Innovative vs Wego vs Zeitronix

crawler

Registered
Alright boys and girls, I'm looking for opinions from individuals or shops that have had experience with the various data logging systems out there.

What I'm looking for is - Wideband AFR, RPM, TPS (Boost in the future, Gear position or speed is nice as well). Also want on board logging without strapping computer to bike and ability to see AFR while riding or see peak after riding so I can see if I have any major issues going on while out.

I'm looking at full Innovative setup (DL32, LC1, XD-16), Innovative setup with DashDaq, Wego III (although I think I need a laptop for logging), Wego IV, Zeitronix with DashDaq.

I'm looking to use this for tuning mostly. I'm running ECU editor and will be making changes to my maps that way. I know at one point Petrik was trying to interface the Innovative stuff to load directly in.

So let’s hear it guys. I'm looking for experience with these systems and what you feel the strong points and weak points are for each. Price is a factor to some degree. If I can get in "cheap" enough, I'll order up now, otherwise I'll have to put it off a little while. Also, since my tuning is amateur on Busas (my tuning experience is in diesel engines mostly), I will be looking for a good tuner to possible e-mail logs and maps back and forth with.

If this thread goes well, my hope is that many of the busa guys could start using the same system or couple of systems and get a few tuners working on the mail out and tune on road process. If we could do that, then the tuners could have tons of very close base maps for multiple combinations of parts from all over the country. Therefore making for better customer experiences and great running combos.

I've done the same thing in the diesel world with many of my guys in my circle of competition and the results have been great.

I believe that having hours or even a days worth of riding info with thousands of combos of TPS, RPM, Speed, etc... will make for some bad boy tunes for all of us to benefit from.

Thank You to everybody that contributes.

Last edited:
I have been using innovate loggers for 10 years, and log every pass down the track. They have always worked flawlessly for me. BUT, The only thing that I think could be substantially improved is the aquisition speed. With an 85 mS aquisition rate, I only get about 8 data points in second gear. Its a great tuning tool, but the electronics are not as fast as they should be. On a fast bike, you end up guessing if the lean or rich spot you are trying to figure out really is at 10k, or possibly a bit earlier at only 9500 rpm. I don't think the new innovate loggers are any faster than the old. They both aquire about 12 points per second. Is the Wego any faster?

I would focus on logging capabilites and don't even bother with a display. You're not likely going to be live adjustments interpreted on live data. focus on memory, logging capacity, max storage rate, sampling frequency, number of analog, digital, CAN, CAN bridge, USB comm port, also if you ever want to record EGT when you go turbo you need a system that can handle them as well.

I bought a middle tier logging system which I've now almost out grown. Alot of the "privatier" systems are not upgradable so you really have to plan ahead. Buy the one with the most bells and whistles that you can aford. Hopefully you can get it all as a complete kit with sensors and loom. There are loggers that are more module in design that are more flexible and can handle up grades but most only allotw an increase in memory capacity. If your sampling rate was low to begin with you're gonna be stuck with that.

What Draco mentioned is VERY important. If your sampling frquencey is to low then you've got to make assumptions.

Here's a link which will get you to alot of the companies that produce dataloggers. There's tons of information on each of their sites.

Racing Data Logger & Dash Display Suppliers

I forgot about software too. Good software is a plus. It's not critical but it's a nice to have. Something that you can create math cahnnels is a big plus so it records the values with the rest of the data.

Last edited:
I would focus on logging capabilites and don't even bother with a display. .

Yea, displays aren't very useful during a run. I have an XD16 that is used primarily for start/stopping a log session, and for erasing memory. Its set up to read A/F dynamically, but I don't use it to read live readings.

A couple of other things to consider. The heater on the O2 sensor is a real power hog. At the end of a logging session, it can take 2-3 minutes to download to your PC if you use a serial connection. Then another 2 -3 minutes to flash the ECU using ECU editor. Thats 5-6 minutes of leaving the key on with the heater cranking away. It strains the battery, and bump starting the Busa is a tedious habit. If you do use ECU editor, you may consider a remote switch to turn your logger off while your flashing. Also, if you just transfer the flash to your PC instead of downloading, that will save on battery as well. In general, the Logger can't be left on for more than 10 minutes without having a starting problem, regardless of manufacturer because of the heated O2.

i don't intend to watch my guage or monitor. Just nice to have a peak recall so I can check it when on the street and don't have a comp available.

I would definately wire it to be switched on and not key on power. Very good points for anyone reading.

I haven't used any of the other brands but like my Innovate LC-1, DL-32, XD-16 setup so far. Haven't had a lot of time to play with everything and really get the bike where I'd like but so far I am having more problems with the ECU stuff than the logger... :(

Came up with a new option. Zeitronix zt-2 logger plus pocketlogger software and a palm os3.0-4.2 device for storage and review.

Check it out www.pocket logger.com

Can get in the whole deal under 450. Not as cool as the dash daq but pretty slick. Makes for a tough decision on my end. Going to research it a bit. I'm thinking the 250-300(350 if u wait for a deal on the palm) saved could go a lot of other places.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, I jumped off and did a Zeitronix zt-2, zeitronix to PDA cable, pocketlogger software, and Palm M5XX. All parts new and shipped for right at $400. If it doesn't do what I want, I'll sell it or put it in my car. After digging around it seems to be a pretty good route. Once I have a chance to install and run it a while, I'll let you guys know how it works out.

For now I plan to run- AFR, TPS, RPM, nitrous activation, and possibly EGT as I have probes already.
Posted via Mobile Device

it's setup for thermocouples? how many can it support?

As far as I'm aware, only one unfortunately. If I were getting serious then I'd look at rpm perf out of OKC. I run his stuff on my diesel drag truck. I have every cylinder plus post turbo egt. But the price and complexity goes up.
Posted via Mobile Device

All my toys are in, hopefully in the next day or two I'll have time to get everything hooked up and running.

7ad2c83c.jpg

Posted via Mobile Device

Got it up and running last night. Only have 45 minutes in it not including welting the exhaust bung. Which was only an hour, including deciding on placement as well as drilling, welding, unistall/reinstall of pipe.

c73649a7.jpg

Posted via Mobile Device

Bosch o2 sensor installed. I had a few concerns about placement but it seems to be getting clean readings so far.

52d02f91.jpg

Posted via Mobile Device

Back