I will never ever ride with my visor up while in a rural setting again!!!

pashnit if you had been allergic to bees you would have died from that sting.

I've never had that issue with bee stings, had my share through the years while riding. And no, not allergic to anything. Another time got one in the back of the neck while leading another tour. Wasn't sure how he was able to fly that fast & catch up to me!

I had to read up on that level of swelling later on -evidently when you are stung on the top half of your head, all the blood vessels in your upper face carry the venom better. Bottom half of your head - chin for example - not so bad. But getting me in the temple - obviously exactly where the bee would go when you flip up the visor - was the worst possible place to get stung from the standpoint of human anatomy & where the venom goes.

One of the fellas on that tour was indeed allergic , and his last sting had sent him to the emergency room so he watched over me pretty closely. We were in a really remote area of NorCal so likely 2 hrs from closest hospital. (if someone crashes badly, we need a helicopter).

But overall, that was first. We're talking 25+ yrs & 200,000+ miles of riding & that's never happened before.

One of the fellas on that tour was indeed allergic , and his last sting had sent him to the emergency room so he watched over me pretty closely. We were in a really remote area of NorCal so likely 2 hrs from closest hospital. (if someone crashes badly, we need a helicopter).

But overall, that was first. We're talking 25+ yrs & 200,000+ miles of riding & that's never happened before.

That's why you need to consider taking a Pen. At least carry a few benadryl

lol. feel your pain. sorry to see that... when i was a kid growing up in the rural area of Louisiana i was riding my dirt bike wearing a 3/4 helmet and a big azz red wasp flew in between my head and helmet. needless to say i came un glued...lol

Im allergic to bee and wasp stings so I carry an Epipen and also carry supermarket own brand Cetirizine Hydrochloride tablets with me, they are much cheper than branded tablets and contain the same ingredients.

The worst thing I had when I had my visor raised was when I had just set off and all of a sudden I couldnt see a thing, it was a feet down and hope I stopped it without hitting anything moment. A bird had dropped its guts above me and it had come straight into my helmet and into my eyes, the bird must have been a sniper as it was a perfect shot, not one bit touched my helmet/lining of helmet or visor, just straight in and into my eyes. Stung like mad and had to go into a shop to ask if I could was my eyes out.

I heard something interesting today, I did not know.

I was told by fellow cyclists not wear yellow this time of the year while riding, as the spring flowers have all the bees out working and yellow apparently attracts bees.

nom, nom, nom :thumbsup:

IMG_2831.jpg

Alright at this point I'll chip in with my Deer story...

My second season riding, I was on my 03 ZX9R leaving the home of a friend who was driving a car behind his friend riding his busa behind me. I saw about 12 deer trotting along side the road so i flashed my brakes at the guys behind me, and lowered our speed to 35 or so. I remember seeing the deer move away from the road to the left, I looked foreword again then BAM! I look down at my lap and there was a deer head there and then I see the ground. This was literally all i remember about it!

I wake up and my friend is standing next to me while I am sitting on the ground next to my bike thinking "WTF just happened?!"
He asks if i'm okay and that all important question comes out "what happened?"

apparently, Rambo-deer decided to break away from the herd and tried to run through me. When this didn't work and it was effectively being dragged along by my bike, it jumped and rolled over me from the left and ran off to my right. I somehow managed to keep the bike upright the whole time, but did put my foot down to push off the ground to keep it up (My boot on the right foot no longer has the heal as evidence as we later found out) I turned off the bike and sat down next to it.

The moral of the story is: If you plan on riding without a helmet, you are an idiot number 1. Number 2, if you have a story that sounds like its a load of BS, like getting hit by a deer, make sure you have it on tape or witnesses to back it up. (By the way, that is why i have the "got deer" picture, consider yourselves "in" on the inside joke!

-D

I had my visor half up one day, and a bee hit the bottom edge of my shield.
Half the bee stayed there and the other half ended up in my open mouth.

Im allergic to bee and wasp stings so I carry an Epipen and also carry supermarket own brand Cetirizine Hydrochloride tablets with me, they are much cheper than branded tablets and contain the same ingredients.

The worst thing I had when I had my visor raised was when I had just set off and all of a sudden I couldnt see a thing, it was a feet down and hope I stopped it without hitting anything moment. A bird had dropped its guts above me and it had come straight into my helmet and into my eyes, the bird must have been a sniper as it was a perfect shot, not one bit touched my helmet/lining of helmet or visor, just straight in and into my eyes. Stung like mad and had to go into a shop to ask if I could was my eyes out.

What are the odds?!?!?! Must have been your lucky day I guess!

YIKES.....:hide:

I honestly don't know how the HD riders do it?? They ride around with skully's and sunglasses if that??? I've got my fair share of bugs and rocks 2 the visor and I thought 4 sure my visor was cracked! I own a Nightrod and guys give me a strange look when I pull up wearing a full face :laugh:
Easy, they ride slooooowwwww.

nom, nom, nom :thumbsup:

That's how real men ride - facing nature, and not hiding from it behind some plastic crap. Those sissies on crotch rockets are not real men. :rofl:

I never ride with the visor up. The worst I had when the bee hit my chest and ricocheted right inside the helmet. I held my lips tight, stopped breathing, squinted so I could barely see, and then flipped the visor up for a moment, and the wind blew the bee away.

Another one was when at highway speed I observed a spider casually crawling across the inside of my visor. Opening the visor was not an option. Here we go again.. lips tight, slow breathing, squinted, pulled over, helmet off, whew..

That's how real men ride - facing nature, and not hiding from it behind some plastic crap. Those sissies on crotch rockets are not real men. :rofl:

those are all Busa bugs...if i had been on a Harley, most of those bugs would have been able to get out of my way :lol:

I usually ride with my visor slightly open until about 45-50 mph to get some cooling effect, but one ride it really went wrong when a bird flew into my helmet and bloodied my cheek real good. One of my companions saw the poof of feathers as I had no view of it, just a searing pain and a stab wound, I assume from his beak.
Needless to say I don't keep it open anymore.

I hit a little bird we call a "Killdeer" (not sure if that's a real name!) once on my VFR during a spirited ride - the little bird exploded in a cloud of feathers on my helmet, and it immediately smelled like I'd just shoved my head up a pheasants butt. My wife's cousin behind me saw the feathers (never did find the body) and the guts were proff of the story! Never have ridden on the street without a visor down, I used to ride on the farm on a dirt bike with no helmet, and as soon as I got one, I recognized the bug-free benefits!

I always wear my crash helmet, but just think about it, I never wear it to walk anywhere, the conclusion therefore must be, that's how come Harley riders can get away with it. Both the rider and the bug have time to change direction and thus avoid any collisions.

Back