Does anyone see the parallel between motorcycling and snowboarding?

IG.

Registered
When it's cold and snows, all I can do is pet her on the back, move by a couple of inches so that tires don't develop a flat spot, maybe once in a while open garage door and fire her up for a few minutes - just to exercise the gaskets (LOL), and get that feeling, you know.

I've been skiing (downhill) since I was a kid, but some years ago got really bored, and decided to learn to snowboard. I am a slow learner. Combined with rare outings to the mountains, it took me a few years to get past beginner level, and start to really enjoying snowboarding.

I recently realized that I am doing a lot of things wrong, and want to fix them, as well as to learn riding in both directions (switch), and after that learn some simple buttering tricks...

I find snowboarding to have so many similarities to riding a bike!

1. Single track vehicle.
  2. Counter steering to activate a turn, then just staying there until next turn, and without any steering input.
  3. Your legs are your suspension, especially if it gets bumpy.
  4. Body position plays significant role, even more so when riding a bike.
  5. And the most important thing: primal feeling of freedom of movement; experiencing 3-dimensional space.
  6. Almost forgot: you don't have to be a pro to slide your rear all day long, LOL.
Coupled with nice weather, it's pretty positive experience. If only I didn't have to drive 2 hours one way, LOL

What do you guys think? Share your stories.

Last edited:
Yep, makes sense. I am eyeing jet skiing, but not there yet. Mostly day dreaming when walking in the marina near me, and seeing guys having fun. I've ridden on jet skies a couple of times while on vacations. My concern is that I will get bored after a few rides.

Be great to know , as in we dont get snow where I live , but if I could , I reckon I'd have a great time messin around learning to solo leg ski and also ride the belt tracked fast snow ski thingy .. But I have Jet SKI on water , namely Berry Springs NT Australia , hired a couple of 550 things , were not fast but got it going , then highsided twice , and I mean airbourne and thrown , I was 138kg then naked (2003) , and it took me 10 minutes each time to climb back on ... Found out the bastard owners of the beautiful waterway had a croc trap setup , out of sight tho , because a sizable one was said to be hanging aound....That croc might of had a go at me I was in the water that long... , but he might have thought ol'toad was a giant poisonous cane toad lol .

I saw something interesting one day out on a ride around a nearby lake. Two very heavy people were tooling around on a jet ski. One sharp ‘corner’ to many threw them both in the lake. Both made it back to the machine but try as they might, they couldn’t get back onto it. Over and over they tried and finally the man got on but not the woman. Again, both were way over 200 pounds, 250+ even. Luckily they were fairly close to the shore so she held onto it as he idled it towards the beach. Took awhile. Made me think, what if they’d been way out in the middle of the lake? What if that happened to me and I couldn’t pull myself back onto it? Maybe I’ll stay on motorcycles.

I saw something interesting one day out on a ride around a nearby lake. Two very heavy people were tooling around on a jet ski. One sharp ‘corner’ to many threw them both in the lake. Both made it back to the machine but try as they might, they couldn’t get back onto it. Over and over they tried and finally the man got on but not the woman. Again, both were way over 200 pounds, 250+ even. Luckily they were fairly close to the shore so she held onto it as he idled it towards the beach. Took awhile. Made me think, what if they’d been way out in the middle of the lake? What if that happened to me and I couldn’t pull myself back onto it? Maybe I’ll stay on motorcycles.
I was climbing up on a jet ski pointing at the sky in murky brown , deep water . My sister in law and the fella we hired them off was watching the whole (fascinating) slugardy display , and she said he kept saying I would never get back on , but I showed em .... twice .:)

I'd say the closest winter sport to motorcycling is snowmobiling....

Some of those snowmobiles would rival a Hayabusa for performance.

One thing that struck me as kind of funny is I know a guy who is a big Harley lover who rides a Ski Doo 1200 turbo with something like 220 hp....most of the trails here are 50 kms/hr so I wonder how much fun that would be.....especially that any violations on a snowmobile transfer directly to your car license......

Awesome Like A Boss GIF by Red Bull

dirt bikes & quads rule in wet *

View attachment 1676631
dirt bikes & quads rule in wet *
But they suck in 3 feet of snow....been there, tried that.....

One of these is the way to go..

