I'll be doing 1,000+ miles on Monday, the 31st

I thought they would get wet today, just didn't think we would have the strong storms so early in the day. Hope they make it home ok:thumbsup:

We sure did from around 11:00am until about 5:00. Nothing but rain...hard at times. What an experience. Soaking wet from the waist down for almost 12 hours.

Glad to hear you made it home in 1 piece !!

What's funny is, rides like this are the ones that you never forget, and always talk about, especially if you have/had someone with you.

1000 miles in 1 day.....I couldn't imagine

1000 miles in 1 day in the rain...........wouldn't even try to :bowdown:

Congratulations! semi and I did 1K in a day last year. Decided to ride it at night. Weather report was clear skies the entire trip. They lied. Poring down rain for 200+ miles in the middle of the night. Wet for the next 8 hours. Those are the trips you remember :) Stories to last a lifetime.

Congratulations! Those are the trips you remember :) Stories to last a lifetime.

Thanks.:-)

True that.

I just got home from work and getting ready to have dinner. Will tell the story and post pics if I get a chance tonight.

Last edited:
Here are the mileage before and after the ride. Please subtract 151 from the total because I took it for a ride the day before and the morning that I was leaving, I was so excited that I forgot to take a pic of the beginning mileage.
4652464093_d71b7f59f6.jpg
4659522146_92141f5ccc.jpg

Also, I'm sorry if I didn't get to take that many scenic pics. The original plan was to get to Rock Hill, have lunch, and leave before the storm comes. We were planning to take more pics on the way back but from 11:30 until about 5:00, it was nothing but rain.

This is somewhere along I-81. It's our very first stop.
4658871807_0eb4634b6d_b.jpg

Second stop along I-81.
4659498660_7e83f66ff0_b.jpg

My co-worker's bike on the left.
4658873403_fb7a47be10_b.jpg

Still looking mighty clean.
4658877707_f1bbe0684c_b.jpg

Again, our bikes. I think this one's along I-77
4658876013_0866a95ee9_b.jpg

This is where the rain began. Union Grove, NC.
4659507926_23cbb1ceed_b.jpg

This is now in West Va. Rain just won't let up.
4658885341_7680474055_b.jpg

4659511292_65d907135b_b.jpg

This one's for you, Blanca. You can't eat off of this one, can you?
4658894599_92900c85c0_b.jpg

Clear skies, finally. This was in VA on our way back. We're about 100 miles or less from home.
4659520444_4baaa120f4_b.jpg

We were going to take I-81 all the way to I-70 on the way back but someone told us that it wasn't moving two miles up ahead of where we were so we decided to take some backroads to RT340N. We were still probably close to 200 miles short of our goal so when we got to Charlestown, West VA, we decided to take I-70 towards Baltimore and just keep riding until we hit 1,000 miles.

I still enjoyed the trip even though we were soaking wet and cold for almost 12 hours. It's still a good experience for me.

One thing I can tell you is those Avon Storms are amazing in the wet. We were still doing 70 mph in the rain and it felt like the roads are dry. NOT ONCE did I experience the bike sliding out underneath me. We were hitting those curves in the mountains of VA and West VA like they were dry. Simply amazing.

I would do another 1,000 miles a day in a heartbeat. It's my very first time and for sure, it won't be my last.

Already looking at the calendar for the next one.:laugh:

Last edited:
Even without the rain that was a heck of a ride:bowdown: Good tires make all the difference. Glad y'all made it without any difficulties!:beerchug:

Even without the rain that was a heck of a ride:bowdown: Good tires make all the difference. Glad y'all made it without any difficulties!:beerchug:

Thanks. I really don't mind riding in the rain but if you're getting hammered for almost 6 hours, it's something else. There were areas where it was raining so hard that I can still feel it even with my leather jacket on. I was like....."man, this is coming down hard".

Last edited:
Glad you had such a great time and made it back safely. Ok no resting please please go clean those wheels. LOL j/k I had to.:laugh: Awesome pics good times:thumbsup:

Hope your ride went well. Didn't get to do that many miles, but did get to do just over a 400 miles on the 'Busa. Got to hit some really good twisties here in Arizona.

This ride is one of the only times that your bike will ever be dirty! Had a set of Avon Storms on my 'Busa and loved every mile that I got out of them.

Back