening to GPS and the phone rings, I don't think it'll go back to the GPS automatically. Also, if listening to music, the GPS probably wouldn't know to shut it off, give instructions, return to music.

Buy a Nuvo, you'll be happier

Also keep in mind that the IPHONE screen is body heat activated so it is very difficult to use with riding gloves on!

On the iPhone only one app at a time can run. So if I'm listening to GPS and the phone rings, I don't think it'll go back to the GPS automatically. Also, if listening to music, the GPS probably wouldn't know to shut it off, give instructions, return to music.

Are you sure my dare phone can receive calls while in nav mode an you can use the music player also an the GPS an receive a call at the same time it prioritizes it for you. :dunno: why the i-phone wouldn't.

actually the app im lookin at specifically mentioned auto returning to gps after calls. Me..I dont listen to music very often on the bike. As of right NOW it seems like a perfect app for me BUT.... I gotta find out what I'm not concidering. Your right though..it's not as a perfect fit as another device but is also nice having your phone as your gps too???

Also keep in mind that the IPHONE screen is body heat activated so it is very difficult to use with riding gloves on!
true but would I need to touch it in gps mode??? with the program i already have it tracks me auto anyway so i dont have to scroll around. I'm just missing directions and voice guidance. I THINK thats all I'm missing anyway???

Iphone sucks ;)
I have stem mound for my t-mobile G1... I have a speedometer, GPS, Googlemaps and all free of charge.

But yes, a stem mound ... then get a bodyglove case for it and then some velcro from homedepot... really does the trick.

true but would I need to touch it in gps mode??? with the program i already have it tracks me auto anyway so i dont have to scroll around. I'm just missing directions and voice guidance. I THINK thats all I'm missing anyway???

Honestly I am not sure as I do not own an IPHONE. I just know when I used my buddy's IPHONE it would not respond with even thin MECHANIX gloves on.

No, but I'm gonna check that out though. I'd rather get a brand that I've heard of anyway. Thanks:beerchug:

No problem, if you end up going that route please let me know what you think about it. I've been debating going that route or just getting a dedicated GPS for the bike like a Zumo.

No problem, if you end up going that route please let me know what you think about it. I've been debating going that route or just getting a dedicated GPS for the bike like a Zumo.

I'll let ya know. I'm gonna do plenty of research:beerchug:

The Google maps in the iPhone work great with the GPS 3G version.

Anyone that thinks the iPhone sucks is either anti-Apple or never used an iPhone for any length of time, or has never used one and is lying. I tried almost every competing phone out there and the iPhone is better at everything that I use it for.

Anyone that thinks the iPhone sucks is either anti-Apple or never used an iPhone for any length of time, or has never used one and is lying. I tried almost every competing phone out there and the iPhone is better at everything that I use it for.

I agree and I use to hate Apple for some reason too. I was all about Microsoft (yeah I know) then I got a nano and loved how easy everything was to use. I then got a Macbook and it's been the best computer I've ever owned. The iPhone came out and after using a friends for a few minutes I just had to have one. I always had a smart phone or a PDA and a phone. It is so nice to have one device that does everything I need and want.

There's a reason why Apple products don't come with a manual and it's because they are so much easier to use you don't need one.

Completely agree. I NEVER cared about a phone for anything but making phone calls. I LOVE this thing. I upgraded to the 3G S for faster internet. It is so far superior to anything out there.

If you have a 3GS, go into maps
then hit the 'where am I' button on the lower left
now press it again
a "headlight" shows up showing you which direction you are facing. I love that feature. So helpful when I don't know whether to go left or right

Back