Whistling gas cap

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
What’s the deal? The tech that ran my valves replaced all the vent hoses (OEM replacements) and still the cap whistles. I (think) I cleaned the vent hole in the cap too. He also told me that several guys that he knows who ride Suzukis have the same complaint, when it’s warm outside their gas caps whistles. This phenom didn’t start until about a year ago. Fumes seeping from my gas cap doesn’t seem exactly safe either. There’s a reason for long down tube vent hoses. What to try next, a new gas cap? If so, what could be wrong with the original? Could the old gasket not be tight enough when closed which would seem to be the way it’s supposed to work, forcing fumes out of the vent hoses right? I’m approaching 63,000 and it is 12 years old. Hasn’t anyone else around here had this problem?

No more whistling!:) Installed the new ProTek gas cap and apparently that solved the problem. Still surprised I’m the only one not being the oldest or having the highest mileage. Not happy w/o being able to lock it but only have to worry at motels overnight.:confused:

Mine started to do this few weeks when it was warm...

Went for ride yesterday and when I put her back in the garage, it started whistling. Temp was about 55'F....

Possible it's just the o-ring...not really wanting to replace the entire assembly but I will if I have to...

forgot....checked the vent tube and it's clear...

Mine started to do this few weeks when it was warm...

Went for ride yesterday and when I put her back in the garage, it started whistling. Temp was about 55'F....

Possible it's just the o-ring...not really wanting to replace the entire assembly but I will if I have to...

Try disassembling and cleaning the cap first.

Back