Interrupting our regularly scheduled program

Like, look dude!
Its changing colors and shape!

No dude, you took the brown acid......

JK
nice pics thanks for sharing.

Wow! no kiddin.  I had a 300 gallon reef tank when I lived in Jacksonville Florida.  I hardly ever watched TV.  The Navy felt they needed to send me to the Gulf and low and behold, my roomate failed to be able to keep any of it alive.  I cried when I returned but it really wasn't her fault.  Boy does this bring back memories.  I did buy a piece of coral with a Fire Worm in it.  I didn't want the worm and he killed a lot of my fish.  It took me weeks to catch him and kill him.  It was me against the worm and I finally won but man did he do damage.
OMG...I would cry!

Any pics of that 300g? That's the size I'd like to move up to...I've got a 120g now and I'd like even bigger...

What did you ever do with the tank?

I just gave my presentation to 21 very curious and talkative kids...all were under age 8 I think...talk about ENERGY! I'm exhausted from the experience!

Thought I'd resume with some more pics...

hard_coral8_moon.jpg

I've had a few of these brittle starfish...they're very amusing to own...

One trapped a file fish in a huge barnacle, then sucked the scales right off of him! I was devasted...that file fish would eat from my hand...
sad.gif

Another brittle I had started eating all of my snails, so he got tossed in the sump (filtration system under the tank) and I never saw him again...he might be under my bed!
laugh.gif

inverts_brittlestar2.jpg

Only a mother could love him...

A Dog Face fish...who came up with that name?!

fish_dogface.jpg

Lets see your tank!  We all want to see it.
I don't have any recent pics of it...my digi camera's not cooperating, so all I have to show you guys are shots that are already on this site somewhere...pretty much of the tank when I first set it up...it's changed tons from when these were taken...

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091728548 -->

1march_11th.JPG

Some fish I don't have anymore...killed the Coral Beauty (purple one) when we painted the living room, and I don't know what happened to the sweet lips (spotted one)...

Ignore the flash...I am NOT a professional photographer!

Jan_02_9.JPG

Here's what I hope to have one day...

Damn Busa's been sucking the funds from my pocket...
mad.gif

fulltank.jpg

what does it take to have a tank like that. I have always been impressed by them and always wanted one just never took the first step to get it goin.

Love the pics by the way.

Thank you.

Well, mostly it takes money, of which I no longer have...
tounge.gif

And commitment to keep up with everything. Water changes, buying salt, knowing what each of the creatures you've bought require in the way of food and vitamins. It doesn't have to be hard...if you stick to things that 1) live off of things in the tank, like my tangs, then you don't have to feed 'em, and 2) if you start buying specialty corals, stick to ones that all require the same additives...they all need calcium, but some require more and that's when you begin to lose track!

I had a 90gal years back, and I got very sick of toting buckets of water around to do water changes, so with this 120gal, my husband, being the designer/builder that he is, had a hole cut in the bottom of the tank, installed pipe and plumbed it in to our H2O system at home...when I do water changes now, I simply open a valve under the tank and dump gallons out in a matter of seconds! Then, pump the replacement salt water in...water changes take about 5 minutes now, and that's helped me heaps with upkeep!

To start a reef tank...
My tank was used and I picked it up for $400
Live rock (base for all reef tanks) $1000
Salt (in bulk) $80
Lights (metal halides and actinics/housing and bulbs) $700
Fans to cool lights $40
Plumbing under tank and sump (filter system) maybe $100
Protein Skimmer $150
R/O system (reverse osmosis - I filter my own water, then add salt) $170
UV filter (kills bad micro-organisms during filtration process) $125

Can't remember what else, but I think I had about $4000 in it by the time I got it all set up, and didn't have a single fish!

It doesn't have to be that pricey though...my tank is huge and it took a lot of live rock to establish it...

Back