Ride your own ride and don’t ride your ego...

Tached1300

Registered
I recall a group ride consisting of all of our regulars, it just so happens that for each guy that rides, his spouse/girlfriend rides her own bike as well. So it's usually 4 guys and 4 girls and every now and then some different guys may tag along or our other half may ride two-up with their fella.

On this day, only my friend's wife rode. So she was the only female. Well two guys decided to ride with us, none of us have ridden with one guy at all and the other guy had only ridden with one of us before. So we prepare to head up to some twisty roads to do our thing. Well to make a long story short the guy no one knew or had ridden with before was a BRAND new rider, had no permit or license, and did not tell anyone. He was riding a small Honda cruiser (shadow I think) but he was determined not to be out done by the only female rider in the group that day.

As you can read, several factors indicate trouble lies ahead for this guy. The only female rider happens to be the fastest female in our group and nips at the guys heels. Poor guy’s ego got him and he tried to judge his talents/skills off hers. Trying to out do her and keep up with her he went into a curve too hot, stood the bike up and veered down the enbankment into a ditch filled with water. (Classic rookie mistake) No serious injuries, but his nuts left a massive dent in the tank and he was covered in mud head to toe. Turns out the bike was borrowed not even his. His pride fully hurt he says a car crossed the yellow line, and he swerved to miss it, um What car? No car ever met us on that road.

I found out then that earlier at the gas station this guy had told my friend's wife that when we get to the curvy roads she should get behind him to avoid slowing him down. So after his wreck she apologized for sucking him into those curves lol

Now I will say this, had any of us known he had no experience there are things that we would’ve done to try to prevent this and keep things in check, but I actually met up with our group on the way so I hadn’t talked to anyone or even met this guy. I typically lead or run last in the sweep position and had I known I would’ve stayed back with him. Heck there are certain roads or routes I will avoid until I’ve had a chance to see how someone rides.

Here’s a pic from back in the day with my regular crew, we used to have a blast. I’m that ugly dude all the way on the left and my wife is in the purple jacket. The bald guy in all black was my wingman and can no longer ride due to an accident, he and I always rode together.

B1B7E416-08C4-4D4E-86BA-00811B32850B.jpeg

Agreed. I have been pushed to ride faster even as a new rider by some people I knew but I'm no idiot. Until you are comfortable do not attempt to follow others. It's better to be slower than to be dead. What kind of bike does the wife ride?

Agreed. I have been pushed to ride faster even as a new rider by some people I knew but I'm no idiot. Until you are comfortable do not attempt to follow others. It's better to be slower than to be dead. What kind of bike does the wife ride?
My wife is bikeless at the moment but she started on a Ninja 500, went to a Honda F4I, then to a SV 650. She’s figured out that it is easier to ride with me so she can sight see and let me do all of the work lol. We are saving up for her next bike now but not certain what it will be just yet. Actually we sold the Ninja 500 to her dad and he can no longer ride it so I thought about getting it back and she could share it with my son who now wants to learn to ride until she gets something else.

I rode with a new group , an over weight girl on a Honda 1000 lead . I passed a couple of guys trying to stay with her but backed off before I got in trouble knowing I was about at my limit. Found out later she raced and none of the guys could stay with her.

I recall a group ride consisting of all of our regulars, it just so happens that for each guy that rides, his spouse/girlfriend rides her own bike as well. So it's usually 4 guys and 4 girls and every now and then some different guys may tag along or our other half may ride two-up with their fella.

On this day, only my friend's wife rode. So she was the only female. Well two guys decided to ride with us, none of us have ridden with one guy at all and the other guy had only ridden with one of us before. So we prepare to head up to some twisty roads to do our thing. Well to make a long story short the guy no one knew or had ridden with before was a BRAND new rider, had no permit or license, and did not tell anyone. He was riding a small Honda cruiser (shadow I think) but he was determined not to be out done by the only female rider in the group that day.

As you can read, several factors indicate trouble lies ahead for this guy. The only female rider happens to be the fastest female in our group and nips at the guys heels. Poor guy’s ego got him and he tried to judge his talents/skills off hers. Trying to out do her and keep up with her he went into a curve too hot, stood the bike up and veered down the enbankment into a ditch filled with water. (Classic rookie mistake) No serious injuries, but his nuts left a massive dent in the tank and he was covered in mud head to toe. Turns out the bike was borrowed not even his. His pride fully hurt he says a car crossed the yellow line, and he swerved to miss it, um What car? No car ever met us on that road.

I found out then that earlier at the gas station this guy had told my friend's wife that when we get to the curvy roads she should get behind him to avoid slowing him down. So after his wreck she apologized for sucking him into those curves lol

Now I will say this, had any of us known he had no experience there are things that we would’ve done to try to prevent this and keep things in check, but I actually met up with our group on the way so I hadn’t talked to anyone or even met this guy. I typically lead or run last in the sweep position and had I known I would’ve stayed back with him. Heck there are certain roads or routes I will avoid until I’ve had a chance to see how someone rides.

