Anyone have a fitness success story?

I have been in and outa shape for many years back in 85' my 1 rep bench max was 425. I stopped lifting when I joined navy but started back many times and had no problem breaking 300 for bench press. It takes me about 6 months to get back to those heavier weights. Even back 2 years ago before I stopped training again, I was 39 was over 300 lbs bench.

In the process of getting back in shape I had a little incident where I got stuck under 275 lbs while trying 3 reps. My son had to go get my wife so they could help me get it back up. Ever since then I put stop bars just above chest level.

I think dips was my favorite lift though. I had to chain up 100+ lbs to my waist to get good resistance. People thought I was nuts.

I workout at home now so I don't get caught up in the heavy lift mentality. Its not good for the joints in fact I still ache in my hips from the squats I did when I was younger. Way too much weight.

I lost 25 lbs just by eating better and exercising a few times a week.
super.gif

I started going to a nutritionist that deals with eating right for your blood type, and your metabolic type.  I feel GREAT, I lost 15 lbs in about a month (actually lost 10 within the 1st week).  My blood pressure and cholesterol were up and that is why I went - not really for weight loss - although losing 10 lbs was nice, now people are saying i'm almost too skinny.

After a month my blood pressure is perfect, almost too low, so we are making a couple changes to get it up a tad.  And I am going to get my cholesterol checked in another month or two (gotta give that some time).  I also have been working out more efficiently, using the "interval" method for cardio and lifting to "failure" for weight lifting.  I feel great and now I know what foods effect me negatively.  
super.gif

And I have some friends that are going to this guy and I'm happy to see my friends are also losing weight and feeling better.

(MOKE89 @ Jul. 18 2007,12:40) How old are you? If you're near or over 30 good luck with the six pack.A few years ago i hit the weight room alot and looked and felt a ton better.We had our kid and the time  just isn't there anymore.I keep saying i gonna start again but saying it don't help.Somehow my former six pack is now more like a two liter!!
I just turned 31 this past March. I know what everybody says about reaching that threshold.
Being that I have only been at it for about seven weeks, I am doing fine. I do not want to get impatient and discouraged so I'll just press on.

I have always been a fitness freak, it was my escape as a troubled orphan kid growing up. I held the Connecticut Police bench press record for the 190lbs class at 405lbs for a while back in 1998. I also finished 2nd..twice (2002-2003) and third in (2004) in the Maryland State Police Strongman Competition. Now retired onto a new career at age 38....I look forward to Land Speed Racing..........and enjoying the short life we get by keeping as healthy as I can.

16 yrs ago (I'm 50 now) I was pretty chunky but thought I was in good shape. I went out one morning to run a mile to see how long it would take. I couldn't do it, in fact couldn't run one village block. That was a real eye opener. I started running everyday and never stopped. I lost 45 lbs in 3 months. Went from 230 lbs and a 36" waist to 156 lbs and a 31" waist in about 10 months. I decided to try a race and that was all it took. I got the running/racing fever but wasn't content finishing midpack so I trained very aggressively. Within the first couple of yrs I was finishing races almost always in the top 10% and in fact won 7 races overall. My best running accomplishment was probably the Utica Boilermaker which is the country's biggest 15k race. I had a goal a few years ago to bust an hour and actually ran it in 59:58 which put me in the top 300+ finishers out of about 9000 runners (that's a 6:26 pace).
I did run one marathon in Vermont but I am not interested in that distance anymore.
The most ironic part of all of this is the fact that when I went through the police academy, we had to run 2 miles, 3 days/week and I hated it. Go figure (but that was back in 1980)

Chief

well i lost 60lbs in like 4months because i was mad and ate salads 3 times a day that was it and i went to the gym 3 times a day and straight running. since then i gain like 40 back since i quit smoking and then i started smoking again. but now my platoon sgt doesnt like me cause she sent me to our supply unit and i was working to hard for them and so she made me come back to the unit and doesnt talk to me know cause she hates them that bad .....and well needlesss to say i am on gate guard now dealing with every iraqi that comes to the fob so now i have to ware my wonderful gear all day and wonder if the next iraqi i search is going to blow me up
SHOCKED.gif
but afterwards i go to the gym and run.. but he is not lying they want to F***k with soldiers about what they eat BUT they only serve fried foods and the same crap everyday chick tenders or chicken nuggets and pizza and the salad is either yellow or brown....
then they want to put it in public paper that soldiers cholesterol
is to freakin high.. i wonder what einstein figured that out.. HAHA and food at the px you will never get especially when aafes is not priority on convoy and you got thousands of soldiers on a small ass fob in the middle of the worest place of all. only thing that they serve good in iraq is EVERY FRIDAY surf and turf steak and shrimp. and now they are bout to put a mcdonalds, burger king, and a pizza hut on our fob please be real.
super.gif

I greatly improved my life about 8 years ago by getting rid of 160Lbs, I could breathe better, sleep better, move around better. I could go in my garage and work on my toys all night if I wanted too with my new found energy. It was a great feeling to divorce that bi%^ and watch those 160Lbs leave my life
ices_rofl.gif
ices_rofl.gif

ices_rofl.gif

(GPW @ Jul. 19 2007,06:19) I have always been a fitness freak, it was my escape as a troubled orphan kid growing up. I held the Connecticut Police bench press record for the 190lbs class at 405lbs for a while back in 1998. I also finished 2nd..twice (2002-2003) and third in (2004) in the Maryland State Police Strongman Competition. Now retired onto a new career at age 38....I look forward to Land Speed Racing..........and enjoying the short life we get by keeping as healthy as I can.
Thats great Greg

My weight class was difficult. I was competing at 165 and it seems that they were all benching 3 times body weight I just never could get that high at least in Florida back in 1985. At least I beat everyone at the gym pound for pound. They had a strong man contest and I beat everyone in the teen and adult class when I was 17. Even beat 2 pro wrestlers pound for pound of course. Their total weight was higher but there ya go.

Of course I am now 200 lbs and 5'6" and just getting back in gym for the umteenth time.

(warwgn @ Jul. 19 2007,08:56) I greatly improved my life about 8 years ago by getting rid of 160Lbs, I could breathe better, sleep better, move around better. I could go in my garage and work on my toys all night if I wanted too with my new found energy. It was a great feeling to divorce that bi%^ and watch those 160Lbs leave my life
ices_rofl.gif

ices_rofl.gif
Hilarious!!!
laugh.gif

ices_rofl.gif

Back