I think I'm ready for a busa, but wanted to ask u?

I can only comment on the pillion question:

I've ridden on the back of GJoker's Busa. It's a bit different than the Katana.. More roomy, but the torque does make you slide a bit. And he's a tad hard on the brakes so I tend to come up off the seat on the Busa.. whereas the katana, I didn't. But I found if I have my hands forward and resting on the tank, I have more control of my butt
laugh.gif

But for just doing a long straight haul.. it's a LOT more comfortable in the back, lots of room, I didn't feel like I was crowding him. I didn't even hang on most of the time. I just rested my hands either on his thighs, or on my own.

Just a few weeks ago we went on a day trip... I think we hit 150 on one straightaway... he said he hardly notices I'm back there (And I'm closer to your nephew's weight than your wife's. ) unless I start moving around.
blush.gif

<!--EDIT|TheKatsMeow
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126099781 -->

With the experience you have on the Katana you should be fine. The Busa is an amazingly well designed, well constructed machine with great manners. It's ultra smooth and docile in everyday use, but. . . when you wack open the throttle it's like being launched on the space shuttle. The power is stunning and never ceases to put a grin on my face.

I ride two up with my wife (5'4" 135 lbs.) and it's no problem at all. She has a bad back so when we hit bumps it hurts her a little, but other than that it's very comfortable for her.

We will be getting a Corbin pillion with back rest and I beleive that this will help alot, both her and me. She does slide into me when breaking but I'm supporting myself with the handle bars and I'm expecting it so it's not a major problem.

Just ride within your capabilties and pick your moments "to feel the need for speed" and you'll be fine with "our blessed lady of acceleration".

Fred
wink.gif
xblueman.gif

As far as worried about flying off the bike, taking off and bike going straight up it could happen If you launch the h*ll out of it but how often do you need to launch a bike that hard unless you're 1/4 mileing the thing and trying to pop a sub 10 second 1/4 but your normal riding around you'll love the Busa Very comfortable, very controllable, as far as two up riding its great on the busa everyone i've had on loves the smoothness and comfort, tell the wifey/girlfriend there is a grab handle back there for a reason, when stopping a little quicker I tell them to use one hand put in the middle of my back to hold themselves back, if you throttle it hard passenger needs to have hands wrapped and locked around you or they may come off. AND ABOVE TELL THEM TO RELAX AND ENJOY DON'T BE JUMPING AROUND BACK THERE But as far as the way you are going about getting the Busa you should be fine and will really enjoy it. Once you ride The Busa you'll see where we are coming from its not all about 0-100 in less than 6 seconds or 186 miles on hour(well not all about that anyways) the bike is just a blast to ride I catch myself taking off just cruisin around because I love riding in general and this bike enhances that feeling

From the questions you're asking it's obvious you respect the 'Busa's potential. As long as you maintain that attitude, and take your time familiarizing yourself with the bike, you'll be fine.

The 'Busa power delivery is very linear, it doesn't have any suprises unless you get stupid with your throttle hand. There's plenty of torque low down so you don't need to get into the higher rpm regions when you're learning how the bike handles. Every time you go out to ride, give your tires time to warm up before you get "enthusiastic" when cornering.

It's a great bike for two-up touring. My wife tells me she has difficulty staying awake on the highway sometimes because it's smooth and comfortable (but get a Corbin rear seat with backrest, your passenger will thank you.) Totally different in the twisties of course! The passenger should use their thighs to brace themselves against you when braking, and either hold the grabrail or reach around and brace their hands against the tank to keep some of their weight off you in hard braking situations. Most of the time you will not notice a light passenger because the bike has so much powerr, as long as they know how to keep still and follow your lead etc.

Ride safe and wear your gear!
smile.gif

If you feel more than confident after riding that Katana, you should be ok on the Busa. I say go for it and take time to get used to her awe-inspiring power.

you have some good experience with your Katana, you should fine with the busa, just have a lot of respect for the bike. They can be the smoothest tourer you have ever rode and they also can scare the sh!d out of you at times. Just go easy while you get used to it. Do you have it yet!!!

im out on long island ,the busa is definatly a sweet ride , good for two up riding my wife fets a little cramped in the legs after about two hours she is lookin to get off and stretch . i am sure you will be happy with the power ,there is just one problem on the katana doin 130 it feels like 160 on the busa at 130 it feels like your doin 50 so at 130 in the bottom of third you still have alot of power and 3 gears to go ! the busa always wants to go faster !
biggrin.gif

I can only comment on the pillion question:

I've ridden on the back of GJoker's Busa. It's a bit different than the Katana.. More roomy, but the torque does make you slide a bit. And he's a tad hard on the brakes so I tend to come up off the seat on the Busa.. whereas the katana, I didn't. But I found if I have my hands forward and resting on the tank, I have more control of my butt
laugh.gif
The grab bar is there for you to hang on to under braking, cruising, and any time other than hard acceleration. It'll keep you in the seat and GJoker will appreciate you using it too.

You'll love the Busa. If you're wife's only 100 pounds, you'll likely never even know she's there. The Busa pulls me and my wiff along like a dream and we love it. She does slide into me if I pound that brake REALLY hard but I'm a big guy and it doesn't bother me if she slides in on me.

Watch that throttle. You don't EVER want to just snap it on!

--Wag--
What he said. Watch the throttle. Never, ever just snap it to full without being prepared for something violent!

Sounds like you have had enough seat time.

Get it. RESPECT IT, but get it.

You will NOT regret it!
biggrin.gif

Buy it, Respect it, and Love it. I was leary about a busa at first after not riding for 20 years. Okay, okay, I'm middle age
wink.gif
. She can be a tiger when you want, but she is a pussy cat when you don't.
You will not find a better bike to fall in love with.
Welcome.

I went on my first actual ride on my new busa today (9mi on odo at start)- rode a Road Star Warrior for 2 years 6k miles
some observations
holy snot this thing is fast !!
It takes a bit of practice NOT running into the back of people (objects in front of you will reel in real fast)
Very comfy-- in fact a lot better than the cruiser for me
I took it pretty easy and the front did get light on me shifting to second once. My buddies fz-1 will come up quicker than the busa (accidentally did about a 50mph wheelie on it) Very predictable and smooth in the turns (not railing yet tho)

The key to staying alive on a Busa is past experience, careful throttle contol, and a decent dose of maturity. Sounds like you have all that going for you, so I'd so go for it! Just realize you're really taking a big step up in performance, (but it's fun as all get-out)! The Busa has the ability to push nearly anyone's skill level to the max (and then some)! It's just a matter of knowing your personal driving limitations, and staying within them.

As for two up, I road my wife on the back once (she's 130#), and that was it. She wasn't comfortable being back there, but more importantly she wanted her own bike anyway, so she bought one.
tounge.gif
But your wife @ 100#..., you (and the Busa) won't know she's back there - but she still might not be that comfortable. My suggestion is, if 2-up is a priority, go sit on one with her and check it out first.

Back