Update, 530 miles in 8 days (bicycle)

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
Well I did it! Estes Park (twice at 12,180 ft each), Rabbit Ears Pass, Milner Pass, Boulder Pass, Vail Pass, Loveland Pass, all 9,000 to 12,000 ft., and thousands of steep mountain roads in between......530 miles of it, sleeping in a tent, maintaining the bicycle (really important to insure competence/precision at 50 mph with 200 lb rider), undergtoing everything from a blizzard to constant vibration with 120 psi tires over many days, and those relentless steep uphills, it's over!

OMG, dozens of Colorado Highway Patrol motorcycle officers actually coned off many miles of Innerstate 70 (#2 lane) and I got up to 53 mph! Thank you to my Hayabusa for me being familiar with speed, as I dove into tight corners and tucked on the straights, I passed many bicyclists thinking of my motorcycle skills...please dont think I'm bragging, I just want to share my epic experience with my org folks! I rode on so many twisties, I can't wait to return on the Busa, also amazing towns with great outdoor coffee shops, yikes Colorado is amazing.
When I get home to Reno in a couple of weeks, I'll post the pics I have, in the meantime, some more riding in Southern Colorado (got a motorcycle/bicycle bud there) before I return home.
Till later, Doyle

NICE!! Thats impressive work. I put in 20 today and felt good...not even a dent compared to what you did.

Interested in what you were on and the set up. (i.e. compact double or did you have a triple for the climbs)

YEAH MAN!!!! CONGRATS!!!! :cheerleader::cheerleader:

No bragging, that is being proud, happy, and knowing YOU DID IT. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

No doubt. No what if? Wonder if I had tried? Woulda, coulda, shoulda, is out the window. You will always remember this joyous experience.

Congratulations on you achievement.

I cannot imagine 50mph on skinny little bicycle tires! Sounds like an incredible journey. I knew and you knew you could do it.
Bet them young whippersnappers were like :wtf: did that F.O.G just pass me? :laugh:

Congrats :beerchug:

congrats on your successful completion of the course :beerchug: that had to have been a great time! now, get some rest :thumbsup:

That's so awesome!!!!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::cheerleader:

I knew you're gonna Ride Like The Wind.:thumbsup::beerchug:

Congrats!!!!!:cheerleader:

I'm very impressed. You're an inspiration to us.:beerchug:

OK, here's some answers! I'm 64 years old and 207 lbs (now!), I have ridden an average of 145 miles a week for over a year, I have a high end carbon fiber bike (Pinerrelo) but I chose to build an aluminum bike with c/f forks and 30 speeds (triple front chainrings). It gave me the ability to pedal at high speeds(very high 53ft/11rear spkts) AND spin on plus 9% grades, I simply weigh too much to limit my spinning ability with limited gear choices (I know it works fine for lighter/younger riders but not for me).
The riders that would pass me in the "steeps" are usually 20 something, 165 lb studs, racers, running hard in a paceline, I plan on loosing another THIRTY pounds (I'd be 185)then practice climbing like an animal. The great thing was when we hit a radical downhill, I could even decend faster than them, especially the twisties, diving inside with knee out, it was so fun! I kept my grey goatee on purpose, to display being a FOG!
I think that answers everything, oh yeah, my bicycle, including water, tools, electronics, etc. weighs in at only 25.6 pounds, probably 18.8 unloaded. Doyle

OK, here's some answers! I'm 64 years old and 207 lbs (now!), I have ridden an average of 145 miles a week for over a year, I have a high end carbon fiber bike (Pinerrelo) but I chose to build an aluminum bike with c/f forks and 30 speeds (triple front chainrings). It gave me the ability to pedal at high speeds(very high 53ft/11rear spkts) AND spin on plus 9% grades, I simply weigh too much to limit my spinning ability with limited gear choices (I know it works fine for lighter/younger riders but not for me).
The riders that would pass me in the "steeps" are usually 20 something, 165 lb studs, racers, running hard in a paceline, I plan on loosing another THIRTY pounds (I'd be 185)then practice climbing like an animal. The great thing was when we hit a radical downhill, I could even decend faster than them, especially the twisties, diving inside with knee out, it was so fun! I kept my grey goatee on purpose, to display being a FOG!
I think that answers everything, oh yeah, my bicycle, including water, tools, electronics, etc. weighs in at only 25.6 pounds, probably 18.8 unloaded. Doyle

Okay. I'm more impressed now!

Like I have said before. Webster's dictionary has a Picture of Doyle next to the Word MAN !!!:bowdown:

That is awesome Doyle, Colorado is amazing.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Back