In the market for my first busa - going to look at an '08

Last edited:
Either Gen will be a great choice , just have to go the condition , mileage and history . Gen 2 has the better motor for leaving standard , the Gen 1 better in bodywork looks , I agree , but all subjective .
As for @Sandow , well I guess I'm potentially a bit more banged up from past injury than him , I also top 275lb with ride gear , and am 6'4" , and I found my standard Gen 2 pretty uncomfortable . I have changed my Busa to be now , pretty comfortable , actually about even with my ZX14R , which is great , unchanged , except that the footpeg height is high standard .

I push my 2011 through the curvy mountain roads rather hard. It has the stock Tokico calipers with EBC HH pads. Works great for me.
The stock tokicos setup with the Suzuki pump they mated them to , sadly lack feel and therefore braking feedback , but hey , they will stop you .
If you come from a bike with good brake setup , say even you have ridden any recent 1000cc bike , then the Busa's are going to feel very vague , lack any rider feedback , and can leave one wondering why you would fit this setup on the 2008 fastest production motorcycle . The naked Bking has a much better standard setup , for example . You can pot around and survive no doubt on the stock setup , but if you really want a truly great brake setup on your Busa , you will have to modify swapout a few things .
I rode a lot of miles in hills with the stock setup , yes they stop , but pretty uninspiring . In my experience , most of a good ride in flowing hills roads are smooth riding with minimal braking , but if you need to brake hard for whatever reason , then the more feel you got the better .

The stock tokicos setup with the Suzuki pump they mated them to , sadly lack feel and therefore braking feedback , but hey , they will stop you .
If you come from a bike with good brake setup , say even you have ridden any recent 1000cc bike , then the Busa's are going to feel very vague , lack any rider feedback , and can leave one wondering

Funny you mention that. I came from a 1000RR with a shittillion of HRC parts. The braking even in stock form on that bike makes the Busa brakes pale in comparison. Hence my slow ( as money allows ) build up to better brakes.

@c10 just for his post above mine lol

Hey everyone,

In the market for my first busa. had many bikes over the years - v strom 1000, gsxr 1000, concours 14 etc. still havnt found the perfect bike ( will we ever?)

anyway this busa is an '08 with 37,000 km or 23,000 miles. looks to be stock unmolested and in decent shape.

I'm totally unfamiliar with these bikes - are there any busa related things I should be looking out for?

Im 6'1 and 200 lbs. and want to tour / have fun. I have heard the zx14 is more comfortable but the busa seems to be a better value im my area (cost is a factor).

Thanks for any advice.

Did you buy it yet????

We are all behind you buying it.

At those KMs, you will have no worries, these bikes can rack up the kms.

Just 'cause you're loved....

@c10 "oh God look at that fugly fkr "

when-youre-both-ugly-but-you-make-it-work-magritte-31600640.png

Did you buy it yet????

We are all behind you buying it.

At those KMs, you will have no worries, these bikes can rack up the kms.

thanks everyone for all the input. this really is a great forum!

I'm going to look at it tomorrow :D. super excited.

one thing that hasn't been talked about is valves. I don't know if they have been checked or not. what is the recommended interval? 25000km or 15k miles?

also it looks 100% stock. are the stock pipes really lame? im generally ok with quiet bikes.... i don't want people to know when im WOT :D

one thing that hasn't been talked about is valves. I don't know if they have been checked or not. what is the recommended interval? 25000km or 15k miles?

also it looks 100% stock. are the stock pipes really lame? im generally ok with quiet bikes.... i don't want people to know when im WOT :D
Assuming the bike was well maintained valves are probably still in spec. They are easy to have a tech check.

Stock pipes are restrictive and heavy...they are stock pipes afterall. If you go with an aftermarket exhaust, you will immediately notice the difference the first time you take it off the side stand.

I personally can't recall when valve clearance checks are but I do know all the Suzuki bikes I have ever owned never needed any valve adjustments when I checked them. Mine has 43,000kms on it and it is whisper quiet in the upper end.

Go snap that bike up!

Can any improvement in the brakes be had from a rotor/pad upgrade ? or not worth it?

also are there any pdf factory service manuals floating around?

Can any improvement in the brakes be had from a rotor/pad upgrade ? or not worth it?

Yes, EBC HH pads and braided SS brake lines help quite a bit but just keep this in mind, the Hayabusa is (the) Uber sports touring machine and has been since 1999 and for the vast vast majority of riders, the brakes are quite adequate.

Any HH scintered pad , doesn't have to be ebc , braided lines will help , eventually you might want to change the master cylinder for cheapish good R1 or zx14 pump .
Just get the bike first , ride it for awhile , be careful getting to know it and go from there mate .

Any HH scintered pad , doesn't have to be ebc , braided lines will help , eventually you might want to change the master cylinder for cheapish good R1 or zx14 pump .
Just get the bike first , ride it for awhile , be careful getting to know it and go from there mate .
I agree with Toad, get it and just ride it for awhile then you will begin to know what mods you want to do to fit your intended usage and personality! Of course do any needed maintenance though.

Back