Idle rpm

unkleslapnutz

Donating Member
Registered
I was wondering what everyones bike idles at? I am having an issue of my bike stalling out when I pull the clutch in on a higher RPM run....I was watching it yesterday and noticed the RPMs diving when I am sitting at a light. I know it needs to either be re-mapped or needs a PCIII because I can smell it running way rich right now. Maybe that is causing the stall? Who knows just looking to start somewhere in troubleshooting this issue. As far as mods go all I have done it a Yoshi 4-into-1 pipe, pair block off kit, and a K&N air filter. If anyone can gimme some insite that would be nice.

Oh yeah and I am idleing at about 900 rpms it looks like.

i think the book says 1250 or so. also the rpm guage is not horribly accurate. also, also, I prefer idling around 13 - 1400 meself. at any rate, set correctly, my gauge shows about 1100 + at normal idle

Mine idles at about 1100 - 1200 rpm
+1 , me thinks your idle is too low  
idea.gif

So I guess mine is idleing too low. Next question where do I fix that? I checked the PDF file with the maint manual and I dont remember a knob being where it said it is supposed to be. It is an 04 bike the manual is the one i downloaded from here. Does anyone know if the idle adjustment is diffrent on the 04's?

Check your idle first, then check your batter connections and then battery. After all of that then start thinking of a PC depending on your mods.

my 03 has an idle set screw on the right, almost under the tank. I would always work itself loose and lower every few month, but they put something on it to hold now, and it has. I found the screw with very little effort and I am very much NOT a mechanic

I believe the owners manual says 1050-1250.
true , the book says 1050-1250 , 900 will stall the bike , also more rpm than 1250 is not good , lift the tank you will see the idle screw on the right side , the book says you have to arrange the idle rpm every 1k km.

one more thing ,

you have to arrange the idle rpm when the engıne got heat and the cooler starts ...

My baby likes 1150RPM. When I picked her up new from the dealer, it was way too low.....1000 or so and would stall out when clutched at higher RPMs. Setting it up to 1150 cured that problem.

I was wondering what everyones bike idles at? I am having an issue of my bike stalling out when I pull the clutch in on a higher RPM run....I was watching it yesterday and noticed the RPMs diving when I am sitting at a light. I know it needs to either be re-mapped or needs a PCIII because I can smell it running way rich right now. Maybe that is causing the stall? Who knows just looking to start somewhere in troubleshooting this issue. As far as mods go all I have done it a Yoshi 4-into-1 pipe, pair block off kit, and a K&N air filter. If anyone can gimme some insite that would be nice.

Oh yeah and I am idleing at about 900 rpms it looks like.
I did the same install and my RPMs completely dropped to 800ish. I raised the RPMs to 1200 and all is well now. The bike still kinda ran like CRAP-OLA till I changed the plugs. +1

If you do adjust you're idle speed ..Make sure to put a little loctite on the threads or it will work loose again...

Back