Here’s a pic from back in the day with my regular crew, we used to have a blast. I’m that ugly dude all the way on the left and my wife is in the purple jacket. The bald guy in all black was my wingman and can no longer ride due to an accident, he and I always rode together.

View attachment 1604438

Looks like a good bunch of people to hang out with, sad your buddy can't ride with you....

I used to be the president of our bike club on base and if anyone new showed up to ride, I'd give him/her a short interview to ascertain what his/her skills are so I knew where to place them in the group.

We had a really varied group as well and had a gal who could really ride, she had a ZX6R and she could put that bike through it's paces and leave many behind but never did.

Looks like a good bunch of people to hang out with, sad your buddy can't ride with you....

I used to be the president of our bike club on base and if anyone new showed up to ride, I'd give him/her a short interview to ascertain what his/her skills are so I knew where to place them in the group.

We had a really varied group as well and had a gal who could really ride, she had a ZX6R and she could put that bike through it's paces and leave many behind but never did.
Yeah my buddy retired from the Army, his accident happened back in 2012, he’s had to date 23 surgeries and soon to be 24. He was following me on a casual pace ride we weren’t riding hard this day as my daughter was riding with me he was probably running 35 mph in this curve which has a gravel pull off area for cars. I don’t know if he fixated on something or what but he went wide then stood the bike up and off into the gravel he grabbed too much brake and flew over the front of the bike. I was going slow enough that I saw it all in my rear view mirror. His misfortune came from the fact that when he flew over the bike his ankle landed directly on a big ass boulder which shattered it to pieces he had on his Sidi boots too. Ironically he had wrecked in this exact same curve before and broke his collarbone so maybe there’s something about that curve for him. As we left the store I told the group “ok we are gonna take it easy on this next stretch it’s pretty technical and some of you have never been on it abd my buddy Steve said yeah I’ve wrecked on this road so take it easy and joked hell I’ll ride in the back. It’s been a life changing ordeal going from working full time to disability, he had several surgeries due to infections, unsuccessful ankle replacements etc.. they are about to try a new 3d ankle procedure at Duke Hospital but he’s at the point where he’d rather just amputate it but will give this last option a try. He’s a trooper though he coached basketball and still worked as much as possible between surgeries until recently. Now other parts of his body are having issues due to having to compensate for the ankle such as a recent slight tear of the Achilles in the “good leg” It sucks

I rode with a new group , an over weight girl on a Honda 1000 lead . I passed a couple of guys trying to stay with her but backed off before I got in trouble knowing I was about at my limit. Found out later she raced and none of the guys could stay with her.
I love a girl that can ride!

Yeah my buddy retired from the Army, his accident happened back in 2012, he’s had to date 23 surgeries and soon to be 24. He was following me on a casual pace ride we weren’t riding hard this day as my daughter was riding with me he was probably running 35 mph in this curve which has a gravel pull off area for cars. I don’t know if he fixated on something or what but he went wide then stood the bike up and off into the gravel he grabbed too much brake and flew over the front of the bike. I was going slow enough that I saw it all in my rear view mirror. His misfortune came from the fact that when he flew over the bike his ankle landed directly on a big ass boulder which shattered it to pieces he had on his Sidi boots too. Ironically he had wrecked in this exact same curve before and broke his collarbone so maybe there’s something about that curve for him. As we left the store I told the group “ok we are gonna take it easy on this next stretch it’s pretty technical and some of you have never been on it abd my buddy Steve said yeah I’ve wrecked on this road so take it easy and joked hell I’ll ride in the back. It’s been a life changing ordeal going from working full time to disability, he had several surgeries due to infections, unsuccessful ankle replacements etc.. they are about to try a new 3d ankle procedure at Duke Hospital but he’s at the point where he’d rather just amputate it but will give this last option a try. He’s a trooper though he coached basketball and still worked as much as possible between surgeries until recently. Now other parts of his body are having issues due to having to compensate for the ankle such as a recent slight tear of the Achilles in the “good leg” It sucks
I really hope this surgery takes...he was probably not over his last accident on that corner and just like you say, he fixated and all it takes is mere seconds to go down.

He's fortunate to have a friend like you to be in his corner...

I'm sorry to hear of your buddy's incident. Finding someone to pace off of and lead comfortably and pleasurably is as rare as finding a true soul mate. I've yet to find that person here in Missouri, so for the most part I ride alone.

We use to run a weekly ride
we split itnotthree groups First timers Casual quick and meat eaters
newcomers HAD to ride with first timers and it was a decent but leisurely pace
afar that you could mover to the usual quick and then if the ride leader for that thought you were a reasonable rider and capable of more speed you could ride with the go fast guys
Those guys were good very fast and took stupid chances. I rode with them once and said not for me
I never outride my safety angel

Hey Tached what part of N.C. are you located you mentioned your friend having surgery at Duke. I'm in Burlington

Back