I will never ever ride with my visor up while in a rural setting again!!!

Jaysdee

Registered
So, here I am, riding through a country a$s rural area of Northwest, VA and I decided to lift my visor so that I could "enjoy nature". As soon as I lifted it, a bug decided to make love to my face! It flew past my left eye and somehow nestled itself into my ear hole. I was desperately trying to find somewhere to pull off on this two lane highway that I happened to be on. There wasn't a shoulder present for at least a full mile! needless to say, I rode the rest of the way home with the visor DOWN!

:banghead:

Visor up momentarily... bee got me right in the temple.

3 hours later...

7941735206_9f1c7be2e1_b.jpg

Next morning... Couldn't see. Couldn't get my eye open.

Had to lead the Pashnit Tour with my good eye. :laugh: Took two days for swelling to go down & all good.

I'm told this can be super-serious if you're allergic.

7941477330_c2a744cfe0_b.jpg

Ouch Pashnit! That looks painful...

I had a bird at dusk fly up and hit my shoulder, and through leathers the sting was so severe, all I wondered is how do guys/gals ride with half-helmets and sunglasses?! I'd be knocked out and dead on the side of the road. I had a bruise on my shoulder from that tiny bird; if it had hit my face, I would have looked like I'd been in a bar brawl :rofl:

Glad you didn't end up looking like Pashnit Jaysdee!!

I ate alot of bugs everytime I lift my visor over the years

3 hours later...

Had to lead the Pashnit Tour with my good eye. :laugh: Took two days for swelling to go down & all good.

I was told by a doctor that everytime you're stung you're one step closer to anaphylaxis shock. You might want to start carrying a pen.

Ouch Pashnit! That looks painful...

I had a bird at dusk fly up and hit my shoulder, and through leathers the sting was so severe, all I wondered is how do guys/gals ride with half-helmets and sunglasses?! I'd be knocked out and dead on the side of the road. I had a bruise on my shoulder from that tiny bird; if it had hit my face, I would have looked like I'd been in a bar brawl :rofl:

Glad you didn't end up looking like Pashnit Jaysdee!!

Was Omar around :whistle:

3 hours later...

YIKES.....:hide:

I honestly don't know how the HD riders do it?? They ride around with skully's and sunglasses if that??? I've got my fair share of bugs and rocks 2 the visor and I thought 4 sure my visor was cracked! I own a Nightrod and guys give me a strange look when I pull up wearing a full face :laugh:

I was on my way to school one day when a very large bug hit the bottom edge of my helmet right at the chin. Had to go home and take a shower to get the bug guts off my neck.

I was riding my enduro down the road when I saw something way out there in perfect focus. It was a lovely hornet and I watched it fly right at me and hit me just below the bicep and sting the crap outta me. I almost crashed but managed to pull over and swat that bastard.

In the Random Thoughts section we were taking about Helmet usage both for and against.

I had posted, that besides the safety reasons - bugs were a big reason that I still wear a helmet even though my state repealed the law last year.

So when I see someone riding with just sunglasses on (and no windshield of any kind) I think to myself "what an idiot", because
they must be getting hit with bugs all the time. I prefer not to eat bugs. Then there are also the guys that thinks shirtless is cool - can you imagine what that feels like!

Who here never has to clean bugs off of their bike, helmet, or jacket after riding for a short time? (unless you like the look of bugs on you or your bike :rofl:)

So when it comes down to it, a helmet protects us from a lot of things.

Now when you are talking about the future you shouldn't use the word never as you don't know what the future holds.
Every once in awhile I will go through a school zone (at the wrong time of day) and you have to slow down (25mph here) and on a hot day I
would have no problem lifting my visor for a little cooler air. I'm sure there are other conditions that would allow the visor to be lifted too. JMHO.

Whether I have the visor up or down, I always wear eye protection too! Just seems to make sense to me...

Man I never ride without my helmet, a couple of times a rock hit my visor so I could imagine if that was my face it hit.

pashnit if you had been allergic to bees you would have died from that sting.

Some of the debris that has hit my helmet and face shield over the years really makes me wonder how anyone can ride at all without a full face helmet.

@ Pashnit,, WOW, that looks painful!

Same thing happened to me. Bug hit then started crawling around and eventually in my left ear.

As this is happening scenes from "star trek 2 the wrath of kan" start running through my head.

damn tim....ouch...i ride with my visor up most of the time as its more air flow...but i am always wearing wrap arround sunglasses during the day or safety glasses at night...yes occasionlly i get a bug smacking me but its the price i pay i guess....actually had a bug in my beard at the bash...tasha thought it was hillarious lol

I very rarely ride with my visor down, it feels to enclosed.
But once I got hit in the eye by something and it scratched it.
It took months to feel right again.
Kept on irritating.

Back