Does anyone stick to a gym workout schedule?

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
For over two years I've averaged 130 miles weekly on my bicycle but for the last couple of months on the off riding days (every other day) I've been doing a pretty comprehensive workout...mostly freeweights and some machines. Dumbell flys, curls, military press, bench press, pulldowns, tricep pulldowns and crunch machine....all 3 sets of 12-14 reps.(except more on crunchs). Is that similar to anyones routine? I really feel like it's making a difference. Because of bicycling, I don't really have a need to do any legwork.

5 to 6 days a week all free weights no cardio right now. I really enjoy chest and shoulder work the best. I did bench 405 last week for 1 rep and 365 for 4, which sounds good but I ve been lifting since I was 18 so its no big deal. I do a local hike of called 1000 Steps after work a couple times a week during daylight savings time. It really helps me knock the "winter coat" of fat off. But cardio kills my power in the gym and I hate that.

Just hit the big FIVE OH and happy to say I am in the best shape ever (32-in waist, 180 lbs, 70-in tall). Current regimen is cardio 4-5 times a week, HR @ 75% of MHR or greater x 30 min (usually 500 cal burned/4 miles). Hope to start/include circuit training soon.
P.S. In the Navy, we get bodyfat and fitness tests twice a year (this directly impacts our careers: promotion and retention)....so SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT.

Good stuff guys! I just got back from the gym and had an intense workout. Lately I've been doing the whole stack on tricep pulldowns and after the third full set (12 reps each) continue with 2 plates less each additional set until exhaustion, yeah baby, hurts so good! Another thing, you know I've noticed I don't tire as much on trackdays when in shape. The mighty Hayabusa needs a partner with strength when you dance with her!

Anyways, good to hear Busa guys are in the gym! Raydog

NM1U8114.jpg

I'm off working out for now since mcl is giving me trouble again. I thought I had built up enough muscle so that I would not have to wear my knee brace but not the case and hurt it again. When I was working out it was 6 days a week. Monday chest and back, Tuesday bicep, tricep, forearm, and shoulder, Wednesday legs and abs, then repeat, rest on Sunday. I would alternate days between running 3 miles and sprints. When I get back to working out I plan on trying working out every muscle just once a week and see how that goes.

I'm off working out for now since mcl is giving me trouble again. I thought I had built up enough muscle so that I would not have to wear my knee brace but not the case and hurt it again. When I was working out it was 6 days a week. Monday chest and back, Tuesday bicep, tricep, forearm, and shoulder, Wednesday legs and abs, then repeat, rest on Sunday. I would alternate days between running 3 miles and sprints. When I get back to working out I plan on trying working out every muscle just once a week and see how that goes.

I bet if you laid off sprints you mcl could have a rest for healing time, mayb e even no jogging at all for a month or so (but keep walking).

I bet if you laid off sprints you mcl could have a rest for healing time, mayb e even no jogging at all for a month or so (but keep walking).
Thanks for the advice! It will be a long time before I am able to do sprints again. I'm off all leg workouts and running for a while. I have to wear my brace just to walk around campus. I really hate that I have to take the elevator up 2 flights of stairs but I can't put that kind of weight on it. I guess I will never be able to ditch the brace.:banghead:

Thanks for the advice! It will be a long time before I am able to do sprints again. I'm off all leg workouts and running for a while. I have to wear my brace just to walk around campus. I really hate that I have to take the elevator up 2 flights of stairs but I can't put that kind of weight on it. I guess I will never be able to ditch the brace.:banghead:

Just know they are doing miracles with knee/joint surgury. I actually blew out acl, mcl and maniscus all at one time (ski accident at 35 mph) about 12 years ago and now my surgical knee is better than the natural one! Good luck healing bro.

I dedicated a good 10 years to bodybuilding and competing.I gave most of it up because my wife wanted to have kids.So now I just stick to heavy lifting minimal cardio.I am 200, 5"8 32 inch waist and pretty lean still.Its tough to have a family, full time job, a wife and a side business let alone find time to lift, time to ride the street and dirt and take care of a house.I commend any one who has the time and dedication to keeping in shape.

I just picked up insanity, and starting it Monday after my morning workout. Been working out 20 years 5 days a week. I usually hit the gym early when it's empty about 5:30AM for 60-90 minutes depending on the body parts I am training. Currently training 2 body parts daily, 4 sets of 8-15 reps per body part followed by 300-500 crunches and 30 minutes if cardio. In addition 3 nights a week I train Krav Maga, currently level 4 preparing for lever 5 test (8 hours).... I can ring my shirt out after every class. Currently 6'0, 225, 36-38 inch waist.

Being in shape is one of the many blessings Lamb has!

3 days a week. Sometimes 4. Lamb is a true ectomorph so the muscle never really shows. Its great being in shape!!

IS not as much cardio as insanity. but, its a good 90 day program. I've done it twice in the past 2 years with great results. I dont have time to do it. but, still try to workout at least 30 mins. 5-6 days a week!!
What is it? I have "Insanity" is it like that?

IS not as much cardio as insanity. but, its a good 90 day program. I've done it twice in the past 2 years with great results. I dont have time to do it. but, still try to workout at least 30 mins. 5-6 days a week!!

Got it...thank you.

Back