ignition timing

jumjum01

Registered
Does anyone have experience with gen2 ignition timing advance? Older posts suggest that hayabusas dont like extra timing advance.
My setup is 1397ccm gen1 with gen2 ecu, 12.8 CR, full exhaust system, stock head, stock intake cam, gen3 ex cam, 100 octane RON fuel
On my last dyno run, I added 1,2 degrees of timing advance from 9600rpm up . It made an extra 3 HP compared to mode stock ignition map.
I used the "A+B+C" modes to change the ignition timing during the dyno. All "A+B+C" modes have the same autotuned fuel map and stock ignition map. Mode "B" had 0.8 deg. advance at 9600RPM and mode "C" 1.2 deg. advanced. Now I regret not having advanced the timing more, mabye 2-4 deg, to see what end result would have been..

you can use a special Woodruff key that causes as hardware a fix 4° ign. timing change
the key looks like this one (example)
dse042573-bf-_29190_.jpg

where to buy? sorry no clue. :(
this key can be used at the non-flashable ecu from ´99, ´00 and ´01
a friend of mine did so (4° earlier) way over 5 years ago at his gen1 with no issues at all

the other way to change the ignition timing at all 2002 busa til 2019
is to flash the ecu by a special computer program from PetriK (for free) and the interface from smithabusa / boostbysmith.
with that you can tinker a lot inside the ecu.

if you have a ´99, ´00 or ´01 you can switch from their old 16bit ecu to the newer 32bit from all gen1´s ´02 - ´07 and use then again the computer tool etc.
the how-to-switch the ecu from 16 to 32 bit you can read either here at the .org or there at my homepage.

Nels played with my timing on my Gen II a couple weeks ago, we found no real difference in advancing it, maybe 2 hp at 215 hp it was not worth taking a chance for what could be a less than a 1% power gain.

you can use a special Woodruff key that causes as hardware a fix 4° ign. timing change
the key looks like this one (example)
View attachment 1643619

where to buy? sorry no clue. :(
this key can be used at the non-flashable ecu from ´99, ´00 and ´01
a friend of mine did so (4° earlier) way over 5 years ago at his gen1 with no issues at all

the other way to change the ignition timing at all 2002 busa til 2019
is to flash the ecu by a special computer program from PetriK (for free) and the interface from smithabusa / boostbysmith.
with that you can tinker a lot inside the ecu.

if you have a ´99, ´00 or ´01 you can switch from their old 16bit ecu to the newer 32bit from all gen1´s ´02 - ´07 and use then again the computer tool etc.
the how-to-switch the ecu from 16 to 32 bit you can read either here at the .org or there at my homepage.
I believe Schnitz Racing still has them.

Back