Installed HIDs and gear indicator yestarday

mcoyote

Registered
The HIDs are 35w, 4k models from hidkits.com, the gear indicator from riderstation.com.

It was a little tricky finding room for the ballasts...they're mounted on either side of the centerline, just inside the air intakes. I'm ashamed to admit it but I just electric taped the heck out of them and found that they are pretty securely wedged in place once the cowl goes back on.

...Incidentally, isn't that the easiest piece of fairing removal there is? Take off the side panels, unscrew the mirrors, pry a couple of clips, and *yank* -- off it comes...

The bad news is that the right ballast is very close to the arc of the steering damper (in fact, I think it bonks it once in a while), so I'm going to have to go back in there again and try and come up with something. Anyway, these suckers are BRIGHT. Like D*MN BRIGHT.

There is little discernable delay when switching on the high beam, so it looks like I'll still be able to flash people once in a while ;) .

The provided wiring was not a perfect fit but was sufficient with a little electric tape and patience. The bulbs fit ok -- the high beam one is a little loose but it looks like it should stay in place for a while.

As for the gear indicator, I was really nervous cutting into the wiring harness leading to the dash, but the colors mentioned in the riderstation knowledgebase for newer 'Busas were the correct ones, thank goodness. This was the first time I'd soldered anything in about fifteen years, but everything worked afterwards, so I can't complain too much.

I didn't have enough time to get the gearbox trained before I had to get my son from the baby sitter -- there isn't a long, straight piece of road near enough to where I live, but in the process of trying I discovered that (a) I can take off in 5th gear, and (b) the indicator wants about 4-5k RPM before I recognizes a gear, as opposed to the 2-3k mentioned in the docs.

I should have the gear indicator trained tomorrow morning, and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Hey mcoyote,

Might want to try using some rear stands or something, might make training it easier....I got a set, front and rear from handy industries for $99. These things are perfect for the busa (with a stock tire) and are great quality.

Also, post some pics for us
smile.gif
I'd love to see what you have going on and would really love to see some night time shots of the new HID bulbs.
kickass.gif

Trained gear indicator on a stretch of route 50 successfully. Works fine, except at low RPMs (below 2k), when it gets a little confused. Recommended -- I have it mounted such that I can read it through the top of the windscreen.

Just take a dremel tool to the piece (HID inveter)thatz hitting your damper when you turn. Been there done that and it worked out fine for me. Let a brotha know how it workz out for ya.

Keep u'r kneez in the breeze Pimp!

Back