I went snowboarding a few times, years ago, and it was alot of fun.
I never claimed to be any good at it, but I didn't fall either...more like straight down the slope in a high speed tuck, lol
(I also had my discman with headphones...for time period perspective, lol)
It felt alot like skateboarding to me, which I was good at(just skating around and steep hills, but no tricks), and the balance and movements are very similiar.
Compared to motorcycling, I don't know, but a similiar thrill in terms of speed and open air.
I never had any intrest to ski, I will pass on those kinds of injuries.
At 46...I still enjoy sledding, 4wheelers, and 4wd trucks playing in the snow...that is the extent of my winter sports at this point, lol.
As for jetskis, one of my best friends has had a few, and I've gotten to ride them all.
On a lake too, I've never been on one in the ocean.
No crocs or creatures waiting to eat you, but a log floating just under the surface can ruin your day in a hurry, otherwise, there aren't really any hazards.
A Seadoo 3 seater, supercharged 1500cc 3 cylinder will rocket to 60, and then run on to the low 70's quickly (by it's speedometer), but, it's big, so it's very smooth, even through wakes.
The trim can be adjusted on most of them so that they are very straight, or they jump up repeatedly.
He had a 1999 Seadoo 1000cc 2 cylinder, 2-stroke(not a standup) that Seadoo said would do 63mph, which I belive, and it got there quickly.
2 people could ride it easy, but it felt alot like a motorcycle, as if you stopped, or went slow and didn't balance, it would roll over...which I found out just after first getting on it, lmao
That one leaned like a motorcycle too
Trying to roll it over And get on, wasn't the easiest thing to do.
I've never ridden a snowmobile either, but would like to try to skim a pond on one.
But, I'll just stay out of the water, and the cold weather...and stick to motorcycles.

I've never ridden a snowmobile either, but would like to try to skim a pond on one.
But, I'll just stay out of the water, and the cold weather...and stick to motorcycles.
I've ridden a snowmobile ever since I had to stand on the seat to see through the windshield...often times my snowmobile suit would get sucked into the carb (open velocity stack carbs sitting right in front of you in those days).

I've seemed to always have one until a few years ago when the regulations took all the fun out of owning one..
I got my fix by teaching courses on them in the military we called them (Land Over Snow Vehicles LOSV) and after a month of that, I'd be so sick and tired of seeing them I would never want to own one. But it was fun for a while.

The last powerful sled I rode was a Ski-Doo Mach Z 1000cc two stroke which was rated at 168hp...it was quite a handful....

I've ridden a snowmobile ever since I had to stand on the seat to see through the windshield...often times my snowmobile suit would get sucked into the carb (open velocity stack carbs sitting right in front of you in those days).

I've seemed to always have one until a few years ago when the regulations took all the fun out of owning one..
I got my fix by teaching courses on them in the military we called them (Land Over Snow Vehicles LOSV) and after a month of that, I'd be so sick and tired of seeing them I would never want to own one. But it was fun for a while.

The last powerful sled I rode was a Ski-Doo Mach Z 1000cc two stroke which was rated at 168hp...it was quite a handful....

Lol!
Yeah, I'de imagine 168hp is, some of those things look incredibly quick!

I still have my 1998 SeaDoo GSXL with the white motor that can flip on it's back side if you pitch the nozzle to high and put your feet to the rear lol.
My son had a supercharger SeaDoo that was a handful to ride at boost. They are fun to ride but they sure do drink the fuel.

Got a 3 seater that will do 45 mph towing a tube then make a hard right and watch that tube pass the SeaDoo if you brave enough.

Last edited:
I still have my 1998 SeaDoo GSXL with the white motor that can flip on it's back side if you pitch the nozzle to high and put your feet to the rear lol.
My son had a supercharger SeaDoo that was a handful to ride at boost. They are fun to ride but they sure do drink the fuel.

Got a 3 seater that will do 45 mph towing a tube then make a hard right and watch that tube pass the SeaDoo if you brave enough.

The big ones do tow tubes really well, lol
But yeah, they really do go through some gas.

The big ones do tow tubes really well, lol
But yeah, they really do go through some gas.
My brother built fiberglas boats pretty much his entire life and one of the companies he worked for picked up a contract to build Sea-Doo Speedster boats for a while....they had a couple company boats that he could take out and they were a lot of fun....I was offered one at one time but declined knowing full well what kind of a pain in the arse owning one would be for storage and whatnot....

My brother built fiberglas boats pretty much his entire life and one of the companies he worked for picked up a contract to build Sea-Doo Speedster boats for a while....they had a couple company boats that he could take out and they were a lot of fun....I was offered one at one time but declined knowing full well what kind of a pain in the arse owning one would be for storage and whatnot....

Yeah, they are alot of money and upkeep, that I would never get my money's worth out of for the little I would use them.

Back