Illegal gas caps

Busa1166

Donating Member
Registered
Anyone here ever got a ticket for using a non DOT approved gas cap. I haven't but found a really nice cap diamond cut with the Kanji an Hayabusa logo on it. Wondering if the only reason it's not DOT approved if it's because it lacks a key or is there some safety problem with it ??? Or was it the product was never submitted or tested for certification or approval for some reason..

Guess the main question is, is my bike going to explode cause the fumes are getting out or run poorly cause it doesn't seal as well, humidity or water getting in.. :laugh:

Found a pic. Dam 179.00 I may be the one at the store just to resell it make a profit an buy 2 more an so on :rofl:

Also I like it but not enough to pay that an the one at the store had diamond cut etching round the top which looks nicer imo

gas cap.jpg

Last edited:
i didnt know you could get a ticket for a gas cap.???

I am pretty sure you can get a ticket for just about anything you put on the bike that is not intended for street use, from tires to PC fuel management sys to mufflers, headlights :whistle: :laugh:

Thats what the disclaimer is for :)

There would have to be some really bad Kharma around you for a cop to give you a ticket for a bad cap. Either that or hes one ticket short of his bonus check !

I am pretty sure you can get a ticket for just about anything you put on the bike that is not intended for street use, from tires to PC fuel management sys to mufflers, headlights :whistle: :laugh:

Thats what the disclaimer is for :)

whats the difference between a gas cap legal for street use and one that isnt? seems like all caps should meet a certain requirement to keep the gas in the tank.

whats the difference between a gas cap legal for street use and one that isnt? seems like all caps should meet a certain requirement to keep the gas in the tank.

:dunno: Myself But when they put not intended for street use on a package, reminds of those tinted headlight covers that was all the rage when they came out, hard to find a car with them on now :rofl: people get tired of the LEO :poke: an just give up :laugh:

DOT approved gas cap? Never heard of such a thing although I did get a ticket for "no gas cap" in 1976 on a flat bed truck, it was a motorcycle cop and he pointed out that it could create a hazard for motorcyclists if the gas were to spill out on the roadway.

Never heard of that either. And long since got rid of the stock gas cap & base assembly for the ProTek one.

Img_3685_protek_gascap.jpg

One I've always thought pretty cool was RIS makes a see-through gas cap. Trick.

SUZ-FCR-3CC.jpg

Img_3685_protek_gascap.jpg

SUZ-FCR-3CC.jpg

Hey stop being a Pu--- first off your tank is vented throught an overflow tube second off stop being a pu--- if you like it just get it and enjoy:rulez:

Pu--- :moderator:

If you get pulled over and they really want to give you a ticket yopu'll get a ticket no matter what. Improper lane change, unsafe riding, etc... they don't have to pick over your bike for an excuse.

Back