I'm pretty freaked out right now

There is only a small group of people there even trying to complete the course. You have already done more than most people preparing for it. Have fun and suck up the rough spots...if it were easy more people would do it. Have a good ride.

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

This pic would be called, Omaha to Mount Evans in 2 days. There just a no air up above 9000 feet.

Good Luck Bro. Between you, Semi, BusaPebbles and me we should bring road bikes to the next Bash.

My picture was taken by BP at the 1/2 way point of the Seagull Century last year. Cheers.

IMG_2404.jpg

Great to see other cyclists on the org! I'll post when it's over BTW.
Again, thanks for all the awesome comments.....Doyle

I sit in a little one person cottage writing this on my laptop.....I'm in the beautiful Colorado town of Estes Park, next to the Fall River.
Some of my org buds know that I've been bicycle training for almost two years now, basically culminating in a 500 mile, 7 day test starting tomorrow. A giant loop over 11 mountain passes with hundreds of very conditioned bicycle riders. Yesterday I drove 1/2 way up then got on my bicycle and pedaled up to the 12,180 ft. summit (to see how I would do in real altitude).
At 11,750 ft. a bicyclist was 1/8th mile in front of me....a 50 kt wind gust hit him and blew him off his bike, face plant onto asphault then off the road onto rocks. I arrived 30 seconds later and rendered first aid, got the Ranger, etc. He had a broken hip, road rash and maybe broken nose.
When paramedics arrived, I left and rode into this amazing wind. I must say, it was more powerful than any wind I had been in before BUT I stayed on the bike and made it because of my motorcycle abilities. I just think dirt bike riding, track riding and all riding is an amazing asset when demands are made on a bicycle.
Anyways, it snowed up there today! This is not 500 miles across Kansas or Nebraska, it's the Rockies! I can't believe the long steep grades and weather I'll be dealing with in the next 8 days! Wish me luck, I'm bringing a camera....I look over at my skinny little bicycle in my room and think, "this ain't no Busa!"

64 years old and 215 pounds, I look at the other entrants, 30 year olds, 175 pound studs, I must be freeking crazy. Doyle

You are crazy imho but this is way friggin cool. I forgot about this and am only about 35-40 mins away and would have come up and given you some .Org support. We go to Estes often seeing as the roads are so awesome for riding. Also a good friend of my moms is doing this same ride with you, crazy i tell you.

If this is ending in Estes and would like a victory drink let me know i will come up and get you one. :beerchug: man and good luck, be safe.

You are crazy imho but this is way friggin cool. I forgot about this and am only about 35-40 mins away and would have come up and given you some .Org support. We go to Estes often seeing as the roads are so awesome for riding. Also a good friend of my moms is doing this same ride with you, crazy i tell you.

If this is ending in Estes and would like a victory drink let me know i will come up and get you one. :beerchug: man and good luck, be safe.

Ditto to all the above, with the exception of one of my mom's friends bein involved :p.

This one's for you, Doyle. Again, good luck!!!!!:cheerleader::cheerleader:
- ‪Christopher Cross - Ride Like the Wind‬‏[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Best of luck and remember they may weigh 175, and you weigh 210 so you have the advantage going down the hills... ;)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

And don't get too wrapped up in whooping those youngins and forget about staying safe yourself! :beerchug:

I sit in a little one person cottage writing this on my laptop.....I'm in the beautiful Colorado town of Estes Park, next to the Fall River.
Some of my org buds know that I've been bicycle training for almost two years now, basically culminating in a 500 mile, 7 day test starting tomorrow. A giant loop over 11 mountain passes with hundreds of very conditioned bicycle riders. Yesterday I drove 1/2 way up then got on my bicycle and pedaled up to the 12,180 ft. summit (to see how I would do in real altitude).
At 11,750 ft. a bicyclist was 1/8th mile in front of me....a 50 kt wind gust hit him and blew him off his bike, face plant onto asphault then off the road onto rocks. I arrived 30 seconds later and rendered first aid, got the Ranger, etc. He had a broken hip, road rash and maybe broken nose.
When paramedics arrived, I left and rode into this amazing wind. I must say, it was more powerful than any wind I had been in before BUT I stayed on the bike and made it because of my motorcycle abilities. I just think dirt bike riding, track riding and all riding is an amazing asset when demands are made on a bicycle.
Anyways, it snowed up there today! This is not 500 miles across Kansas or Nebraska, it's the Rockies! I can't believe the long steep grades and weather I'll be dealing with in the next 8 days! Wish me luck, I'm bringing a camera....I look over at my skinny little bicycle in my room and think, "this ain't no Busa!"

64 years old and 215 pounds, I look at the other entrants, 30 year olds, 175 pound studs, I must be freeking crazy. Doyle

Enjoy and be safe. Remember, climbing those mountains are easy, provided your pace is within your comfort level. Fold a light cycling rain jacket in your cycling jersey pocket, once you are through the clouds and you are looking down on them from the top, the descent can get real cold up there, The jacket solves the problem. I use to race in Italy, last time was in the later 90's, it is a tremendoes sport and takes a lot of dedicated training. Good job!!!

So very cool! ( And cool you could be there for the unfortunate rider!! ) Good luck through out your time there. Looking forward to some neat pics! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

If you don`t do it you may wonder for the rest of your life what may have been. If it freaks you out, only you can decide what to do. Good luck.

So awesome!! Please keep us posted and I wish you the best of luck! After reading that, this isn't for the faint at heart and riding Busas doesn't look so dangerous anymore :laugh:

Via DROID X

I will say if you were at 11,750 ft, pedaling uphill, went an 1/8 mile in 30 seconds, you are a contender for sure. I think the youngsters are looking at you thinking the same thing......Plus your sanity, or lack of, is kinda irrelevant. Good luck and you have the potential to win! Wouldn't that be awesome??? :cheerleader:

Back